Query on old freeview digital boxes

bonus2010

VIP Member
Its a question about the old digital TV boxes (maybe they were called Freeview boxes) sold in the UK around 1990s,
which took an ordinary analogue TV aerial signal, and then via digital scart provided output of about 40 channels or so..

The question is: was that technology able to provide optional pay for view TV or a subscription to say premium channels?

I seem to think it did although I never used it, maybe there was a card that you had to buy.

Reason for this daft question, is there's been a government debate regards the TV Licence fee, with suggestions
that the BBC should be paid for by subscription, but the excuse has been put forward that this couldn't be
considered until all households across UK has fast broadband.

My thoughts were, why the need for broadband, why not just encode the BBC signal, and for those without fast
broadband can use a simple decoder, technology which I believe existed and was being used in the 1990s, when
I stopped to wonder whether I'm right on that technology?

How would this work when millions of pensioners don't have a box at all and some of them getting a free tv licence?

How would this work when millions of pensioners don't have a box at all and some of them getting a free tv licence?

Well, I'm not really at the stage of considering whether pensioner's have digital boxes or not, but whether the technology of digital boxes can be used for subscription, only where
people don't have access to broadband. I'm trying to debunk this excuse government have made that in order to have subscription, high speed broadband is a requirement,
which I don't believe is right... but you know, on a fact gathering mission..

I would imagine the vast majority of OAP's don't have any form of broadband at all. I know my MIL hasn't.
Sky boxes in the 90's didn't have networking though. I don't think the early ones even connected to a phone line.

Were the old boxes mpeg2 as i remember i had one years ago until the changeover to digital mpeg4/5 and they did not work after.
cant remember if it had lan.

Freeview is just by an aerial but should work without lan and i dont think many channels came on premium unless you had a different box from a different source.

What boxes are available for pensioners?
Do they have a sat dish as plenty on freesat
freeview via aerial.
doubt they have free cable service from virgin?

Those boxes could not access premium services.

Obsolete Freeview Receiver List | Radio & Telly UK

Last edited:
I put an old H2S in the MIL's bungalow for her as the previous occupant had a Sky dish.
Sky FTA and no network. EPG downloads via the iepgdata channel on a fake recording.

So really, would I be right in thinking that in order to authenticate a received encrypted TV signal, you'd need to have either a phone line or a broadband/fibre connection?

The old boxes did have slots for cards etc for pay for services and i do recall some channels you got a pin or code for access when you called up.
But as mentioned above not sure if they work now as tech has moved on.

Fake recording what no hdd or usb?
Yes, a usb in the back to store epg but she doesn't record anything.

The old boxes did have slots for cards etc for pay for services and i do recall some channels you got a pin or code for access when you called up.
But as mentioned above not sure if they work now as tech has moved on.
Isn't that when they started insisting that a phone line had to be connected?
People would make up a little lead with a 9v battery attached and plugged into the phone socket to trick the box into thinking the line was connected but in use.

But the H2 was much later than 1990s older boxes.
Think most boxes came with Ci slots for hiding your credit card.

Its a question about the old digital TV boxes (maybe they were called Freeview boxes) sold in the UK around 1990s,
which took an ordinary analogue TV aerial signal, and then via digital scart provided output of about 40 channels or so..

The question is: was that technology able to provide optional pay for view TV or a subscription to say premium channels?

I seem to think it did although I never used it, maybe there was a card that you had to buy.

Reason for this daft question, is there's been a government debate regards the TV Licence fee, with suggestions
that the BBC should be paid for by subscription, but the excuse has been put forward that this couldn't be
considered until all households across UK has fast broadband.

My thoughts were, why the need for broadband, why not just encode the BBC signal, and for those without fast
broadband can use a simple decoder, technology which I believe existed and was being used in the 1990s, when
I stopped to wonder whether I'm right on that technology?
I think you're referring to the 'On Digital' boxes. They gave you all terrestrial (free) channels digitally. You could pay for a card that gave subscription channels like Sky Sports. Very few did as the encryption was hacked, 'dodgy' boxes or cards became widespread.

The earlier set top boxes just provided a different tuner to enable the reception of the new freeview channels (aerial in/out and a couple of scart sockets)

The later ones added a card reader and ethernet port for connecting to the internet

ITV Digital - Wikipedia

"ITV Digital was a British digital terrestrial television broadcaster which launched a pay-TV service on the world's first digital terrestrial television network. Its main shareholders were Carlton Communications plc and Granada plc, owners of two franchises of the ITV network. Starting as ONdigital in 1998, the service was re-branded as ITV Digital in July 2001."

OnDigital

ONdigital Overview - ONhistory

If someone is genuinely fearful of trusting the vaccine then personally I wouldn't begrudge them accessing the national health service they've paid towards if they should be unfortunate enough to catch the virus.
And probably it's the same people who regular have the flu jab. I'd like to look in their medicine cabinet and under their sinks.
It's the good old British stance "I've paid in I want treating, because I've paid in you know!!" :)
Me?, ban them, no vaccine, no entrance to NHS or rest homes, no travel, no public transport, no in door public access.

My wife is as a receptionist at a very big doctors surgery. The fist banging, swearing, abuse she and work colleagues get in a day is unbelievable from "People whose paid in" (there the worse) as they like my wife to know how long they've worked for and what their entitled to.

Walk in, get jabbed I say, be done then go the pub, large greasy burger and chips, few lager. If the jab don't kill one of the other 3 will.

Watch how many change would change their tune if they said no jab no pub and banned you from the boozer.

No likey vaccine, no likey NHS

Personally I think most countries will not matter if you're vaccinated or not. I think it'll come down to the negative tests. What difference it will make, is for holiday insurance. I think the premiums for those unvaccinated will be much more
50% accuracy test. M8 tested for work 3 times a week at home negative

Went and got tested positive
Went home tested 3 times while in isolation negative.

1 way, get the vaccine then when you do get Covid you won't be as ill. Everyone will eventually get it don't con yourself.
Vaccine will stop people getting hospitised.
Why is this important and explain this to those who don't understand.
Less Covid in hospital means resources put elsewhere and we can try to chase up and treat the millions of people suffering on piled to the sky waiting list for life changing treatment to many to list.
Waiting list built up due to Covid

There
Go get jabbed and save a cancer patient waiting for his op that's been put back twice due to Covid.

If we all said No to the vaccine and with this new highly contagious variant running rampant (and more to follow) tell me what do you think will happen to the elderly and vulnerable especially after lockdown eases no jab?.

Do they not see the figures and see its worked ? 14 deaths this week ?.
Really some people need a bang on the head with a small treacle hammer to wake them up

Ha ha, seems techkings are now censoring ala facebook anything they don't agree with, I knew there was a reason it went off my radar.

what was the box that you used to get the free monkey with what used to be on the tv advertisments with johny vegas as i can remember you could put a card in them like a sky card with chip on and get a lot more channels you could even get a card reader and download the codes onto the cards so you even got all the extra tv channels

Philips, Pace, Pioneer and more I can't remember. I think all would accept the 'hacked' card. As said they stopped working when they changed the system.

what was the box that you used to get the free monkey with what used to be on the tv advertisments with johny vegas as i can remember you could put a card in them like a sky card with chip on and get a lot more channels you could even get a card reader and download the codes onto the cards so you even got all the extra tv channels
OnDigital which used a Pace box

Ha ha, seems techkings are now censoring ala facebook anything they don't agree with, I knew there was a reason it went off my radar.
2 things.
1. Your answer to the original question is fine, but what has all that vaccine stuff got to do with the original post?
2. Who and why do you think you are being censored?

Wheelo -- something weird happened with that post ::
the bit about ITV Digital Wikipedia was made by me (also the Ondigital Overview bit) and has somehow morphed into a post by mikk with add vaccine stuff ??

Wheelo -- something weird happened with that post ::
the bit about ITV Digital Wikipedia was made by me (also the Ondigital Overview bit) and has somehow morphed into a post by mikk with add vaccine stuff ??
Something odd has happened for sure, but hey, you live and learn lol..

Back