Redesigned and Cheaper PS3 May Be Too Late for Sony

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
Sony unveiled a new PlayStation 3 video-game console Wednesday with a slimmer form factor, a 120GB hard drive and a price that's more competitive with the Nintendo Wii and Microsoft Xbox 360. The new model is called the PS3 Slim.

The smaller PS3 is expected to be available Sept. 1 with a retail price of $299, and Sony said new game titles will roll out in time for the holiday shopping season. Analysts said a cheaper PS3 is the right strategy at this stage in the console's life cycle, but some suggested it may be too late for Sony to launch a comeback.

"Price was a big inhibitor for the PS3," said Michael Cai, a video-game analyst at Interpret. "Initially, Blu-ray was a driving force for PS3 sales because a lot of consumers were looking at this feature. But as the prices of stand-alone Blu-ray players continue to drop, that part of the appeal is diminishing a little bit. It was time for Sony to drop the price."

Building PS3 Demand

Sony's lower price results from a redesign of its components, from the main semiconductors and power supply to the cooling mechanism. The console itself has been completely redesigned with a slimmer and lighter body. The internal volume, thickness and weight have been trimmed to approximately two-thirds of the original 60GB PS3. Sony said power consumption has also been cut to two-thirds, which helps reduce fan noise.

The PS3 Slim offers the same feature set as the current PS3s, including a Blu-ray player and the ability to download content from the PlayStation Network. The new PS3 Slim's hard drive has been boosted from 80GB to 120GB for more storage.

With more capacity, the same core features, and a lower price, Cai said Sony should be able to drive more PS3 sales after a poor showing so far this year. The timing of the price drop is strategic, he said. Announcing the new model and pricing now gives Sony time to build market awareness so pent-up demand will help drive sales during the holiday shopping season.

"A lot of the gamers, even if they were interested in playing some of the PlayStation 3 exclusive games, held off on purchasing a PS3 because of the price, especially if they already had an Xbox 360," Cai said. "Exclusive games alone didn't give them any motivation to buy a PS3 for $400. The price drop will definitely help."

The Competition's Response

Sony also introduced the minis, a new section of the PlayStation Store with a range of downloadable games for the PlayStation Portable. As Sony makes its moves, analysts are watching closely to see how rivals Nintendo and Microsoft respond.

"The price delta is a lot lower now than before. You are only looking at $299 for a PS3 versus $250 for a Wii, and the PS3 now has parity with the Xbox 360. And the PSP does have more features, including the Blu-ray and also the built-in wireless," Cai said. "Microsoft and Nintendo dropping price is a potential strategy. The question is when."

Jennifer Leclaire, newsfactor.com – Wed Aug 19, 4:22 pm ET

Last edited:
The PS3 price has been too high since launch (shortly before i bought one) and they'd be IN the Next Gen console race if they would have dropped it a year ago.

Too little too late if you ask me, and that's from a PS3 fan. :hop mad:

Same here. Had it not been a gift, I prolly would not have one. Don't get me wrong I like it a lot, but I have to admit that its main purpose at my house is as a media server. I stream my movies to it from the pc. With things the way they are right now, I have a hard time shelling out 60 bucks for game, no matter how much I want them. lol

That's an often used ploy Dee.

@Ferg, yeah i have a hard time with sixty bones a game too. Right now, i want INfamous and just can't spend the dough on it.

This price cut is long, long overdue IMO...and many others i'm sure.

Now if they could just drop the prices of some of the games...we'd be set.

That's an often used ploy Dee.

@Ferg, yeah i have a hard time with sixty bones a game too. Right now, i want INfamous and just can't spend the dough on it.

This price cut is long, long overdue IMO...and many others i'm sure.

Now if they could just drop the prices of some of the games...we'd be set.

Thank the Lord I'm not into games (the $$$ are a killer)

But then again, my dental implant stuff makes up for it and more.

^^agreed there bro^^

And it is a lot of money to wrap up in entertainment, but i've played games that took over 80 hours to complete. That justifies the price a little bit. I still think $60.00 is too much for a new game. Typically i get the game i want a year after it comes out and the price comes down.

Back