sh or bash & login issues

Dazzling

Hi all,
so I changed my default shell from sh to bash on my Vu+ duo 2 yesterday (chsh /bin/bash) and not 100% sure if this is what caused me to get locked out of my box altogether a short time later... I just kept getting "Permission denied (publickey, passwd)"... although I was still able to use ftp to interrogate files etc. I tried changing the password via Settings/network/password menu but this had no effect (ftp session had to be reset each time, but interactive login still failed.)

- after 4 or 5 hours of researching to no avail, I bit the bullet and upgraded to the latest OpenVix (i was about three builds behind.) I said no to "restore settings" and got back in. I then reflashed a second time and did the restore settings from an older backup and managed to get back in.

Two questions:
1. Has anyone else happened upon this login problem and could it have been caused by me changing the default shell to bash for my root login?

2. Is it safe to change the default shell to bash? I'm a bit hesitant to do it again in case I lock myself out again.

thanks.

New images on box you need to setup a password on box now via remote and write it down as people forget.

If using something like FileZilla you now have to fill in the box with your password that you saved on box.

New images on box you need to setup a password on box now via remote and write it down as people forget.

If using something like FileZilla you now have to fill in the box with your password that you saved on box.
I've always had a password, hadn't changed it and hadn't upgraded the box - but got locked out... please reread my original post.

I've always had a password, hadn't changed it and hadn't upgraded the box - but got locked out... please reread my original post.
Once you change the image you have to set a new password.
Mine changes on it's own without any intervention from me.
Set it to 0000 or 1234 or similar.

I can change to bash shell using the following command and still login okay

Bash:
chsh -s `which bash`

Bash:
Welcome to OpenViX for osmio4kplus
openvix 6.0 osmio4kplus

osmio4kplus login: root
Password:
Last login: Sun Mar 13 22:20:36 GMT 2022 on pts/1
root@osmio4kplus:~# echo "$SHELL"
/bin/bash
root@osmio4kplus:~#

You changed the shell.
The error message is saying password is wrong.
Reset the password
why does changing the shell make the password wrong? I didn't change the password.

To be clear, I was logged in via ssh on Mackbook Terminal and typed "chsh /bin/bash" - and carried on doing a few other things... I then at some point closed the terminal window. I later tried to login again and couldn't.
As part of troubleshooting, I opened Viper Lite (ftp programme) to see if it worked - it did without a problem and I could list and view files (and this was using the same password I've always used to login via Terminal)

I then tried changing the password via the remote control using the menu "settings/network/password" - my ftp programme asked for a password which I entered and it was again accessible - so the password definitely changed when I reset it but trying to ssh to the box still gave the same error.

So - ssh was permanently broken. ftp access was fine (using original password and then using the password I changed it to.)

At this point, I gave up and re-imaged. Now everything works as expected.

I can change to bash shell using the following command and still login okay

Bash:
chsh -s `which bash`

Bash:
Welcome to OpenViX for osmio4kplus
openvix 6.0 osmio4kplus

osmio4kplus login: root
Password:
Last login: Sun Mar 13 22:20:36 GMT 2022 on pts/1
root@osmio4kplus:~# echo "$SHELL"
/bin/bash
root@osmio4kplus:~#
thanks - I'm not sure if it was changing the default login shell that caused the box to stop allowing me to login... but I'm afraid to try again as it took me a day to recover it all back to how it was before...

what shell do you normally use?

I just stick to sh but changed it just to test it for you.

chsh -s `which bash` changed it to bash and chsh -s `which sh` changed it back again.
I could still login okay using putty.

Maybe just one of those things :unsure:

I just stick to sh but changed it just to test it for you.

chsh -s `which bash` changed it to bash and chsh -s `which sh` changed it back again.
I could still login okay using putty.

Maybe just one of those things :unsure:
I'll put it down to experience... :)

I had not used putty in a long while, but I recently tried to access my box using it, but after I log in using root, it asks me for my boxes password, but it does not let me type it in when I try, then access denied comes up on the screen, has something changed with putty that I am unaware of?

Tried that, but planning to go back to it later, its mainly to flash open vix onto partition 2 on my box, no great urgency.

Go to the password page in network settings and then enter a new password with the remote.
You should then be able to login with root and your new password with putty or telnet.

As Abu said there is no visual feedback on the putty screen when you enter a password.
Just put the password in when asked and press enter.

I see what you meant Willo, putty does not show the password, got logged in and it started to run the command, but didnt get far, got code 404 not found
wget: missing url came up.

works for me :unsure:

Bash:
wget --no-check-certificate -O install_vix.sh http://www.willobuild.net/files/Scripts/install_vix.sh && bash install_vix.sh

Back