no signal

If your guy who set the dish up said you was getting 99% at the dish with is meter, then went inside to connect your box and had no signal. Why did he not use is meter on the cable at the box end to eliminate everything to the box. Thats what I don't understand here.

I have re-ended the f-connectors on the box 3 times and to perfection on the last time, as for the dish I cannot say because I haven't got ladders to check but the guy that installed it was a qualified engineer..apparently..
To be honest it's probably blocked by the trees And poorly wired to the dish...the guy seemed to be at a lose what to do when he couldn't get a signal, told me to get a sky box and try that..if it still didn't get a signal call him and he'd put the dish on a pole for an extra £30...paid him £80 already

---------- Post Merged at 08:28 PM ----------

If your guy who set the dish up said you was getting 99% at the dish with is meter, then went inside to connect your box and had no signal. Why did he not use is meter on the cable at the box end to eliminate everything to the box. Thats what I don't understand here.

Very good point!
I didn't think of that.. I don't think he did either!...this guy is sounding more and more like a cowboy the more I think about it.

If this guy you used is not that clued up. the dish may be on line with another sat. so you will not get any signal on 28.2e. Try changing one of the tuners to 19.2e and see if that pull in a signal. you can check the signal using the sat finder in the image software. should be in menu/ service searching, sat finder if using open vix.

Yeah you could well be right, I'll check it in the morning because the missus is watching a film on kodi ad the moment.

dumb **** trees grow lol he should have known that a 0 signal will happen if blocked by trees tell him that 16 ft pole he will be mounted on shortly if not fixed.i had the same issue with broadband lost it when trees grew too high.

Well that's what was thinking.. Plus the trees are lacking leaves at this time of year so it'll be worse cone summer

---------- Post Merged at 09:48 PM ----------

Willwino1
If you have an android phone then download the app called satellite pointer.
It gives you line of sight info to see if the sat position is obstructed ?

Thanks I have downloaded it and I'll try it tomorrow morning

This thread brings back memories of me trying to install my own dish kit without a clue what I was doing last year.

Through trial an error here is how I fixed mine. (although I didn't have any obstacles in the line of site)

I used dishpointer.com for a a rough line of site for my satellite. I used the line on the map to see roughly the direction it was going and used a reference point on the map (i.e a straight line to my neighbours chimney.)

I then used a cheap ebay signal meter to get a more accurate direction.

Then I went to my box and I had no signal. noooooooo.

Re-ended the cables. Nothing.

Re-ended the cables again. Nothing.

Youtube time.

[video=youtube;v2v7fLHZzzM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2v7fLHZzzM[/video]

Houston we have lift off. Finally on the third attempt I had signal. It was about 70% on bbc so I was pretty chuffed with myself that I some how managed to set this up on my own with no knowledge whatsoever.

Then I tried watching other channels at it was breaking up a glitching like mad.

Through further research I found there was many apps you can download (android) to fine tune your dish while up the ladder while showing the signal of your box on your phone. Who needs an expensive satellite tuner.

Highly recommend Dmsatfinder and Enigma Signal Meter(satfinder). Just make sure your adjustments are absolutely minuscule while fine tuning.

The above might not be your solution, but it might help in your trial and error quest to find your solution.

And if it wasn't for all these initial problems I wouldn't have been on this forum now. My enigma2 skinning journey would never have happened and I would have done what a large majority of people do. Set it up. Watch tv. end of.
Instead I spent all the time my box was working just reading all the posts on this forum and now I am extremely knowledgeable about these boxes....and now I pretty much live on this forum. Its a funny old world.

Last edited:
This thread brings back memories of me trying to install my own dish kit without a clue what I was doing last year.

Through trial an error here is how I fixed mine. (although I didn't have any obstacles in the line of site)

I used dishpointer.com for a a rough line of site for my satellite. I used the line on the map to see roughly the direction it was going and used a reference point on the map (i.e a straight line to my neighbours chimney.)

I then used a cheap ebay signal meter to get a more accurate direction.

Then I went to my box and I had no signal. noooooooo.

Re-ended the cables. Nothing.

Re-ended the cables again. Nothing.

Youtube time.

[video=youtube;v2v7fLHZzzM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2v7fLHZzzM[/video]

Houston we have lift off. Finally on the third attempt I had signal. It was about 70% on bbc so I was pretty chuffed with myself that I some how managed to set this up on my own with no knowledge whatsoever.

Then I tried watching other channels at it was breaking up a glitching like mad.

Through further research I found there was many apps you can download (android) to fine tune your dish while up the ladder while showing the signal of your box on your phone. Who needs an expensive satellite tuner.

Highly recommend Dmsatfinder and Enigma Signal Meter(satfinder). Just make sure your adjustments are absolutely minuscule while fine tuning.

The above might not be your solution, but it might help in your trial and error quest to find your solution.

And if it wasn't for all these initial problems I wouldn't have been on this forum now. My enigma2 skinning journey would never have happened and I would have done what a large majority of people do. Set it up. Watch tv. end of.
Instead I spent all the time my box was working just reading all the posts on this forum and now I am extremely knowledgeable about these boxes....and now I pretty much live on this forum. Its a funny old world.

Thanks for that,
I have the re-ended the coax at the box following the steps in that video twice, last time perfectly bit still no joy, I've not been able to do anything with the ends at the dish because I have no ladder, I rely on the so-called expert to do that end of things.

---------- Post Merged at 08:51 AM ----------

Screenshot_2016-04-17-08-33-43.jpgScreenshot_2016-04-17-08-33-53.jpgScreenshot_2016-04-17-08-33-58.jpg

The last conversation I had with the guy that put up the dish.

Attachments

• DSC_0037.jpg
    DSC_0037.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 28
Leaves (full of water) make a massive difference. I think he may be talking out of his hat...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

you could buy a cheap sat finder from ebay and check it yourself at the cable before it enters your receiver. you will need to make up a small length of 'patch' cable though with two f connectors.

downside to that though, is you cant alter your dish from the front room and it might show good signal strength, but on the wrong satellite !!! that's why the suggestion to try signal strengths/channel searches with your tuners not fixed to astra 28.2 ( I think in tuner set up, it automatically scans for all signals) quite often when im in france, I pick up a brilliant signal strength on the meter, only to find its the wrong satellite !!

just to confirm you do have the cables in the correct configuration to the back of the zgemma?

Yes the cables are in the correct configuration I'm sure of that. I will buy a cheap meter off off ebay like you said and test the signal myself at the box end and later today I'll try scanning other satellites.
Thanks for all your help guys.

Last edited:
you could buy a cheap sat finder from ebay and check it yourself at the cable before it enters your receiver. you will need to make up a small length of 'patch' cable though with two f connectors.

downside to that though, is you cant alter your dish from the front room and it might show good signal strength, but on the wrong satellite !!! that's why the suggestion to try signal strengths/channel searches with your tuners not fixed to astra 28.2 ( I think in tuner set up, it automatically scans for all signals) quite often when im in france, I pick up a brilliant signal strength on the meter, only to find its the wrong satellite !!

just to confirm you do have the cables in the correct configuration to the back of the zgemma?
Quick update...
Configured tuner to -Satellite -"automatic" then did a scan.
Found nothing.
Then set it to Astra 19.2 still nothing then Astra 31.5 I think it was..anyway it still said nothing 0% signal.

Would a longer pole mount help reach over the top of the trees? I have a massive tree more or less right in front of my dish & have never had issues. The guy who put the dish up was concerned about the tree but when he checked the signal dish end & box end it was 98-99%. He did mention if there was a problem he would install a long pole mount to reach above the tree.

Back