Windows Vista pc wont boot from rescue disc

have you tried F6 or F8 paddy on boot to try get into safe mode as sometimes it does not tell you which key to press on statup. do this without the rescue cd in the drive. keep tapping the button when you power on the computer, you can then run your antivirus and antimalware and so on.

Personally, I'd use that cd to remove all passwords and then, as you were saying your getting the false virus warnings and malware has been installed in the form of fake antivirus sotware etc. Thats a job for combofix. Will sort it all in one go. Only did a pc similarly infected a couple days ago.

combofix is powerful but allow it to delete one wrong file and your left with having to do a full reinstallation. let us know what you do anyway paddy.

Agreed there axxxo but lately it seems to be working a lot better than about a year ago where it was quite dangerous unless you knew specifically what you are doing but they seem to have improved it somewhat. Once any resident shield is disabled before running it should be sound unless it's being run on a dodgy copy of windows where it will unpatch it and you'll get the genuine nag. Particularly for this type of infection. It seems to be the same one many have gotten in the last few weeks from what I've seen.

Anybody notice the inconsistency from the OP to one of the later ones?
The recovery disk is Linux, but the current OS is Windows.:)

If this is a netbook with an SSD I've seen a few issues with these in that it's the SSD drive that's actually locked with a password (The BIOS and Hardware are linked).
Easy way to tell is to remove the SSD and see if you can access the BIOS (if you know the password for that itself)

Thanks to all iv got it sorted by way of hadmads xp:take bow: disc,every thing seems to be workin fine now.:happy::happy::happy:

THANKS PADDY.

think i have the same prob just got my lappy fixed bout 2 weeks ago,he put a xp instalation dick in a dodgy one to ,i think it ended up getting a virus and the it crashed,so i tryed putting the vista recovery disk in when it gets to 43persent it just says error in big red letters.anyone have a fix for me please

You would be better putting in an XP disc rather than a vista recovery disc if there is xp on there.

how long is it since it was formatted
what is you computer doing anfieldroad

Last edited:
Vista recovery options are different from the XP options, the recovery console isn't even the same.
As Mooley says, you need the XP install disk.

Boot into recovery console using the XP install disk, and at the command line there are a number of command you can try before formatting and going for a fresh install.

#1 is chkdsk /r (finds and fixes file errors)
reboot and see if windows loads, if not.
#2 is fixmbr (fixes the master boot record)
#3 is fixboot (fixes the boot sector)
still no joy?
#4-7 are:
bootcfg /scan (scans for current installs)
bootcfg /list (lists current installs)
bootcfg /rebuild (rebuilds the installs on the boot sector)
bootcfg /add (adds an install to the boot sector)

Last edited:
Are You prepared to lose all the info on that computer Anfield?, I think Had means that maybe it is time to re-install a fresh copy of windows xp, because after many viruses, it can get extermely messed up, due to registry erroors and viruses running amok through all your files
Shoot me if i am, wrong Had!
Instead of getting an xp recovery disk, you should get a windows xp Bootable disk

i think he would be better off putting a fresh copy of xp on if he thinks the copy of xp that was put on before was bad your grand knot

Back