Proud of the oldest Lad

mike123

VIP Member
TK Supporter
My oldest boy who left college on Friday started a job on Monday. The main reason it is special is because he has Autism and the employer concentrated more on what he could do instead of what he could not. His Mother and I were very worried and thought it could take a good while for him to find a job but he has done really well.

Congratulations, I think there's a lot more awareness and understanding of autism around now and it's great that your son has found a good employer.
Unfortunately I wish it was true about the awareness. People don't understand because it is something they can't see.

Congratulations @mike123. They never stop worrying you do they but he'll be fine with you two by his side.
My son's on the spectrum and is different to others but I call it unique as he really excels at certain things so can relate to your anxiety for him. Best of luck for his new job.

Unfortunately I wish it was true about the awareness. People don't understand because it is something they can't see.
That is so true bud people don’t understand the awareness and the mindset of children/adults with autism but is as parents with special needs children do.
It’s brilliant that your son has a job and that the employer has looked from a different perspective about what your lad is good at and not turned his nose up like most employers do with special needs you and his mum should be extremely proud that he’s taken the role and shown nothing will hold him back 🤩🤩🤩

Congratulations @mike123. They never stop worrying you do they but he'll be fine with you two by his side.
My son's on the spectrum and is different to others but I call it unique as he really excels at certain things so can relate to your anxiety for him. Best of luck for his new job.
I’ve 3 with autism one has pda aswell and as you say there different in certain ways but what they lack in one thing the gain in another

Speaking purely for the workplace - my employer had people come in and give talks on autism and imo there's much more acceptance and understanding of the quirks of character that would previously have been ridiculed or seen as a hindrance for an enployee being of value. I don't disagree that some people don't understand, but employers are especially aware of it nowadays compared to in days gone by, especially with the threat of compensation claims for anyone they don't treat fairly.

My oldest boy who left college on Friday started a job on Monday. The main reason it is special is because he has Autism and the employer concentrated more on what he could do instead of what he could not. His Mother and I were very worried and thought it could take a good while for him to find a job but he has done really well.
Aup mate thats really good news and you must be so so proud of him for his acheivement.
I too am autistic ( high functioning aspergers) i hope he enjoys what he is going to be doing just as much as i love my job.
More and more employers are geared up to the needs of potential employee's nowadays with special needs and beginning to understand what they can do instead of what they cant do.
Ive always been obsessed with engineering and robotics and luckily its my main employment.
Its not been an easy journey over the years and ive had a lot of help and support along the way but it was worth the effort etc.

Excellent news mike123 and as most are aware my lad is autistic. We seem to have a good few members either on or have family on the spectrum and i personally feel there is a little community on here who understand what its all about. Maybe a raffle which would do well and one for hiteck to think about. Hope he enjoys his new job on monday (y)

He is doing well and enjoying his work We were in Devon last week tight sod would not buy me a pint. Also have just stopped smoking one week in and going fine so far.
That’s good bud I’ve gone onto ecig to cut down on fags gone from 20+ a day to around 5-6 fags a day

Last edited:
That’s good bud I’ve gone onto ecig to **** down on fags gone from 20+ a day to around 5-6 fags a day
Dirty stinking habit and something i never got into, Do like the odd cigar at xmas but only the best cuban with a nice malt :sneaky:

Back