Replacement clutch now oil leak between engine snd clutch

seeniall

Replacement clutch now oil leak between engine and gearbox

Hi folks... I drive a '00 2.2 Camry. I got a replacement clutch put in about 2 weeks ago. I noticed an oil leak at the weekend, the mechanic has had a look at it and says it's leaking between the engine and the gearbox - the seal/gasket is gone.

My question is.... Should the mechanic have put a new seal/gasket in when he was replacing the clutch?

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks in anticipation

seeniall

Last edited:
Its imperative that when changing anything in a car that requires a gasket seal that the old seal is replaced,the area surrounding the parts that are going to be re applied back together also have to be thoroughly cleaned,it looks by reading your post that this didn't happen in your case,the mechanic may have also put the old gasket back on and also didn't apply gasket sealer.This leak is totally down to the mechanics fault if he didn't follow the correct procedures.So the onus is back on him,hope this helps :)

what is the leak,engine oil or tranny oil? very odd that either would leak just like that.re and reing the transaxle doesnt disturb either the rear main engine seal or the transmission input shaft seal.check very closely,however your axle seals.more of a possibility that one of them is leaking.Al.

I'm hoping this might make some better sense to you aldan, it is engine oil that is leaking

l. I've had the clutch replaced a couple of weeks ago. When I got the car back there was a smell coming from the engine, I assumed it was the new clutch bedding itself in. Then a couple of days ago I spotted some oil on the ground where I normally park the car. I brought the car back to the mechanic and he says the seal is gone between the gearbox and the engine. So my questions are as follows...
1. Should the mechanic have put a new seal in when he replaced the clutch?
2.Could he have damaged the old seal when putting everything back together?
3.Should I have to pay to get this repaired?

Incidently the smell I was getting was not the clutch but oil burning on the exhaust, this smell was worst after driving the car either on a long journey or driving the car fast or with a full load.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'm hoping this might make some better sense to you aldan, it is engine oil that is leaking

l. I've had the clutch replaced a couple of weeks ago. When I got the car back there was a smell coming from the engine, I assumed it was the new clutch bedding itself in. Then a couple of days ago I spotted some oil on the ground where I normally park the car. I brought the car back to the mechanic and he says the seal is gone between the gearbox and the engine. So my questions are as follows...
1. Should the mechanic have put a new seal in when he replaced the clutch?
2.Could he have damaged the old seal when putting everything back together?
3.Should I have to pay to get this repaired?

Incidently the smell I was getting was not the clutch but oil burning on the exhaust, this smell was worst after driving the car either on a long journey or driving the car fast or with a full load.

Cheers

seeniall

I have more or less answered your questions in my previous post.

1 . Yes he should have put a new seal in when he replaced the clutch.(Now the gearbox should be taken back off to replace the seal)

2 . Regardless of damaging it he should have replaced the seal in the first instance (Hence you wouldn't be having this problem)

3 . No you shouldn't have to pay to get this done.(As i previously said the onus is back on him,lets put it this way if you got a carpenter to fit a door and the door wouldn't close properly,whos fault is it well it certainly isnt yours)

Post back and let us know how you get on :)

The one thing moh is forgetting is not all cars are the same. some cars may or maynot need seals replaced when the clutch is being serviced.
i would check to see if the procedure calls for seal replacement.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

if its engine oil thats leaking that would be a rear main seal and that most likely is not a common thing to change. that may require the engine to come apart.

the procedure doesnt call for rear main seal replacement,but,it is part of the job to inspect said seal for leaks and if so to advise replacement.its odd that it just started leaking after clutch replacement tho.

it would be odd it only happened after clutch was done,for proper inspection flywheel needs removing.possible signs would be oil signs around belhousing of gearbox,if oil leak was bad customer would be informed first.

think about it if the tech saw a bad seal it would be in his best intrest to make more moneyand replace the seal. i personaly would not want to do a job twice.

hey catkid,if its a proper clutch job the flywheel would have come of to be resurfaced.pretty hard to miss a leaking seal then eh?

Back