Octagon SF8008 will not reboot

Hi I have just got a 8008 and have setup with Willobuild, added a 500gb USB SSD (formatted to ext4). The drive is plugged into the rear USB port, when I reboot from the main GUI the box shutdown but never gets to the boot stage and just hangs. If I plug the same drive in the side USB port it's fine and completes the reboot. The hard drive has just been taken from my laptop so it's a known working drive

I have checked the mount manager and can see it's mounted as /dev/sdb1 with the mount point /media/HDD and shows as ext4 R/W. The drive is correctly mounted from both USB ports so assume it's not a faulty port.

I have also reflashed the box a couple of times and tried just a base VIX image with the same outcome

Only had the box about 1 month so returning is an option if required. Thanks for any advice

Regards

Ron

It could just be the rear usb port is not supplying enough power to power it up properly and is causing issues for the PSU.

If it is at all possible, use an externally powered hdd. I suspect the issue would go away.

Quick update, purchased a powered usb hard drive enclosure and plugged it in to the rear USB port and the box still will not reboot. Same as previous put it in the side USB and all is good, the only difference I can see is the side is USB 3 and the rear is USB 2, any other thoughts before I speak with the retailer ?

Thanks again

Ron

Have you tried plugging in a usb stick just confirm there is not a problem with the usb on the box
The hard drive is recognised by the USB port and the drive is mounted correctly, just won't reboot. So assume the port is working as expected.

I have spoken to the vendor this morning, they initially advised it could be a caddy or usb lead issue but I don't think that's the case as it all works from the side USB port.

The vendor is now away for two weeks they have said I can return it (postage paid by myself) they will then look at it and check for any issues. If no faults are found there will be another £10 handling fee for return. Obviously I would rather not return it and sort the issue.

Just to clarify, box boots fine, issue is specific to reboot? If so, have you tried enabling debug logs. Use internal flash as location, say no to restart and put into deep standby. Then start up. Maybe it will say something.

Willobuild is still Vix but with Willow's customisations. Maybe try OpenPLi and see if you get the same issue? If that is Okay, then try ATV.

Going by posts about other receivers It seems the USB 3 bus is slower in the setting up stage and this may be the cause. Pure speculation on my part.

The USB 3 port on mine has no issues when rebooting but mine is via a powered USB hub but you have tried that. Ive never tried it without the usb hub.

The only difference between your setup and mine is im using openATV.

Just to clarify, box boots fine, issue is specific to reboot? If so, have you tried enabling debug logs. Use internal flash as location, say no to restart and put into deep standby. Then start up. Maybe it will say something.

Willobuild is still Vix but with Willow's customisations. Maybe try OpenPLi and see if you get the same issue? If that is Okay, then try ATV.

Going by posts about other receivers It seems the USB 3 bus is slower in the setting up stage and this may be the cause. Pure speculation on my part.
Thanks for the extensive reply, yes the box boots fine so no issues. Gives me a few options. I am at work until 6 so will try tonight and update with the outcome

The USB 3 port on mine has no issues when rebooting but mine is via a powered USB hub but you have tried that. Ive never tried it without the usb hub.

The only difference between your setup and mine is im using openATV.
Thanks I will give that a whirl as well, be interesting to see if the issue exists on an alternative build

Ok so have tried OpenPLI and ATV both have the same outcome, will not reboot from the rear USB port when the hard drive is plugged in. Will try the debug logs as soon as I can. The rear port is USB2 I believe don't know if that has an impact.
I have also tried a WD Black SATA drive in a USB enclosure in case it was the SSD but no joy with that either from the rear port.

Ok do this try another power supply that might be bad..
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I don't have another power supply with the same output/polarity. I don't really want to start buying additional supplies. If I can't resolve by the 21st June I am going to return the box to the vendor for testing.

Back