SF4008 Available RAM in Openvix

Magic, ta. Might gamble with an eBay cheapo to start with - will have to do some research into what drivers are built for the Vix kernel and what not.

Great stuff. Only specific thing I want it for is to get a local radio station so that I can stream it to my phone and squeezeboxes, so a budget option is a winner.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

There's new drivers out today.
I wonder if #5 means that memory information has been reported by the system incorrectly?

upload_2017-9-13_21-9-34.png

Although it might be that they've just hacked it. Would probably need to see a screenshot of top running or the output of ps to be able to see what the memory usage is like...

It's not something I've ever looked at before.
It runs great and never had a bit of trouble with it so never felt the need to.

Mine will be here tomorrow so I'll be able to look for myself. Hopefully my OCD will be put to rest with the new driver in, but as you say if you are satisfied with the performance then no real need to go poking.

The bit that makes me paranoid is my H2S was pretty snappy until I loaded a big channel list on and hooked up my rotor. That's when it seemed to slow down, which I assumed was memory related rather than CPU. But I'll see it all for myself soon on the SF4008 enough [emoji5]️

5.kernel patch for memory info on OSD to be shown 1GB as follows.

# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 1048576 kB
MemFree: 262880 kB
MemAvailable: 275736 kB

I was going to post yesterday as I saw there was a kernel update released. I don't think they would try and stiff customers in that way on the memory. I just view it a bit like a bios update on a pc that reports the incorrect memory size.

So they have indeed just patched the memory reporting rather than enabled more ram. People on the Octagon site aren't happy...

I suspect what's actually happened is some of the RAM is allocated to the GPU, similar to how you configure a raspberry pi. My box seems to perform OK, but I'll probably get a usb3 pendrive for swap or something too.

Looks like there have been a number of driver updates recently which have added new bugs. Waiting on a new build of Vix to get the one with bug fixes in, although I'm contemplating switching back to ATV.

even with a slight memory difference, I haven't noticed any problems, mega quick fast box. I believe the box has its own type of memory clean up auto, which should take care of any issues. older boxes require something like cache flush to be used.

Had two Vix crashes in the last 24 hours, full debug screen being displayed. Latest version. Be in trouble with the boss if it happens whilr she's watching!

Binned off Vix in favour of OpenATV last night. Now I'm just waiting on Octagon to fix a few more driver issues, but so far I'm impressed with the box. More tinkering tonight!

Back