OATV terminal - renew DHCP ?

chenks

TK Veteran
anyone know what the terminal command is on OpenATV 6.4 to force a local LAN DHCP refresh?
ifconfig shows the IP address it currently has, but i have since told the router to asssign it a specific IP, and the box won't release and pick up the new one.
i've even set the DHCP lease time to 30 seconds, and still the box won't release and pick up the new IP.

Im no expert but can you not disconnect box from internet and router, then reboot box/router then configure box/router and reconnect box with your new IP settings then it should release / renew IP address with your new one

odd, i cant find a term command to do it :(, have you tried configuring to static then back to DHCP to see if that works? Or what happens if you expire the lease on your router?

yeah all the usual linux commanes to release or renew ip don't seem to be present.
i even set the dhcp lease to just 30 seconds, and it still wouldn't get the correct IP, it's as if the box was refusing to renew.

If you don't mind me saying, you are probably making this hard work for yourself.
If you already know what you want the address to be, why not just use the network management utilities in Open-ATV to assign the desired IP address ie
Menu - Setup - System - Network - Device Setup
Turn off DHCP and set to Fixed, then assign the desired address, then re-start the network

again no, i'm not asking how to set a manually assigned IP address.
i'm expecting the box to respect the rules of the DHCP server and release the IP it has once the DHCP lease has expired - it isn't doing that.

I rather think that we are possibly talking at cross purposes here.
Firstly, there is no middle ground with this. An address is either served over DHCP or it isn't. Therefore it is either DHCP or it is Fixed.
Therefore, a mode needs to be set in the client device either DHCP or Fixed, and once set, Routing and Switching take over and do the bulk of the heavy-lifting.
Looking to the DCHP server, where address ranges need to be allocated for both DCHP and Fixed schemas, along with lease times etc, you will find that an address in a range reserved/allocated for fixed addresses cannot and will not be dynamically served/allocated by the DHCP server for obvious reasons.
You may however also find settings in some DHCP servers where client device MAC addresses can be 'slaved' or otherwise associated to an IP address or a range of addresses within the allocated DHCP range (some servers allow for this, some do not), similarly some DHCP servers can also be set use UpNp for the same or similar purposes. (not all servers offer that type of functionality but some do).
It seems likely to me that your efforts will be more profitably spent looking at your DHCP server and it's settings than they will be if looking to your Open-ATV client.

again no, i'm not asking how to set a manually assigned IP address.
i'm expecting the box to respect the rules of the DHCP server and release the IP it has once the DHCP lease has expired - it isn't doing that.
is your mac address present?

Back