Noobie Car Insurance

We accept he won't gain any NCD. Our rationale is that had he been the main driver it would have cost about £6500 during the last for years. We actually paid £2150. That's over £4K saved in my pocket. 4 years down the line when he gets insurance in his own name, it may not attract a NCD but it will defo attract new business discount and it won't be a £4K difference in price between him as a holder of a full licence for 4 years with no NCD and another with a 4 year NCD!

Not sure if I've explained that right!

Yeah I see where you are coming from, but it will basically be her car.

As long as it's legal i'm not bothered who owns what and who's policy it is.

Mine is 2 ltr I haven't looked it up yet but, but I bet to let her use mine as a second driver will be horendous.

Just going from 1.25 to a 1.4 is putting it up by about £500

So just playing about with all the variables on the quote to see what I can shave off.

Can you believe this, the price goes up if I say it's garaged overnight rather than left on the street near the house.

Unbelievable !!! :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Last edited:
That is mad, wonder who actually sits at a desk and thinks these numbers up :grin::grin:
Which ever quote you go with its still silly money. The kids are being punished for being so young, they have us over a barrel and they know it

Yeah I see where you are coming from, but it will basically be her car.

As long as it's legal i'm not bothered who owns what and who's policy it is.

Mine is 2 ltr I haven't looked it up yet but, but I bet to let her use mine as a second driver will be horendous.

Just going from 1.25 to a 1.4 is putting it up be about £500

So just playing about with all the variables on the quote to see what I can shave off.

Can you beleive this, the price goes up if I say it's garaged overnight rather than left on the street near the house.

Unbelivable !!! :grin::grin::grin::grin:
There are things you can put that might be unknown, like how many miles you do so if you can select 2000 miles a year and it's cheaper then strictly speaking your not lying and can't be caught out because anyone with fully comp can drive a car third party so they could be anyone's miles, don't worry about selecting social, domestic and pleasure and not including commuting to a single place of work because at least every time I've had insurance it includes travelling to a single place of work anyway when selecting sdap only where as declaring it beforehand can put it up, its mad but there's lots of tricks so just take your time.

If I put her on my car as an additional driver my insurance goes up roughly £1000, which I can understand with the bigger engine.

But get this, if I buy a run around under my name, put her as the second driver on a provisional licence it comes in at £930.

Once she passes the test and I put her as the main driver it goes up to £1000.

So I may as well get her a bit of a run around for her 17th Birthday and if I take her out it should save a few bob on driving lessons.

If she can't accrue any NCB under that method I will sign it all over to her when she passes the test, with me as an additional driver on her insurance
and it will be approx £1300 for the first year.

Year 1 NCB £950
Year 2 NCB £780

Still steep for the new drivers.

So after a day of number crunching it looks like we have a bit of a plan.

Thanks to everyone who has chipped in, it's much appreciated. :(y)::(y)::(y)::(y)::(y)::(y):

Last edited:
Still, at it.

So here is the conclusion.

Cheapest Option from what I can gather

Her Car, Her Insurance, Her Main Driver, Me Named Driver, Provisional Licience £615

Her Car, Her Insurance, Her Main Driver, Me Named Driver, Full Licience £1300

Year 1 NCB £950
Year 2 NCB £780

That way if there is any problems, my own NCB isn't effected.

So yep, not much has changed, you still have to bite the bullet when you start out,
even though fully comp is cheaper than third party,
and leaving it on the street is cheaper than storing it in a garage,
and having a provisional licence is cheaper than having a full one :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Still undecided about Telematics

So, it was option 2 all along !!!

Checked out leasing, a friends son is leasing and is paying roughly £150 a month for a polo plus £110 insurance.
they say they couldn't find a "block insurance" deal which includes both the car and insurance by us.

The lease deal I mentioned was advertised all over a citoren c1 sat in tesco car park so everyone could see it.
I thought it was cheap and perhaps when you go to the dealer they add this and that on and all of a sudden it's doubled the price

Still, at it.

So here is the conclusion.

Cheapest Option from what I can gather

Her Car, Her Insurance, Her Main Driver, Me Named Driver, Provisional Licience £615

Her Car, Her Insurance, Her Main Driver, Me Named Driver, Full Licience £1300

Year 1 NCB £950
Year 2 NCB £780

That way if there is any problems, my own NCB isn't effected.

So yep, not much has changed, you still have to bite the bullet when you start out,
even though fully comp is cheaper than third party,
and leaving it on the street is cheaper than storing it in a garage,
and having a provisional licence is cheaper than having a full one :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Still undecided about Telematics

So, it was option 2 all along !!!

Checked out leasing, a friends son is leasing and is paying roughly £150 a month for a polo plus £110 insurance.
they say they couldn't find a "block insurance" deal which includes both the car and insurance by us.
I think the crack with some of those all in one leases is in the small print you still have to have had your license for a minimum of a certain amount of time, after that leasing for a new driver probably isn't worth it because all though you can get really cheap deals for a brand new small car your not the legal owner which takes your insurance up again, I know this from the experience of taking a 4 year lease out for my missus and got hit with a larger insurance price than was expected, learnt the hard way.

The price you've got is really a lot better than I've heard any new drivers talk about for a long time, I think you've done well or you live in a really posh area;)

Well it's an old thread but my daughter now has a nice little fiesta waiting to go at the end of the month for driving practice
and will also be doing lessons.

Just thought I would update the insurance situation as it's a bloody nightmare.

There are a few companies who only insure drivers on a provisional licience. These worked out the cheapest option.

One I looked at done a twelve month policy for £590, however if you pass before the twelve months there is basically no refund.
Even if you pay monthly they still hold you to the full 12 month period.

It still worked out the cheapest option I could find for ages.

Until I stumbled across Collingwood.

Quoted £380, if she passes earlier than 12 months they refund the difference. You then have to find another insurance
under a full driving licence.

Just thought I would pass it on because there is such a range in quotes so somebody might find it useful

try direct line, they don't appear on the comparison websites.

they were cheapest for me last year, my insurer wouldn't even insure me own my new car :mad:

Back