Recover Dead Skybox Flash Using Serial RS232 Null modem Cable

for all those having f5 problems

If you get a mismatch chances u have a clone it u flash via null and it loops you have a clone ive put the firmware for this on the openbox forum.com as I dont have it to hand hope this helps.

Russ

firmware upgrade issue file mismatch error, I have seen this on many forums now and users are being told to flash their F5 boxes with a RS232 null modem cable which could render their boxes unusable.
I have down loaded this firmware (SKYBOX_F3_M3_F5_3601HD_CMT_130327079B) from 3 different sites and when I try to upgrade get, file mismatch.

I have found this site HDDVBSW.C** and downloaded their latest firmware (SKYBOX F5 _3601HD_CMT_130327) and had no issues with upgrading, it would seem that my F5 box could be a clone as original firmware does not work.

I would like this forum and others to recognize that there are 2 different firmware upgrades available.......thanks

Skybox F5 clone update

This is an alternative firmware upgrade for the skybox F5, if like me, running official firmware you get file mismatch error. You may find that this is the correct firmware for you box.

Thanks to HiTech

Attachments

• 201304090525492081.rar
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,869
Just providing a post so that I can download the upgrade tool to recover my skybox f5. It gets stuck at 043 every time I power it up. It happened when I was using the GPRS connection and did a search for channels.

Sorry for the delay in getting back the firmware will only work for the skybox f5 but will upload software for the f3.

Success in recovery!

In case anyone is interested:
i managed to restore my skybox F5 by downloading the prolific rs232 driver for XP and the upgrade tool from skybox.cc
so ensure that you take a backup before you mess about with any of the settings, as you never which changes will mean that the skybox stops loading.
Finally, program lists are also available from skybox.cc as well as the program edit tool that makes it much easier to set up your favourites and remove unwanted channels.

Skybox F3 and F4 Fw not for original box.

I have downloaded this firmware upgrade for the skybox F3 and F4 please note that this firmware is for non-original skyboxes if you are in doubt then please do not use.
I have also included the RS232 null modem upgrade tool, again use this at your own risk.

1. First file is for Skybox F4
2. First file is for Skybox F3
3. First file is for RS232 upgrade tool

Attachments

• 201304090546405651.rar
    2.8 MB · Views: 539
  • 201304090552059058.rar
    2.8 MB · Views: 329
  • 201303230710321713.rar
    221.1 KB · Views: 639
hi guys,

got a bricked f5 box...no power or start up... ethernet port is lit... will this fix work? if so which software is best to use?

ps, I have no comport port apart from the one to the monitor. I do have a usb to male serial connector and f/f serial cable...will this work???

ty

Hi All, new to all this... got a problem with the Skybox f3. After searching for channels it froze! And now it won't power up! I will try the method above and see what happens! Thanks

Back