Nvidia Shield 4k pro extracting optical audio

loncell

TK Veteran
I have a older Sony (STR-KG800) 5.1 amp and speakers cabled into the wall.
I've added a Yamaha subwoofer so its all pretty much all I need. I only use it for say movie night or music concerts on the tele.

I added the Nvidia Shield via hdmi into the amp then hdmi out to the TV but I have to lower the res to 1080 on the Shield for the amp to pick it up but I prefer it running at 4k.

The amp has optical audio in/out so I got thinking, considering I only really need the sound passing through ithe amp not picture can I use an hdmi audio extractor to split the audio to the amp and will have to connect/disconnect it say I just want to use the tv's speakers via the hdmi ?.
Another factor, will there be any delay lipsync issues splitting the audio signal?, and lastly if it is possible is there anything cheaper than this:
ESYNIC HDMI 2.0 Audio Extractor Support 4K/60Hz YUV 4:4:4 HDR HDMI to HDMI RCA R/L SPDIF Optical 3.5mm Headphone Jack Audio Converter Suitable for Blu-ray One X PS4 Pro Laptop Projector HDTV: Amazon.ca: Electronics
Would be grateful with any help please

No idea on all this new stuff as only moved from vcr a short while ago,what about using it on hdmi port on tv might that work?
I run an optical from tv to amp for my sound
Hdmi from zgemma to port on tv
Tv to Hdmi on amp.

For f##kin f##k f##kin sake !!!
Just pulled TV out i didn't f##kin know the TV had a friggin optical out socket!!

I couldn't see the slot with my p#ss poor eyesight.I give up me, honestly its getting harder the older I get to get through a day.

@cactikid thanks I wouldn't have got off my arse pulled the TV out with me torch if you hadn't of mentioned optical out from the TV.

Only question, so Nvidia Shield to TV via HDMI then optical out from TV to amp, what settings do I use in the Shield ? I only want the surround to work every now and then

As the optical on my amp is from tv source i only need to setup it on amp.
If you dont want sound dont power up amp and just use tv,if you want sound amp on and select your source.
Is tv 4K or 1080 as you would have to set it up on tv as remembering my chromecast hdmi now of many years ago.

Its a 4k TV but I think the amp ain't up to 4k so when I sent hdmi through it wouldn't pick up my Nvidia Shield as the res I have the Shield set to is too high for the amp.

When I lowered the res in the shield settings to 1080 I got a picture.
Thanks for the help it sounds ok now. I know there's better 'n' all that but its good enough for me and the odd movie.

Yes my amp is not 4K either but you need to source the optical for the sound and not Hdmi.

Shield in back of tv and use that for viewing and optical on amp for sound when needed.

I still can't believe I've had this tele a few years and I never knew it had an optical in and there's me nearly buying more gizmos, ffs anyway thanks for mentioning it

Back