Peugeot 308 not starting

Sounds like solenoid on starter motor might be faffed.
Or the ring gear inside aint engaging onto the flywheel
I was talking to an old work mate earlier and his mrs used to have a 308, and had a similar problem, says it was something to do with the compression, but its going into the garage tomorrow , she is planning on getting something new after christmas, so I have advised her to use it as a trade in and try and get as much as she can of her new car.

Still hasnt been picked up yet, was supposed to collect it yesterday at the latest, she now has one of our sons car until however long she needs it, he is using his work van for now, hopefully mechanic gets it today or tomorrow, even at that, god knows when he will get looking at it, on top of that there is new covid restrictions coming in over here next week, dont know what effect that will have.

Bloody hell good job she has access to another car then thank god.
But yeah our garage has still got a backlog of pre mot work and other servicing jobs to get through and thats on top of trying to keep up with demands for Mot's since the covid extension finished

Still sitting in our driveway mate, couldnt get a hold of him until yesterday, he said he was snowed under, he has a few men off sick, one of my sons is going to ask his mechanic if he can book it in, so hopefully get somewhere with it this week.

put the car in gear and rock it with the hand break off and see if the auxillary belt moves too see if the engine has seized up or not, signs of a clicking starter is either, seized engine, bad battery, bad starter or bad earth, if aux belt moves disconnect earth terminal from battery and put a jump lead from the earth on the battery too the engine and try and start engine then and see what happens. if the engine starts you have a bad earth

Update on this problem, turns out the timing has jumped, mechanic reckons that anyway, all the farting about with new battery and jump starting , hill starting was just a waste of time, but hopefully this thread helps some people in the future, if having similar problems with these make of cars, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice.

Oh dear @grahamer67 not the news we like to hear and so close to christmas aswell ffs was so hoping it was something minor like an earth lead or starter solenoid etc.
I wonder if the chain tensioner or guide rails have failed same as daughters did on audi a3 ??

Yeah best case scenario is that its just slipped of the chain a bit, but it will still be a big job and an expensive one, something always seems to go wrong with it around this time of the year, cost her £420 last January, the compression in the engine was too low, along with a few various other problems, about 6 months before that she had another high garage bill at around £300, probably too much wrong with it now and better to scrap it and get a new car.

Back