Problems with RS232 to RJ45 adaper Error 202

manuman

Problems with RS232 to RJ45 adapter Error 202

I have bought a replacement RS232 (9 pin) to RJ45 adapter for the SV 7. When I boot the SV up I get an error message E202 and the box will not connect.
Can anybody help me on this please.
Thanks

Last edited:
hi ive just orderd a replacement one aswell its not here i hope i dong get the same trouble as my box didnt come with it did u get it off ebay is there someone on here give us an item number for the correct item plz

Hi dazza, the one I bought was from ebuyer and was already wired. It is wired as a crossover pin 1 to pin 8 etc. I am assuming that they need to be wired 'straight through' pin 1 to pin 1 etc.
I would be good to know what the wiring configuration should be if anybody has that info.

Dazza, there are some on ebay that have loose connections on the rs232 end. You choose how to wire them.
I have ordered one and I am going to try different configurations, if I get it to work I will post the right wiring.

When you get one see this Yost serial device wiring: RS232 on RJ45

RS232 - DB9.

wire.png

Thanks for the info HiTeck, I have now got the adapter.
How do you connect the green (5) to the red (4), is it just a case of stripping the wire back and twisting them together?
Also what is the loop between 4 and 6?
Many Thanks

let me know how you get on with this adapter please th i would say strip and twist on the wires also do u connect number 6 ??????

Cut a line in the wire pull back then wrap it round twist together as neat as possible, wrap with insulation tape.

As for the loop 4.6 not sure, its either saying use 4 or 6 to number to no 7 on the rj45 side. Go with the original and leave out 6 and see how you get on.

Any damage done TK is not responsible BTW ;). You asked for the wiring diagram and there it is :).

I have tried the configuration shown, I am no longer getting the error but the box will not connect.
Anybody any ideas?

is there anyone who can get these lan adapters ive tryed all the wiring diagrams availible and still nothing can anyone help here

maybe the way starview have done it ,could it act as a security device to allow hook up,any other devices not theirs will have no access??

i presume you have showmustgoon on box and you have rebooted all devices box modem and router,power off for 30 secs then on?

Last edited:
yh i have the correct firmware did all the reboots ive tryed my mates adapter off his starview 7 and it connects straight away so i know the box is ok just cannot find the correct adapter anyware it looks like im gonna have to buy a new box just for the adapter feel so gutted paying all that money for one thing tho

Last edited:
why dont tou try stockists off starview they might just have the odd faulty unit knocking about, or maybe THEKIDDY coyuld asssit

ive tryed the main supplyer for starview they wouldent help me 1 bit said i had to buy a new box i cannot believe no one has spares for these boxes

It is possible that the adapters you have bought make the device configuration you have straight through instead of crossover. This would mean that using the usual straight through ethernet cable would then have your send wire on the box going to the send wire on the modem\router for want of a better word (instead of send wire going to recieve wire as it should be). Hope you follow that lol
So a suggestion would be to aquire or buy a ethernet crossover cable, as opposed to the usual straight through cable. Most computer shops should sell crossover cables.
The image below shows straight through cable on the left, and crossover cable on the right (note send and recieve wires crossed over)
crossover-4.gif

This is only a suggestion, but will only cost a couple of pounds to try out.

i bought the SERIAL RS232 DB9 9 PIN FEMALE TO RJ45 FEMALE ADAPTOR
from ebay that you wire yourself ive tried all the diagrams avalable atm nothing is working this is the item number i bought from ebay 160451505414

Are you using it like this or is the RJ45 straight into the back of the box? cutting out the extension.

rs123.jpg

Back