Question?

channelking

Is it possible that having a 2400Mhz splitter causes issues like intermittent issues?

I have read it's best to get a splitter which has a frequency between 500-1000Mhz is that true?

I just followed the link Kremmen gave, I didn't know there are different types of splitters and cables.

I am so puzzled as all of the information is so technical and advanced.

glad you posted it in here as you cant use a splitter on sat,i cant remember the correct one for splitting cable as ebay has a few different ones listed with different values .

I know Im not talking about splitter for sat but splitter for cable.

Have I got the wrong cable coax cables and splitter?

I hope so mate, as I dont think I have the right kit from what I read.

Maybe that is why I am getting intermittent issues sometimes.

I just want to know whether I need some other coax cables and splitter or any high quality cables and splitter to what I have now?

I know but they changed some cables recently and it's still happening, it wasn't as bad as before getting the kit.

That is why I'm certain it could be the kit now.

Would get a high quality splitter and coax with connectors solve everything?

The whole MHz frequency has messed my mind now.

So they did the repull and nothing has changed.

We told you in the first thread that there will always be a signal loss through any splitter & extra cables. I can only repeat what was said earlier. You need to keep on & on & on at VM to get the service you are paying for. Keep calling, keep posting in the VM forums & don't stop until VM actually do something about it. If I was you, I would call their bluff & phone up threatening to leave. They will always ask why. Then you tell them what a shi**y service you are getting. Like me, perhaps only then will they actually get something done about it.

Where did you read about 1000MHz splitters being best for cable? What reasons did they give? Can you post some links?

You could buy the most expensive splitter & cables in the world, but you would still get at least 3.5dB loss through them. The laws of physics etc.

They just changed a few cables.

Kremmen mate you don't understand how many calls, emails I have done over such a long time. Even made posts on their forums to no avail. I did threaten to leave but they said I'm free to go if I want. So doesn't look like they would do anything else. Seems like they have exhausted all their methods to try to fix the problem.

I do agree with you and I'm not doubting that there is signal loss through the splitter and extra coax cables it's common sense
tbh. But is there no way to check on your router or somewhere how good your signal is before using the splitter and how much signal you have lost with a splitter?

Im afraid I haven't got the websites saved and it's not in history. I was just randomly going through articles looking for a solution and came across frequency splitters and read cable splitters shouldn't be more than 1000mhz or 1ghz as sat splitters are usually over 2000mhz or 2-2.5ghzThought the frequency was the cause guess not. Sorry I haven't got links mate.

So getting VM splitter and cables won't make much difference?

What model number of VM router do you have?

When I was still with VM, I had the old NTL:250 modem (they didn't supply routers then). Like most modem/routers you can access the stats from the webpage for the router. You should have the address printed somewhere in the instructions. Sometimes it's printed on the rear/underneath the router itself. Perhaps 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.1.1.

I'm suprised that no one on the VM forums asked you to supply some signal readings from the stats page?

There are 1000MHz splitters on Ebay, & as we said in the other post, you can try getting higher quality, low loss cables, but it won't make much difference (IMO).

Even if you had zero loss through the splitter & extra cables, without a reliable internet connection you would lose your $ channels every time your connection is lost.

I have posted before about my abysmal treatment by VM, so I understand your frustration. The fact remains that there is obviously a fault somewhere & VM seem as imcompetent at finding faults now as they were in the days of NTL. Nothing changes! :damn:

It's the latest router mate. Not at home so can't give exact name.

ye I think the first one is the address to access the router.

so when I get into the router it should say my signal before router and how much signal I have lost with splitter?

That is what I was thinking. Maybe getting the highest quality cables and splitter from ebay or the ISP won't stop the drop outs, I was just clinging on to something.

If I can't sort it out which I doubt I will, I have to accept the problem as I don't want to lose potential for cable channels. Oh well it's only so much I can do before just giving up essentially.

Is it possible that having a 2400Mhz splitter causes issues like intermittent issues?

I know a few people using splitters with this frequency and they work without any issues.

Doubt it's your kit, as mentioned above, most likely your ISP.

If you think it's down to the splitter, there is no harm in trying a different one to confirm it, they are only a couple of quid.

Or take the case off the VM box outside your house and have a look at the splitter in there, you will probably
find it has the same frequency.

Last edited:
...so when I get into the router it should say my signal before router and how much signal I have lost with splitter?...

You will need to disconnect the splitter & extra cables, & connect your feed straight to the router. Find the page that shows your router upstream/downstream signal stats & make a note of them (either a screen dump or copy/paste into notepad).

Reconnect the splitter & extra cables, & make a note of the new readings. You can then see from the downstream power readings what losses you are getting through the splitter.

I used to know all the acceptable power/snr readings when I was still with VM, as I was noting them down all day, every day LOL. Although, I think the acceptable levels depended on which area you were in, either Pure NTL, Ex C&W, or EX TW, as they use different equipment.

Oh dear..I'm having terrible flashbacks! I need to lie down for half an hour. Where are my special pills. :oddball::whacko:ROFL

I know a few people using splitters with this frequency and they work without any issues.

Doubt it's your kit, as mentioned above, most likely your ISP.

If you think it's down to the splitter, there is no harm in trying a different one to confirm it, they are only a couple of quid.

Or take the case off the VM box outside your house and have a look at the splitter in there, you will probably
find it has the same frequency.

What do you mean splitter on box outside my house?

i thought there was just cables and connectors connected to outside box?

---------- Post Merged at 01:57 PM ----------

...so when I get into the router it should say my signal before router and how much signal I have lost with splitter?...

You will need to disconnect the splitter & extra cables, & connect your feed straight to the router. Find the page that shows your router upstream/downstream signal stats & make a note of them (either a screen dump or copy/paste into notepad).

Reconnect the splitter & extra cables, & make a note of the new readings. You can then see from the downstream power readings what losses you are getting through the splitter.

I used to know all the acceptable power/snr readings when I was still with VM, as I was noting them down all day, every day LOL. Although, I think the acceptable levels depended on which area you were in, either Pure NTL, Ex C&W, or EX TW, as they use different equipment.

Oh dear..I'm having terrible flashbacks! I need to lie down for half an hour. Where are my special pills. :oddball::whacko:ROFL

Thanks mate.

Can I just take the main feed from the splitter input and put straight into router without disconnecting the splitter and extra coax cables completely?

So I just look at downstream and not upstream readings?

How would I know what the acceptable levels should be after using a splitter?

Thanks mate.

1) Can I just take the main feed from the splitter input and put straight into router without disconnecting the splitter and extra coax cables completely?

2) So I just look at downstream and not upstream readings?

3) How would I know what the acceptable levels should be after using a splitter?

1) Yep. Just connect the feed directly to the router. The same way you had it before you bought your box/splitter etc.

2) I can't remember how the upstream was affected by extra attenuation. I assume it's affected in the same way as downstream, so take a look at both, including SNR & anything else that's on the stats page.

3) I don't know what the current acceptable levels are any more. Try Googling for them, or asking on a dedicated VM forum (although don't mention anything about splitters or cable boxes).

What I did was, keep the router stats page open on my desktop & made a note of the readings when the internet was working. When the internet went off, I refreshed the stats page & made another note of the readings to compare them. It showed how my levels were fluctuating wildly.

btw...my outside box doesn't contain any splitters, but my inside box has a TV/FM isolator. It was fitted in the days when they sent FM radio signals down the cable. It's rated at 5 - 1000 MHz.

Last edited:
Thanks mate.

1) Can I just take the main feed from the splitter input and put straight into router without disconnecting the splitter and extra coax cables completely?

2) So I just look at downstream and not upstream readings?

3) How would I know what the acceptable levels should be after using a splitter?

1) Yep. Just connect the feed directly to the router. The same way you had it before you bought your box/splitter etc.

2) I can't remember how the upstream was affected by extra attenuation. I assume it's affected in the same way as downstream, so take a look at both, including SNR & anything else that's on the stats page.

3) I don't know what the current acceptable levels are any more. Try Googling for them, or asking on a dedicated VM forum (although don't mention anything about splitters or cable boxes).

What I did was, keep the router stats page open on my desktop & made a note of the readings when the internet was working. When the internet went off, I refreshed the stats page & made another note of the readings to compare them. It showed how my levels were fluctuating wildly.

btw...my outside box doesn't contain any splitters, but my inside box has a TV/FM isolator. It was fitted in the days when they sent FM radio signals down the cable. It's rated at 5 - 1000 MHz.

Hi mate,

I am on stats page for both upstream and downstream but I dont know what im supposed to look at. I cant find where SNR is? Plus I dont even know how much signal has changed and gone down since splitter?

I would imagine what ever the acceptable levels are it will apply to the feed directly in router and not so much to splitter as the level will drop due to signal loss with splitter.

So I could have a splitter on the outside box? so you had a 1000mhz frequency splitter in your house?

Checked my outside box, it says 2 way splitter rated 5 -1000 mhz.

They may have split it there, as my router is in a different room to my TV and I have a feed to each room.

(Don't see how this would make a difference though, the other type just has a bigger frequency range 5 - 2400mhz )

Last edited:
Back