HD51 4K No power to box help

ASHHBI

TK Veteran
Looks like the box has died on me. :emoji_angry::emoji_angry:
Power lead working fine but box will not power up. No lights. Nothing.
Anyone have any idea's what it might be?

(ps. my lad has just informed he plugged a different power lead in by mistake and its not worked since) Obviously something has blown. What would have blown and is it repairable?

Thanks

Oh crap might have to go topless to see as circuit board could be fried.
Hmm 12 volt power supply is the + feed in the centre or outside of pin, and what power supply was inserted?

Last edited:
Go into the box remove hard drive if fitted try then to boot the box
Also inspect the board inside for damage / burn marks
There may be a fuse inside i can't remember

I have removed the board and can’t see any burn marks. There is no fuse anywhere. That’s the first thing I checked. Have not removed hard drive so will give that a go.

Ps cactikid. Not sure what incorrect power supply was inserted when it blown. Dumb Son did it.

Might mention now as every time one buys a new electrical toy is to write on plug in white/black marker what its used for and not end up with a drawer of unknown power supplies as none are standard as one finds out later.
Tv repair shop could check it but if boards are gone might be toast,maybe contact wos for help if bought from them.

Sorry for the slow reply iv’e been quite occupied today
Ok fantastic photo’s i have had a good look and i can’t see any blown components
I would check the continuity of the surface mounted fuse F3 this is located behind the power socket inlet, also check the continuity of more items behind the power socket
Are you sure your psu is working correctly needs to be 12v 3amps ?
Did you try the box with the hard drive not connected ?
I hope your lucky with this one

Last edited:
How did you get on with the box?
Did you check fuses as dave100 said?
All ok now?
Don't dump it if its gone, I'll take a look if you send it me.
Cant promise anything but ……..

Hi ASHHBI, how did you fare with the power problem. I had exactly the same problem and I could not find the fault. I replaced the box with another second-=hand one (Mutant HD51 and it failed in exactly the same way. I'm extremely disappointed as I thought it was a brilliant receiver. I suspect that it was caused by a short when putting in the jack plug at back of the box as I saw a tiny spark. However I'm not an electrician so I could be way off the mark.

Hi ASHHBI, how did you fare with the power problem. I had exactly the same problem and I could not find the fault. I replaced the box with another second-=hand one (Mutant HD51 and it failed in exactly the same way. I'm extremely disappointed as I thought it was a brilliant receiver. I suspect that it was caused by a short when putting in the jack plug at back of the box as I saw a tiny spark. However I'm not an electrician so I could be way off the mark.
ASHHBI hasn't been online for over two years so it's unlikely he'll reply to this thread.
As has been pointed out, removing live cables to/from any device is not a good idea, and this includes HDMI cables, always make sure devices are powered off first.
Have you tried a different PSU on the box or have you tried your PSU on a different box?

ASHHBI hasn't been online for over two years so it's unlikely he'll reply to this thread.
As has been pointed out, removing live cables to/from any device is not a good idea, and this includes HDMI cables, always make sure devices are powered off first.
Have you tried a different PSU on the box or have you tried your PSU on a different box?
Yes, I did both. All that remains is test for continuity and I'll do that later today. I found a thread last night on TK which shows an area behind the power input where there is a component labelled F3 so I'm also wondering now if such parts can be purchased online so that they can be replaced by soldering.. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did both. All that remains is test for continuity and I'll do that later today. I found a thread last night on TK which shows an area behind the power input where there is a component labelled F3 so I'm also wondering now if such parts can be purchased online so that they can be replaced by soldering.. Thanks for your reply.
Yes it's in post #12 above, the component you are looking for is arrowed here:
IMG_20230803_105932.jpg

Back