PS4 PS4 is killing my internet

dt99

TK Veteran
PS4 seems to be killing my internet when it's downloading updates on both wired and WiFi.

When it's downloading anything then anything else connected struggles, Kodi, Plex, IPTV, mobiles etc. I did a speed test on my phone and I was getting 17 mb, switch the PS4 off and it jumps back up to 40 mb.

Problem is when the PS4 is downloading updates I can't watch anything via streaming. Example, I tried to watch a video on Plex, not a chance, constant freezing. Switch the PS4 off and the video then plays perfectly.

Is there any way to stop the PS4 using so much bandwidth? Son has that many games that it's always updating something.

I was blaming my Plex supplier, thinking it was their server, then I had the thought about the PS4, switched it off and Plex was perfect again.

Really frustrating. It's like the PS4 just swallows up the internet.

Check if your router has QoS settings. From there you will be able to pick from a list of devices that are 'known' to the router and limit on a device by device basis.

I can do it on my router and it's just the bog standard Vodafone router.

If not you might be able to assign the PS4 a static IP and then limit that IP address.

Apparently Sky Q router does not have QOS settings. I will have a look at the static IP address option.

I just tried it again and when the PS4 is running online or downloading it seems to be my Nvidia Shield that suffers the most. Happens regardless of whether the PS4 is wired or WiFi.

Just to test it, I started the PS4 downloading an update for a game and tried Plex on my shield, both the Plex app and via Kodi just froze after 2 seconds and then played a second, froze, so on and so on.

I then tried Plex via my Smart TV and it played fine.......did a speed test and speed was low, but Plex was fine via the TV. TV is WiFi.

Switched PS4 off, speed test result went back up and Plex started working again on the shield. I'm wondering if there is something I can change on the shield? Tried the shield on wired and WiFi and it makes no difference.

Clearly the issue is the PS4 somewhere.

Not sure if there would be anything you could change on your shield but someone might know.

I think that while the issue is the PS4, in terms of that is eating the bandwidth, the real issue is the router not prioritising correctly.

You could get a different router that allows more settings but it's a faff to set up and an expense.

On Plex you could force it to transcode, so you used less bandwidth, but that would mean the picture quality would suffer.

The good news is Sky are upgrading everyone to 63Mbs free of charge.

Not sure if there would be anything you could change on your shield but someone might know.

I think that while the issue is the PS4, in terms of that is eating the bandwidth, the real issue is the router not prioritising correctly.

You could get a different router that allows more settings but it's a faff to set up and an expense.

On Plex you could force it to transcode, so you used less bandwidth, but that would mean the picture quality would suffer.

The good news is Sky are upgrading everyone to 63Mbs free of charge.

Where did you hear sky are upgrading every one to 63mbps?

The c#unts never told me about this when i upgraded a month ago lol
Me neither Sly by name Sly by nature. We have the same problem in my house if my son is downloading one of the ridiculously sized title updates on his xbox one it's like going back in to the dial up days.

I asked Sky on the online chat, we cannot say IF or WHEN the increased internet speed will be available in your area, if it is available we will write to you.

Apparently it's not available at the minute.

As if by magic a lovely letter from the Sly overlords just arrived on the door mat.
"The upgrades start in December and through to spring. During this time you will automatically be moved from fibre unlimited with a average download speed of 36mb onto fibre max with an average download speed of 63mb. That's 75% faster, and you don't need to do anything"
Feels like a day to celebrate i mean its not like they are not giving me enough (almost) free stuff already with my tv veiwing :grin::grin:

Last edited:
why not just disable automatic updates and downloads on the ps4? that way it ain't gonna affect anything unless you let it

Back