Satellite Occasional H7S freezing - how can I analyse?

Hi,
PC is not interfering - just letting folk know as there were referenced to openwebif in the logs.

I'm using:

Wifi dongle attached in USB at back and working fine for network
I also have the cacheflush plugin set as follows: drop type: pagecache, entries and inodes; clean dirty cache too: yes ; uncached mem size: 20480Kb
I also have movieorganiser set to run every 30 mins. Remove Text "New" = Yes; Run while in standby = Yes.

Versions info:
OpenATV 6.3.0 (2019-12-30)
ABM 2.2+git144
Cacheflush 2.0+git21
Movieorganiser 2.14
Skin: kiddac Slyk Onyx 1080 enigma2-plugin-skins-slyk-onyx-1080_2.25_20191117_all + enigma2-plugin-extensions-openatv-epgselection-mod_3.0_all.ipk Post Nov 2019 + enigma2-plugin-extensions-openatv-movieplanner-mod_2.0_all.ipk

What I mean is, there's just too much going on. Openwebif is a plugin in the box.
You've got it refreshing every 5 seconds while logging to the pc at the same time as recording and trying to perform several other functions.
It's hardly surprising you're getting errors and crashes.
Keep things simple, if you set so many variables it only takes one error for the whole thing to fall apart

Sure.

I was not using openwebif at all when the crash occurred though. I was only using it after the event and after the hard reboot to gather the logs and screenshots. At the time of the freeze I was only watching a recording and one other recording was going on in the background (which restarted itself after the hard reset).

sorry for any confusion.

Paul

@smipx - did you get to the bottom of this?
I have a very similar issue on my Zgemma H7S running OpenATV 6.3.

Randomly while watching something in timeshift, the video will freeze and 10 seconds later the audio freezes. I have to power cycle my Zgemma H7S for it to recover.

Also, some times when I go to watch TV, the box has just hung over night. The time on the LCD seems to freeze at the time it happened but I'm not seeing a pattern on when it freezing (i.e. it's a different time every time it happens).

I've had a Gigablue Quad+ for 5 years and never experienced these issues.

Interesting!! I have just sent my box back to the supplier for replacement as it was getting ridiculous. I had issue with OpenVIX and ApenATV too. I think its overheating personally or a faulty CPU/GPU batch perhaps but I am guessing its going to be nearly impossible to pin down or prove. I hope my supplier will liaise with Zgemma on this as it might be a bad batch.

Thanks for the reply @smipx - much appreciated.
I got my box from World of Satellite.

My box hung again this morning at 4.05AM (that was the time on the LCD when I checked it this morning)

What makes you think over-heating (really interesting theory and one I hadn't thought of)?

I purchased my Zgemma just over 2 weeks ago. In actual fact, I have 2 Zgemma H7S receivers in 2 separate rooms and it's happening to both of them, both are only 2 weeks old.

I was going to try OpenATV 6.2 (currently running 6.3)

I had 2 x Gigable Quad+ receivers prior to this running OpenATV 6.2 and never had an issue

Enable debug logs to see if you can identify what is causing the freeze.
You don't need a swap file or cacheflush on a H7 if you have these enabled.
I'm running a H7 on OpenViX and never had an issue.

My Advice is to get in touch with World of Satellite as that is where mine came from and it is on its way back to them for testing under warranty.
There may be a pattern here.

@smipx - I will contact WoS and let them know I'm having trouble and ask if there are any known issues with a "bad batch" of H7 receivers.

I have only tried OpenATV 6.3. I'm going to try some other images also.

What makes you think your box is over-heating?

Only the fact that there are no logs created. No crash logs, no indication of debug logs data. Just a freeze and then no Ping, no telnet to box when it happens. In the PC world this is often the GPU overheating and the system just hard freezing. Just my best guess but I am no expert.

I have tried OpenATV 6.3 and OpenViX (build from mid-December (it came with the latest openVIX from World of Satellite) several times. Clean installs, clean setups
Disabled all bells and whistles.
Lots of testing. The problem is that when it freezes it does not generate any debug or twisted logs from that point and no indication of a cause immediately prior. At that point Telnet and ping is impossible to the box too - it totally freezes). A hard reset sorts it (until the next time) but the logs are empty of any indications and there are no crash logs.........

Also tried shutting down enigma2 and running disk checks - all good
Also tried disabling Bouquets and also tried EPG on a memory stick and recordings on the internal HDD

Nothing I did would make it stable so I have sent it back to WoS for a replacement/testing. Problem is that if 2x 2 week old boxes are doing the same/similar from divi_a_bit then I worry that any replacement box may be from the same "possible bad batch" and I am getting a bit nervous of a good outcome :-(

Very mysterious.

Sorry, I'm at work now but check cacheflush is not enabled.
The box won't generate a crash log on a freeze, only a crash. You need to enable debug logs to see what it was actually doing before the freeze.

Hi, Yes I did have cacheflush originally but quickly removed that on advise. I didn't help sadly.
The box is not with me now - its gone back to the supplier so I can't do much now until I get it back.
divil_a_bit still has his 2 boxes though (in a similar sorry state) so maybe he can work with you and the other Guru's to see if progress can be made.

My feeling is that it maybe a bad batch of boxes (hardware fault) or possibly a driver issue but I am no expert at all. I did check the logs for data prior to the crash but there was nothing there that gave any clues. I did think it could be skin related (using KiddaC Slyk Onyx but the issue is that when it does freeze there is nothing in the logs, no crash log and until it is hard reset the FTP and telnet are unresponsive so I can even get in via the backdoor to do any debugging. I did try other skins and it did not help. I even tried to use serviceapp to change the default player to ext3stream and it still did it.

I did several fresh flashes of OpenVIX and OpenATV and tried to run them in both Mode 1 and Mode 11 and noting I did made any difference. Still random freezes, could be after a few hours or could go for several days. Could be while watching Live TV or could be when watching a recording - no pattern or rhyme nor reason.

that's why ive sent it back to the supplier to see if they can get to the bottom of it :-)

I really hope they can get to the bottom of it...... I love the box when its not crashing.

Cheers,
Paul

Still random freezes, could be after a few hours or could go for several days. Could be while watching Live TV or could be when watching a recording - no pattern or rhyme nor reason.
I'm seeing all of this @smipx and I'm also seeing random freezing even when not using the receiver.
Some mornings I have a look at the box and it hung sometime during the night. For example, this morning the clock on the LCD was stuck at 4:05am and the box had hung. Couldn't ssh/ping the box.

The one thing I did not try is to use the originally shipped image as I got the supplier to install the latest OpenVIX upon purchase. No idea what it comes out of the factory with but I guess that would be a good image to try to see if it is stable and working. You would hope so if that is what zGemma ship it with . No idea what it is though :-(

so maybe openATV 6.2. would be worth a shot then (older drivers maybe more "compatible" with the box - who knows :-)
Over to you divil_a_bit if you fancy the experiment :-)

Back