Peugeot 308 not starting

grahamer67

TK Veteran
The Mrs has a Peugeot 308, which is now not starting, I thought it was the battery, so tried to jump start, you can connect the plus terminal ok, but the negative is harder to get to so connected the plus and connected the neg to a metal part on the engine, but still wouldnt start, She ended up getting a new battery so I put it in, following the correct procedure, still the car wont start, just hoping someone has encountered the same problem with this make of car or a more mechanical mind may have some sort of idea of what the problem is, our regular mechanic cant get a look at it until late into next week, so just hoping someone has had a similar problem.

I'm no mechanic but does the dash power up and can hear the starter try to turn or a clicking sound?

It was trying to start originally but it is now the clicking sound, dash powers up, and brand new battery in.

the clicking sound is usally the starter motor trying to turn,try giving it a few whacks with something,would have to do that on the dumpers on the building site to get them start,failing that try bump starting it.

Not the starter, plenty of fuel in it, these Peugeot engines are not great, its a 1.4 petrol, I have already done the basics, but I am no mechanic and there are any number of things it can be, just thought on the off chance that someone may have had a similar problem.

When the starter tried to turn did it really kick in or really slow lethargic? With a new battery, it should be really lively. If not maybe a bad earth.

Checked it over the best as I can see, couldnt spot anything obvious regarding the wiring, ah well time to lock it up and let the mechanic take it in next week, I have told her months ago to get rid of it, never liked the french makes myself, she used to have a ford focus, never had much trouble with it, she was then supposed to upgrade to their newer model a few years back, instead she came back with the 308, couldnt believe it, she changed her mind in the garage and let the salesman persuade her to buy the french heap of junk, plus he only gave her a grand trade in on the old focus, it was worth closer to two , or 1.5 at least.

Already tried all the basics mate, gonna spend a few hours at it again on Sunday, If I start hitting it with a hammer, I probably wont be able to stop, heh.heh.

Does engine swing over with good strong jump leads and fast or not= bad connection.
If it swings over fast does it sound normal or not.
Error codes like crank sensor should show with eng light on when running engine so might need codes read?
When turning ignition on listen to a whir of fuel pump .
Hopefully timing belt has not gone as 5 years is meaning dirty trousers.

Cleaned out the earth to the battery and the starter motor, getting at the motor was difficult, had to take out battery then battery casing, then a few other nuts and bolts to get at it, nothing worked though, mechanics coming to lift it tomorrow morning and hopefully get a look at it before the end of the week.

Back