Old Telewest feed - testing for life

tm1

I had a Telewest feed over 10 years ago (probably longer) and the brown box is still outside. The living room termination box is no longer in situ. I looked in the brown box and the incoming coax is connected to the old white coax that feeds to the inside of the house (but has been wallpapered over when it was cut flush with the wall).

I haven't got any hardware yet but was considering getting a ZG H5 with a cable feed or the Xtrend ET8500 (but I've not seen too many reports on this for quality, ease of setup/use and longevity/quality).

Obviously, to use the cable functionality, I need a cable feed but I don't have any suitable tuners to test the feed. Is there any way I can test if the feed is still live without a digital tuner (maybe with a test meter or something)?

I currently have a sly HD setup but need to change to a more price friendly alternative with the option to record and watch a second channel. I don't need to watch any sport packages but would welcome Sly cinema and their docs/general entertainment stations but I understand these are becoming thinner on the ground via a sat c/share.

Any advice would be most welcome (especially the advice which may lead to my feed still being live).

I have recently changed broadband provider so am in contract and can't change to VM broadband to enable a newly connected feed.

If anybody has any suggestions for other boxes up to about £150 (with IPTV capabilities as I may have to resort to IPTV) I'd appreciate that advice also.

Is there any way I can see if the old cable feed is still live without having any cable boxes to connect (ideally I need to know if the line is working or not so I can decide what tuners to have in any box I decide to buy - currently considering Mutant HD51)?

Is there any way I can see if the old cable feed is still live without having any cable boxes to connect (ideally I need to know if the line is working or not so I can decide what tuners to have in any box I decide to buy - currently considering Mutant HD51)?

The only way to be 100% is to connect some equipment to it. Even if it is currently live, it could be disconnected at any time - the only sure way to make sure it stays live is to take a subscription with them like their lowest tier internet etc.

The old telewest feed will be inactive, had a similar situation with a friend
Thought that would likely be the case. I suppose I can order a twin sat box and swap out a tuner for a cable one at a later date (I'll have to chat with some old workmates whom I know have cable - they can maybe bring their box around to try it).

Cheers CastleB

Back