Republic Of Ireland V France 14/11/09 Team Announced

No regrets for Ireland

stephenirelandjan09ap.jpg

Stephen Ireland has revealed he never enjoyed playing for the Republic of Ireland and is adamant he will feel no sense of regret should they qualify for the World Cup without him.

Giovanni Trapattoni’s side take on France in the first leg of a World Cup qualifying play-off at Croke Park tomorrow but they will do so without Manchester City midfielder Ireland.

He has not played for his country for two years since lying about the death of two grandmothers in order to return home from international duty to be with his girlfriend, who had suffered a miscarriage.

“I never enjoyed my time playing for Ireland,” Ireland told the Daily Mail.

“I will watch the game but I don’t feel guilty ever. No manager would sway my decision now.

“Even if they get to the World Cup, there’s not a part of me that will think ’that could have been me’.

“They haven’t tried properly to get me back. It’s just lip service. Trapattoni rang me during the summer but it was more about him covering his back and having a press conference where he could say: ’I’ve made the effort, I’ve spoken to Stephen, blah-blah’.” :mad: :bang head:

Better off without this guy!
when he hangs up his boots he will regret how petty and immature he was in his earlier years.
very easy to say you have no regrets in your prime, but when that clock starts ticking and you start looking back.........

hasn`t got the balls to admit that he was caught out in a stupid childish lie, did he not realise that with him being a top pro in England his claims of grandmother deaths would not be checked out?
seems to me that he is still acting childishly - sticking his bottom lip out and saying that Trappatoni only paid him lip service.This man has managed the best players that have ever graced a football field, and this young upstart wants to lay down the law on how he is approached? - We Don`t need favours Stephen Ireland! - all we want is a team of players who are proud to wear the Irish jersey and represent every want to be irish footballer,paying their hard earned money standing in the home and away crowds.
Roy Keane split the nation a few years ago and rightfully so, because he had laid it on the line in the past, this guy isn`t worth a ripple in the local newspapers, nevermind a section in a leading tabloid!

Stephen Ireland where do i start ,firstly he drives around in a jeep thats pink i dont know about any of you but that would not go down so well with my mates or I ,secondly he got caught out and was embarrassed and WOULD not admit he was wrong and when he got stick from the proud irish lads he couldnt take it he took his ball and went home (to city)well stephen STAY there and DONT come back

Back