Windows 7 Quickly Share Files Between PCs Using HomeGroup in Windows 7

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have two or more PCs at your home then you can easily create a HomeGroup in Windows 7, and share files and media between them using the networking feature. You can share images, videos and other documents very easily using this feature.

To use this feature, you have to create a homegroup on one computer and join it from other computers. Once the process is complete, you can start sharing files and folders between those computers.

How to create a Homegroup in Windows 7

Click the “Start” button and type homegroup in the search box. Press Enter.

homegroup19577259.png

On the HomeGroup window, click on “create a homegroup” button.

createhomegroup9719224.png

A password will appear on your screen. This password is needed at the time when you are connecting the other computer to your Homegroup. Write down the password or take a print of it. Click “Finish”.

createhomegroup29772456.png

Now select the files you want to share. You can share library files and attached printer. Also you can stream pictures, music and videos to all the devices of your home network. After selecting your choice, click on “save changes” button.

homegroupfiles9856949.png

How to join a Homegroup

Suppose you have two computers in your home. On the first computer you created a home group. Now you can join that homegroup on your second PC.

In the second computer, click on Start button and type Homegroup in the search box. Press Enter key. A Homegroup screen will appear as shown in the screenshot below. Click on “Join now” button.

homegroup49930396.png

Now select the library folder you want to share. Here I am sharing my music folder.

homegroup59989435.png

It will ask you to enter the password. Enter the password generated during creation of Homegroup in the first step, and click the “Next” button.

homegroup20046253.png

After you have successfully joined the group, click “Finish”.

homegroup30092816.png

Now, go to system explorer and click on “Homegroup” given on the left. The PC connected with Homegroup appears on the right. Click on it to access the shared files.

homegroupabhi0142040.png

In the screenshot below, the music folder is shared. I clicked on it to access all the music files of that PC.

homegroupmusic0186822.png

Here are the music files. Now I can play any music file present inside the folder just like I’d play files on my own computer.

homegroupmusic10262190.png

That’s how you can easily share files and media between two or more computers.

-

Yes i use this. Have some trouble sometimes with one of my sons pcs sometimes it works sometimes it dont ( says its a network problem). But my other son and hubbys lappy work ok on it.

It came in use earlier today actually i was looking for a file whilst on my sons pc so looked up my files on via the home group and just copied it to his pc - fantastic stuff so now he has the same file on his pc without me having to google it. Plus any music he has i can pinch without having to share his itunes :)
We share all sorts of files photos docs music etc

Your post makes it clear to understand how to ect.Very good Gman

Back