Recordable Freeview box options

graphene

My Youview PVR has given up the ghost (and I've lost all my recordings in the process) so I'm looking for a replacement that's fairly similar to it's function.

I'm pretty new to this but I've been looking at E2 Linux boxes as replacements but happy to consider other non-E2 boxes if they meet my requirements. I do like the look of some of the advanced E2 features like being able to watch from other devices on your network though.

Must haves:

- Support UK Freeview (so DVB-T2)
- Twin tuners or more (able to record 1 channel while watching another)
- Be able to record unencrypted, either to internal hard drive or external USB
- Wifi

Nice to haves but not essential:

- IPTV support - currently use a Firestick for this
- 4K support - only really for future proofing, I would doubt freeview is going 4K anytime soon
- Loop-out on the aerial
- Record to network shares

Don't need:

- Any cable or satellite support

The only box I've found is the Zgemma H7C but that doesn't have Wifi built in or the VU+ Uno 4K which is pricey. Are there any other options?

Otherwise, there are the £30-40 freeview boxes on Amazon like the Oakcastle SB110 and August DVB400 but these seem to be single tuner only.

Thanks! (Hope this is ok here, couldn't find a general freeview board)

I would ask is the tv freeview also as could view on that and record on box.

Do/Did you have a sat dish and still there to use.

Hardwired is better if possible for lan

Aerial connection to an f connector splitter feeding tv and box

Welcome.

The change to Enigma2 receivers is quite big. The ones who struggle most are those who do not appreciate the difference between bouquets/channel lists and EPG and insist they are the same thing. Once you get out of that loop you will be OK.

- Support UK Freeview (so DVB-T2)
All Enigma2 receivers will be DVB-T2 compliant

- Twin tuners or more (able to record 1 channel while watching another)
Technically, the receivers record/receiver transponders. So for arguments sake, if you were on the HD transponder, you can watch/record/stream all those services.
Simply put, a Tuner allows access to a mux/transponder. You can watch/record from the number of transponders muxes that equals the number of tuners you have.

You could record 8 channels on one occasion, and on another you would only be able to do 1. It depends on the transponders/mux in use. So a twin tuner is a wise choice.

All Enigma2 receivers record unencrypted and in .ts files.
You can configure which device it records to. USB, internal HDD. external HDD or networked device.

Unfortunately, the STB market is not geared for Terrestrial users. TVs receive the services, clutter etc. So multiple tuner DVB-T receivers are not widely available. The Zgemma you mentioned is probably among cheapest one you can get with twin tuners. Also, Hi-Silicon devices have better media playback than Broadcom devices. Codecs and licences etc.

You might be better off taking a second hand device as lots of people had hybrid tuners for UK DVB-C which is no longer decryptable. Might be an idea to put advert in classifieds if you want to consider that. Just for information purposes...

Xtrend 8000 can accomodate 3 tuners
Xtrend 8500 can accomodate 4 tuners
Xtrend 1000 can accomodate 4 tuners
Vu Duo 2 will take two cards. The cards come in 1 and 2 tuner models. So you could have 4 tuners.
Vu Solo Se v2, will take a twin tuner card. No internal HDD though.

GI lX3 will have two PnP tuners. But the PSU will need recapping every few years. Miraclebox etc are same OEM brand

There are a few Zgemmas that have hybrid tuners.

Depending on kernels etc, most receivers will take a USB tuner.

Last edited:
Any particular reason why it has to have WiFi?
H7C has an ethernet port so it can be hardwired.
I use one for Freeview and IPTV

I don't have hard wiring so would need WiFi to access the box on the local network and to use IPTV. A usb wifi adapter would work as well.

I would ask is the tv freeview also as could view on that and record on box.

Do/Did you have a sat dish and still there to use.

Hardwired is better if possible for lan

Aerial connection to an f connector splitter feeding tv and box

The TV is freeview but has a non-HD tuner so I was using the youview box for watching HD and recording.

No Sat dish at all on the house. It does have a currently unused Virgin Media TV cable behind the TV (we don't have VM).

Welcome.

The change to Enigma2 receivers is quite big. The ones who struggle most are those who do not appreciate difference between bouquets/channel lists and EPG and insist they are the same thing. Once you get out of that loop you will be OK.

Thanks. I'm new to E2 but happy to learn, biggest frustration is losing the recordings I had which has made me look at alternatives. I've flashed custom ROMs to android phones in the past, run a pi hole on a pi W on my network and can use linux on a basic level on the desktop so this sort of stuff is not completely new to me.

All Enigma2 recivers record unencrypted in .ts files.
You can record configure which device it record to, USB, internal or networked device.

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions of boxes. I've also seen the Mutant HD51 with 2 DVB-T2 tuners but again it doesn't seem to be produced anymore.

Back