New Wireless Router Suggestions

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
I am currently shopping for myself a new router and would be interested to hear any experience or suggestions you all have. First hand accounts would be preferred as every time I think that I may have decided on one and read a load of good reviews, I find the same router elsewhere with tons of bad reviews. Its driving me mad. I need it to at least meet the following specs:

Wireless N Specs
1 x WAN (modem) port
4 x LAN Ports
Dual Band would be nice but not necessary
Again, gigabit ports nice but not necessary
1 x USB port

This is the one so far that I am leaning towards, but not committed yet. :)

Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-655 Wireless Broadband Router Xtreme N Gigabit 802.11b/g/n up to 300Mbps/ USB port x1/ Intelligent QoS Technology for Gaming

Why the USB requirement?

Do you intend to run it on stock firmware or do you intend to go the DD-WRT route?

I should have said that USB was not a for sure requirement, just makes it more convenient for sharing an external HDD across multiple PCs, consoles, or other devices. I can make due without it.

Never heard of the other prior to your post, so no, it wasn't on my mind. Although, I am reading about it now. (y)

Never heard of the other prior to your post, so no, it wasn't on my mind. Although, I am reading about it now.

I haven't used it personally either but it it supposed to unlock the full capabilities of compatible routers. I don't know about your side, but over here, many BB providers lock down their routers to restrict users port forwarding among other things. They do it to keep a leash on the amount of knowledge\expertise their support staff need to have & make troubleshooting easier all round. DD-WRT is also said to unleash extra options on routers shipped direct from manufactures.

I've had a vast array of routers over the years and my preference would be Linksys\Cisco and Netgear. The most important aspect for me is as full as possible access to the brains of the device ;)

Thanks Gman. I had read some reviews that had the new linksys routers rated really well, but then when I went shopping I found a ton of negative reviews as well. So I came here asking for help and personal experience. While reading of the webpage you posted regarding DD-WRT, I came across references to routers by buffalo, which use that as their firmware. I guess that could be an option as well. Still kinda lost, but I appreciate your input. :)

I think to be honest, one can get totally bogged down if one delves too much into the technical side of things for too long, almost to the point of total confusion :whacko:

Take a step back and ask yourself these questions,

1. What exactly do I want from my router?

2. What is my budget?

3. Can I buy a reasonably well known brand router that has what I need and is within budget?

If the answer to No3 is yes? then you've pretty much answered your own question.

I'm not in anyway knocking intelligent research (In fact I'm all for it) but at the end of the day a router is just a router and you normally won't go too far wrong sticking to a well trusted brand. No matter what review you read you will always get the lovers & haters?

Best of luck with whatever choice you make (y)

I ended up going with the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2. Got it a couple days ago and I liked a lot of things about it. It comes loaded with DD-WRT firmware and I was amazed at the list of features and options available with this setup. However, for it to claim to be "high power" on the wireless range, I was pretty disappointed. The coverage was no better than my old Belkin. Then this morning I updated the firmware through the routers web interface and lost internet connectivity. It seemed to no longer recognize or connect to my modem. I tried everything that I could think of, hard resets, manually updating firmware, and then tried using the included CD to rollback to the original, all to no avail. Finally, broke down and called the manufacturer and went through the steps with them, pretty much everything I had already tried, and in the end they suggested returning the product. So I will be out the return shipping. :mad:

Very frustrating in all of this. My next thoughts were that I would go with a wired multi-port router and then use a wireless access point. That would actually work out much better for my set up and I thought it would save some money. However, after pricing access point devices, that is not the case. So I guess I am back in the same boat as I was initially, and I don't like it.

Anyway, just thought I would share and rant a little.

Did you put the modem in bridge mode or simply assign a different IP to the router?

Or did you just piggyback the two?

Sorry to hear it went belly up on you, I know only too well how frustrating that crap can be.

Yes, I had the modem in bridged mode. When I first started figuring this out a couple years ago, not that I am really much better off now, I just plugged the router in behind the modem and went with it. But I ran into issues with connections failing and I think most of them were from DHCP conflicts with the two network devices.

I take it from your setup your on a phone connection? Why not run with one box, Modem\Wireless Router?

The wireless modem/routers that the phone company will provide have only one LAN port, I need more than that. Also have not had any luck finding one to purchase that I think will work. If I could eliminate some of the hassle and just have one box, I would be all for it.

That's why I was suggesting to replace the phone company's modem with a single 4 port DSL wireless modem router. Surely they are standard now like they are here? It would be different if it was a cable modem that had to be provisioned by your provider. Am I missing something that's different in your case?

Thats odd, it could be that I just haven't looked in the right places, but it seems to me that on my side, cable modem/routers abound but DSL modem/routers are much harder to come by. I will just have to look harder.

Your looking for something like this right?

ModemRouter.jpg

Available from Newegg HERE:

I'm sure they have more models too?

All of the providers here have the dual box available, some give with the package others you get the modem only and you have to phone them up and purchase the Modem\Router off them at a one off charge.

I'm sure too that the technology there is similar to here?

You have to enter settings such as below on a new combo box

Code:
[B]

DSL Modem[/B]

Connection Protocol: PPPOE

Modulation Type: G.DMT(G992.1/3/5)

Multiplexing: LLC

VPI: 8

VCI: 35

Security Protocol: PAP

Username: Detailed from your provider

Password: Detailed from your provider

Wan IP: Automatically Assigned

Default Gateway: Automatically Assigned

[B]DNS[/B]
DNS Server 1: xx.xxx.xxx.xx
DNS Server 2: xx.xxx.xxx.xx

Yeah that is pretty much how it is, except they (or at least my provider) will not sell you the modem. You have to pay a monthly lease of around 5 dollars. I phoned them the other day and said I wanted to return their modem and purchase my own, as it would pay for itself in 5 or 6 months. They are sending me a return label but stated that if I had any issues with the new modem they would not be able to offer support, which usually doesn't amount to crap anyway.

Anyway, just trying to figure the best and most cost effective approach. It is almost a toss up between the combination modem/router and the separate modem and router. Especially as I have a modem that I found lying in a box at work that I am using at the moment. lol

Even though I know better, I do get hung up on reading the reviews, especially on products that I have little experience or knowledge of. For instance the modem/router you posted a little bit ago, has pretty rough reviews. It makes it hard for me to commit on something, especially just getting through a bad experience with my latest purchase. As you stated early in this thread it is easy to get overwhelmed, and that is where I am right now. What I would like to have and do, I have a hard time convincing myself that it is worth the money. lol Thanks for all your help mate. :)

I know ferg, it's so easy to get into a twist.

Take your time, you have Internet right now, so allow the rationale to return lol

I wasn't recommending that particular router to you, was just pointing out that they are available. That said, I've used many different routers and never really had any bad experience with Netgear. Linksys (now Cisco) were my favorite though.

I've just moved from an ADSL2+ line to cable (fibre) last Monday because the line from the exchange to my house was pure crap and it was never going to improve anytime soon. I'm well pleased with the new service with the exception of having to use the supplied router (Cisco in this case so not too bad). Cable companies here assign a Mac address to your router so it works on their cable (they call it provisioning) and it won't work with a 3rd party box unless they work their magic on it, and they won't do it). I just hate when I don't have full control over my networks hardware lol

Last edited:
Picked up a Netgear WNDR3400 last week. Got a factory refurbished for about half price. So far it has been working good. Wireless signal is still a little less than what I hoped for, but I think a lot of that is location, which unfortunately I can't do much about. The web interface is a little bit clunky but so far I have been able to set everything up as needed. Anyway, hoping it last me as long as my first router did and stays trouble free.
Thanks again for all the help Gman. (y)

Best of luck with it buddy (y)

I'm a firm believer that routers get tired over time (no scientific prof of that, just my theory) it's just that time has proven to me that routers get finicky after a year or two and the only solution is to change them.

I think it's down to continuous heat, they do tend to get quite hot & we all know that electronics greatest enemy is heat.

Last edited:
Why don't you look at Home Plugs as an option

Homeplug-house_500x298.jpg

Or,

Wall Powered Wireless Signal Repeater and WiFi Access Point to improve your wireless signal.

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336a5bc04073cc9e0b33b7908308e14f62f.jpg

Back