Restoring my image on a second box??

kevwade63

Hi Guys

This is my first post so go easy on me.

I bought a Zgemma h.2S and set it up with openvix. I have manged to install a sky skin, picons, cline etc..

All working well and looking great, in fact I am so happy with it I have purchased a second box for the bedroom. What I am having trouble with is installing my image on the second box. I have created a backup image and tried to reflash the box but nothing changes.

Initially I changed from OpenATV to Vix by flashing the box so I know the USB stick is ok. FAt32 formatted. Now when I try to reflash the box goes into Flash mode but the basic openvix menu appears and not my Sky image.

On my usb is the following:

Zgemma>sh1> Kernel.bin - rootfs.bin - splash.bin - force - imageversion

Any help would be much appreciated. I have been searching the forums for hours.

Cheers guys

make sure the usb is formatted to fat32 best to use hddguru google for it m8 ,turn the box off at the back have usb in back off the box power on box and flash away mate

why dont you try woosh's openatv build as an alternative. Everything is already setup for you on that. Have one vix one openatv.

Is it saying FLSH on the front display?

---------- Post Merged at 04:49 PM ----------

make sure the usb is formatted to fat32 best to use hddguru google for it m8 ,turn the box off at the back have usb in back off the box power on box and flash away mate

And press the power button when USB appears on the display. ;)

Cheers for the advice.

I currently format the USB to FAT32 by right clicking properties. I have succesfully flashed openvix and an image by sucmnsee so I assume my usb is ok.

When I flash the box it does go through the motions, says FLSH on the front of the box.

Is it still worth formatting with hddguru?

I will try the Woosh image, although I would rather both boxes were identical so the kids don't get confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks systemlord the folder is actually "zgemma>sh1"

The box does flash as in FLSH appears within a few seconds of power up.

When I unzip my backup I only have two files in sh1 kernel.bin and rootfs.bin. To this folder I have added force and splash.bin from an alternate image. Is this the correct procedure?

That is what I have been attempting to do.

So I go into vix>image manager>new backup

Download that to my stick and unzip on my pc. I now have a folder zgemma>sh1 with two files in
kernal.bin + rootfs.bin

Then what?

Try downloading the same build from zgemma tv website once you have downloaded the folder named zgemma delete the root and kernel files leaving the other three and replace with the ones from your back up, place that folder on your usb and flash, this is how I've transferred my image on to a few friends boxes so I know it works.

Last edited:
It defiantly works that way, have you tried re-formatting your usb and trying again with the folder in place? The only other thing I can suggest is deleting your back up and doing a fresh one, your back up might be corrupt. Are both boxes star 2s's?

Your method does make perfect sense.

Yes. Fresh backup formatted usb. Is there a file size limit?

I will retry again with fresh files.

Success

Turned out my rootfs was too large. Deleted some plugins and picons and it flashed perfectly.

I got the total file size down from 130mb to 100mb. I read somewhere 120mb is the limit.

Kevwade63.
i am about to do exactly what you have done.
reading all the above, what actually did you have to do in the end.
did you just remove some plugins and make a new back up? Or did you download the file from zgemma unzip it and replace files?
judt curious to save myself a similar headache.
thanks in advance

Pompeytel

In short this is what I did. Let me know of you want me to expand on anything.

1. Format your usb to FAT32

2. Create two folders on your desktop "originalimage" and "myimage"

3. Go to zgemma.tv and download the appropriate image for your setup. Copy the folder zgemma to a folder on your desktop "originalimage". Unzip and have only a folder "zgemma" visible. This will have a sub folder sh1 (from memory)

4. Save your image in openvix (blue button) you should now have a zip file on your usb. Copying this to your desktop into the folder "myimage"

5. Ensure the file "zgemma" is under 120mb. If not delete some plugins and picons and keep retrying.

6. Now copy the folder "zgemma" from "myimage" into the folder "originalimage" and make sure you select overwrite existing files for all.

7. The folder "zgemma" inside the folder "originalimage" should now be your backup. Simply copy this to your FAT32 usb and flash the box.

Last edited:
Hi Kev, thanks for making this thread. I'm currently in the process of doing the same as you - making an identical box for the bedroom. The problem i have at the moment is when i go into Vix>imagemanager>backup (on original box) it keeps stopping on 18%. Does anyone have any ideas why this could be?

Cheers

Back