Receiving Error Message With External HDD

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
I have been receiving an error message when I turn on my external hard drive as well as when I turn it off. So I thought, that my drive was going bad, which would really suck because it is almost brand new. But, the issue only occurs when using XP. I can re-boot into Win7 and turn it on and off with no issues. What else is odd, is that after I click cancel, continue, or try again about 10 times it will be fine. All my information is there. I have tried uninstalling my USB drivers but that made no difference. There are no exclamations in my device manager showing either, so I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. (y)

Attachments

• drive error.JPG
    drive error.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 46
have a look here ferguj hope it helps

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...p/thread/546ed65a-2054-4baa-b2af-041fdab3fccc

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/51f25eebf57e8720

Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf7c 4 75

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The answer lies in the words "Windows: No Disk", your PC is looking for a USB
device - e.g. a USB stick or a cell phone - that you've recently plugged in
and have removed without using the "remove hardware safely" option in the
right hand bottom corner of your screen. Put the last USB device you used
back into the USB port and then use the "remove software safely" option.

The pop up message will disappear.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> You do know that Extended Support for SP2 will end in 2010, right ?
> That means no further security updates will be available for the system
> unless SP3 is installed by then.
>
> With SP3 installed, Extended Support will end in 2014.
>
> Your choice, Mike.
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
> Use this forum for all issues related to Windows XP SP3
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2010&SiteID=17
> or
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>
> " Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is
> valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy,
> visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Availability of chat or
> e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For
> customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support
> is available.
>
> Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge. "
>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]

Last edited:
Fergus I'll have to say that I always have used the "safely remove hardware" thingy and I've never received that message. NOT saying it's the problem but it could be.. other than that I'm NOT happy about what else I read. LOL. Forcing me to join the SP3 race. :(

Fergus I'll have to say that I always have used the "safely remove hardware" thingy and I've never received that message. NOT saying it's the problem but it could be.. other than that I'm NOT happy about what else I read. LOL. Forcing me to join the SP3 race. :(

I always use the "safely remove hardware" feature. I have seen too much information lost at work by the knotheads who are too lazy to do it. So I don't think that is the problem.

have you run a chkdsk -r on drive?

That was one of the first things I done, and it takes for freaking ever on a 1 tb drive. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

hi ferg, what you could do if you want is disable the write caching of the external disc, this way you wouldnt have to use the safe removal at all.

you double click the safe remove icon to get your list of connected devices
select your connected hard drive by its name, not by usb mass storage device
you do this by ticking the box on the bottom left that says "display device components"

select properties, then policies
you should see two options
one is "optimize for quick removal"
the other is " optimize for performance"

think you have to do a restart afterwards and you shouldnt see the error message again.
i know it would be nice to know why the error message is there in the first place but this is just another option for you to try :)

p.s. dont kill me if the hard drive doesnt show up at all lol

Thanks axxxo, may give that a try.

Also to add to my previous post, I downloaded and ran the Western Digital Diagnostic tool and did the full scan last night, over 8 hrs worth and it came back fine. So that is a relief anyway. Although, I was reasonably sure that it wasn't the drive as the issue did not duplicate itself when running under Win7, but I wanted to check and be sure anyway.

Just an update, which I am bad about not doing :sorry: , I finally ran the repair feature on my XP install disk, as I was having some other issues as well and that seems to have took care of that problem, hopefully for good. Thanks to all who helped. :cheers:

glad you got it sorted mate..i had a similar problem with an external HD and the kind folks on this site helped me to fix

Back