Ping - IPTV

dt99

TK Veteran
Hi, in-laws are having a nightmare with IPTV. They have foolishly paid for 12 month sub so are stuck for the meantime.

Cut a long story short they are getting frequent buffering etc, their supplier is saying their ping is too high, ran a test and it's generally around 25-40 at various times of the day. Test was done on a hardwired box.

Is this just another supplier excuse or is this ping too high.....im trying to convince them to cut their losses and switch provider.

In comparison mine is generally around the same sort of figures and 95% of the time I have no issues.

My system is basically 3 TV's all hard wired. I upgraded to the fastest Sly fibre available in my area, so I am getting around 70mb download. When I went onto this service about 6 months ago the ping was around 15-20 and stayed around those margins for about 2-3 months. More recently it has risen to similar figure to yours, 25-45. I got onto Sly as I had it at the back of my mind that this would effect my iptv. They told me after running their tests that I was getting a full 70mb as advertised, when I raised the question of ping they just said it should not affect anything, mentioned kids gaming and streaming utube (carefull what I said) they told me it was not an issue.
To be honest my IPTV is excellent 95% of the time very little buffering, occasionally if its a high demand event such as a Derby Match I will use one of the lesser known streams such as Bein or OST but thats all. I have 2 suppliers and both very similar in performance. (No recommendations given as a refusal often offends).

Thanks for the info. Sounds like they are being sold a load of rubbish by their supplier then. They have been told their ping needs to be single figures....thought it sounded a bit fishy.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like they are being sold a load of rubbish by their supplier then. They have been told their ping needs to be single figures....thought it sounded a bit fishy.
That ping is acceptable, I'm on 8 meg with a ping of 36 IPTV HD has no issues, I call bullshite

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

The ping shouldn't affect anything I've a quite high ping and I'm on standard bb and don't hardly have issues at 5mbps isn't the ping how far away you from the exchange or something along them lines

That ping is acceptable, I'm on 8 meg with a ping of 36 IPTV HD has no issues, I call bullshite

Thanks. I was pretty confident that their response was utter crap, I just wanted to clarify what I thought was true. The ping on my own internet is around the same as my in-laws and I don't have a lot of problems. I will speak to them later, they need to get back onto their provider and call them out on it or cut their losses and run. I did tell them not to sign up for 12 months, but they know best!!

The ping shouldn't affect anything I've a quite high ping and I'm on standard bb and don't hardly have issues at 5mbps isn't the ping how far away you from the exchange or something along them lines
Basically yes, it's latency, how long it takes to connect with a designated server, ping is the main reason satellite internet is no good for IPTV or online gaming, signal has a round trip of 46000 miles (geostationary orbit)

Have you turned the settings off at the ISP end? So when you login to the ISP account and you have the likes of websafe on VM.
Obviously other ISP's have there own that need to be turned off.

Have you turned the settings off at the ISP end? So when you login to the ISP account and you have the likes of websafe on VM.
Obviously other ISP's have there own that need to be turned off.

Yes, done all that. It's just their supplier is rubbish. They started off fine, then EPL got blocked and they were told to get a VPN and now they are getting nothing but problems.

They are going to contact their supplier and ask for a refund of the months they have not used.....can't see that working, but you never know.

Remember this post ??

***I know it's selfish, but any requests for details of my provider will be ignored......sorry, but as far as I'm concerned the less people who know about it, the less chance of problems***

Maybe if you passed on some information to your in laws they wouldn't be in this mess :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Remember this post ??

***I know it's selfish, but any requests for details of my provider will be ignored......sorry, but as far as I'm concerned the less people who know about it, the less chance of problems***

Maybe if you passed on some information to your in laws they wouldn't be in this mess :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I did tell them, this is who I use, this is how you sign up.......trouble is, they listened to some guy he works with, who told them to use someone else as they had used them for years, usual crap, they then went with that one as they were cheaper and signed up for 12 months straight away. Serves them right. The older generation, they always think they are right :grin:

It's bad enough trying to get my dad to point the right remote at the telly these days,
never mind trying to get his head around how all this stuff works,
my lot just CBA, they just pick up the phone, blame me when it all goes wrong, then get me to come round and fix it
it's usually something they have messed up but they have none of it :grin::grin::grin:

Sounds familiar. To be honest they surprised me in setting up their own IPTV, but it then turned out that this guy he knows added it all onto the box for them. They struggle with IPlayer to be truthful, this is the problem though, they hear one thing and just run with it. I have lost count of how much tech equipment that they have bought just to not know exactly what it is or what it does. He bought an IPad for crying out loud, but that's for another thread, the whole IOS vs Android saga!!

The older generation always think they know best my in laws are same and so are my parents up until it all goes tits up then we have to be on hand to sort the mess out but that's families for you I suppose lol

Back