Windows 7 pc keeps freezing

Morning all having problems with laptop freezing mainly on msn and bebo,so i thought id try Mozilla fire fox,seems to be OK but when i run Ccleaner the system locks up,iv run scans with avira,malwarebytes,spywaredoctor and superantispyware and they all come up clean.
Anyone got any ideas whats going on here.:bang head:

Thanks paddy

What are the specs for your PC paddy?

You can use this neat utility that will dig out some useful info about your PC:

Direct Link:
Code:
http://www.alexnolan.net/software/SysSpec.exe
The file is clean, you can check the website itself if you want to find out what this little program is all about.

The main details we're looking for here is:

Windows
RAM
CPU Info
CPU Speed
Display Adapters
Hard Disks (Free)

Windows: Microsoft Windows VISTA 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18865
Memory (RAM): 2046 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz
CPU Speed: 859.9 MHz
Sound card: Speakers / Headphones (SigmaTel
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 800 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card | Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
CD / DVD Drives: E: TSSTcorpDVD+-RW TS-L632H
COM Ports: NOT Present
LPT Ports: NOT Present
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 220.2GB | D: 10.0GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 157.8GB | D: 5.7GB
USB Controllers: 7 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Make: Inspiron 1520
AC Power Status: OffLine
BIOS Info:
Time Zone: GMT Standard Time
Battery: High
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0KY768
Modem: Not detected
:

Its a decent system, the only thing i would wonder about is whether a RAM upgrade is necessary, you have alot of free space left, the display adapter is superb, but i notice that the CPU Speed is 859.9 MHz for the second info.. I'll try and grab another small proggy to see what it has to say about processor speed.

Update: Can you test it against this program:

Code:
http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_153.zip

As soon as it opens, you will notice the processor speed under Clocks (Core #0) - Core speed.

here.png

Last edited:
What are the specs for your PC paddy?

You can use this neat utility that will dig out some useful info about your PC:

Direct Link:
Code:
http://www.alexnolan.net/software/SysSpec.exe
The file is clean, you can check the website itself if you want to find out what this little program is all about.

The main details we're looking for here is:

Windows
RAM
CPU Info
CPU Speed
Display Adapters
Hard Disks (Free)

(y) for the post dan could be stickied in the Useful Free Applications section for future reference for members who are encountering pc problems...:)

Its a decent system, the only thing i would wonder about is whether a RAM upgrade is necessary, you have alot of free space left, the display adapter is superb, but i notice that the CPU Speed is 859.9 MHz for the second info.. I'll try and grab another small proggy to see what it has to say about processor speed.

Update: Can you test it against this program:

Code:
http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_153.zip

As soon as it opens, you will notice the processor speed under Clocks (Core #0) - Core speed.

here.png
[/QUOTE

ye it says 798.1mh

The 798.1 MHz & 859 MHz might be referring to a specific part of your system regarding the processing power, its infact a 2.00GHz processor. When do you encounter slow downs, when doing anything in particular or at start-up?

Just for furthur info, that might be referring to the FSB (Front Serial Bus) processing speed of data transfer for removable storage devices.

Last edited:
The 798.1 MHz & 859 MHz might be referring to a specific part of your system regarding the processing power, its infact a 2.00GHz processor. When do you encounter slow downs, when doing anything in particular or at start-up?

Just for furthur info, that might be referring to the FSB (Front Serial Bus) processing speed of data transfer for removable storage devices.

it seems to be when the young lads on bebo@msn,it only started in the last 2 weeks or so,ccleaner was working fine untill i swiched to firefox...when i open and run ccleaner it looks like its cleaning internet explorer,maybe ill try doing a clean install of ccleaner through Firefox to see if that works(y)

I know that MSN can be really demanding at times, i'll post a link to a software suite that i use and will link it to you once thats done, its got a one click maintenance that can defrag your hard drive, fix registry issues and remove temporary files, hopefully it will do the PC some good.

You can try using this program for now:

http://www.techkings.org/other/8827-tune-up-utilities-2008-a.html#post105659

You can either use the Tune up 1 click maintenance option or browse around the individual features once opening up the program.

I'm sure other members will also come to the rescue incase this doesnt do the trick.. (y)

Last edited:
im familiar with the 1520 and 1721, there both good comps and 2 gig of ram is more than enough to be running vista with msn. if your computer is running for a while now it may be time to do a clean installation again with the discs that came with the computer.

if you press start and type msconfig and press enter and then select startup from the box that appears you can switch off a lot of unwanted programs that are running in the background. you can post here if you are unsure of what to switch off or google for a quick answer.

also as already suggested defrag and clean up, download auslogics disk defrag which is free and is great that you can watch it as it works unlike windows built in version and also auslogics boost speed which can be found on the web for free if you can ;) ! also firefox is a memory hog so switch back to IE until you have other problems sorted

Just to add to axxxo's post, the Tune Up Utilities link in my previous post has a start up manager if you prefer to be shown start-up items in a modernised graphical manner.

Symptoms have all the hallmarks of a driver conflict?

Maybe if you disable items (on startup) one by one you might be able to identify the culprit.

IE8 is also not helping your situation, it's taught with problems.

-

reinstall paddy or check your drivers as gman suggested, click start and type device manager.

When its on bebo and MSN, what percentage is the processing power at the time, and how much RAM does it consume? You can check this through taskmanager when you have bebo and MSN running, hopefully, you'll be able to open taskman unless the slow-down is really horrible.

Back