Problems with e74 rrod fix on xbox arcade models

Portbhoy

Ok guys heres the problem, I've been fixing Xbox's for quite some time now but recently I've come across a few arcade models that just wont hold the fix for longer than a few hours. Tried most variations on the fix including screwing the board and case together to keep the board straight putting rubber under the chips etc, etc. Anyone with any ideas on this I would appreciate the info to try myself. Big difference that I can see is that the bolts ***** straight into the heatsink now as opposed to screwing into the x-shaped outriggers which I think may have allowed more movement in the boad!!!

Ok guys heres the problem, I've been fixing Xbox's for quite some time now but recently I've come across a few arcade models that just wont hold the fix for longer than a few hours. Tried most variations on the fix including screwing the board and case together to keep the board straight putting rubber under the chips etc, etc. Anyone with any ideas on this I would appreciate the info to try myself. Big difference that I can see is that the bolts ***** straight into the heatsink now as opposed to screwing into the x-shaped outriggers which I think may have allowed more movement in the boad!!!

well first off which way did you do it? did you drill holes? did you use washers? if so how many? what kind? did you try adjusting the screws? did you try re-applying thermal paste? did you overheat it at the end?

Sorry. I've tried:

Spring washer,board, nylon, flat metal
metal flat through case 2 metal 1 nylon then board then nylon and metal
Metal flat, nylon, board, nylon then metal
All combinations with rubber supporting the 2 chips on underside

Tried adjusting the screws, I overheat as a rule anyway so any ideas :willy nilly:

Sorry. I've tried:

Spring washer,board, nylon, flat metal
metal flat through case 2 metal 1 nylon then board then nylon and metal
Metal flat, nylon, board, nylon then metal
All combinations with rubber supporting the 2 chips on underside

Tried adjusting the screws, I overheat as a rule anyway so any ideas :willy nilly:

did you re-apply thermal?

Yep always clean off and apply the thermal again ;) Like I said I've did a few so I kinda know whats what have seen read and watched all the fixes but everytime they show you a fix on youtube it's on the old style heatsink

x360Heatsink.jpg

But new ones come like:

large_20071003-xbox360heatsink.jpg

Is this the difference??? Like I said looking for specific info on arcade ones as it's the only one thats beat me lol

Last edited:
Yep always clean off and apply the thermal again ;) Like I said I've did a few so I kinda know whats what have seen read and watched all the fixes but everytime they show you a fix on youtube it's on the old style heatsink

x360Heatsink.jpg

But new ones come like:

large_20071003-xbox360heatsink.jpg

Is this the difference??? Like I said looking for specific info on arcade ones as it's the only one thats beat me lol

well it should be the same, i mean that secondary heatsink is just there to direct the heat completely away from the chip. it might be un-repairable without a reflow. you could also try to lap the cpu and heatsink, and do the same for the gpu.

Ahhhhh better reach for the wet and dry then, let you know how it goes thanks Homey. If you come up with any other info please post here. My original point was about the outriggers on the heatsink allowing movement whereas the new style screws straight in to the heatsink allowing no movement and fixing it rigidly to the board but I will try the lap method just now ;)

Ahhhhh better reach for the wet and dry then, let you know how it goes thanks Homey. If you come up with any other info please post here. My original point was about the outriggers on the heatsink allowing movement whereas the new style screws straight in to the heatsink allowing no movement and fixing it rigidly to the board but I will try the lap method just now ;)

sorry i havn't had to do a fix on one of those yet. but i would think the stability would be what you are looking for. what is it doing? does it freeze while playing? or does it juts not start up sometimes?

It will play happily for hours after fix turn it off and on and you get the E74 message again same symptoms no matter what version of the fix is applied???

Nope still get the dreaded flashing red light lol

what it sounds like to me is that you are heating up the box and getting that solder to re-connect, because it is getting so hot and melting. so all is good. then you start to play for a couple of hours, this is where i think you are running into your problem. i think the console is getting so hot that it is re-melting the solder, but doing the opposite of good. so then you shut off the system and the solder hardens with broken leads. so when you turn it back on you have rrod again. i would try the fix again, but this time let it cool for a couple of hours before turning it on, then from there on out make sure that thing is icy cool. put a new fan in it or something. this is what i did to one once. the pictures are crap, but you will get my point..

DSC00464.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

this console got so hot, this is what the metal shroud looked like inside. notice the burn marks?

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

Last edited:
Bejesus thats a bit extreme where did I put that big fan lol

lol whatever gets the job done. :) that is actually a very small fan the pic just makes it look big, it is one of those office fans you can sit on your desk.

Back