Skiing Holidays ?

bees

VIP Member
So as the title suggests,

Anybody been on a Skiing / Snowboarding holiday.

Any advice would be great. I don't know anyone who has been before so don't
really know where to start.

This is more than likely just a one off so I don't want to buy any kit and will be looking to hire
what I need for a week for me and the kids.

So here is a few questions from a complete noob to get started, any pointers would be great.

Should I look at Skiing or Snowboarding ?
Is it worth doing a few days on an artificial slope over here before going on holiday ?
Roughly how much is it to hire kit ?
What's the scoop with lift passes ? Do I just pay for a pass or are there other fees ?
Chalet or Hotel ?
Which country ? don't want mega expensive, France ? Austria ? Another ?

Any advise would be appreciated :(y)::(y)::(y):

cheers

bees

Yea I normal go every year
Didn't get last year, other half fancied berlin

Should I look at Skiing or Snowboarding ?

Skiing you will get moving, snowboard you will be on your arse more than moving, the first year is always a waste, you done get far

Is it worth doing a few days on an artificial slope over here before going on holiday ?
Don't go to the moving ramp, to hard and it not like the real thing, you can stop
Fakes slopes will get you moving quicker, you will have the basics

Roughly how much is it to hire kit ?
Depends where you go, a cheap resort will cheaper, than a fancy place
I have hired full kit for around 100 euros for 10 days, I don't need fancy stuff

What's the scoop with lift passes ?
Yea you need a pass for the lifts and for all of them, most please are pay for so many days, your talking over 200euros for a week per person, give or take, or some places do, a pass that will have power not on it, buy 100 point, this lift cost 20points this one cost 12points

Do I just pay for a pass or are there other fees ?
Most places make you pay for the card too, 5 euros odd

Chalet or Hotel ?
I airb&b it, but I go to the same town, so I know the place

Which country ? don't want mega expensive, France ? Austria ? Another ?
What your budget

I have done France and Italy
Morose in France is 1.50 from a airport, pretty low and cheap enough
Livigno in Italy, is 6 odd airs from airport, very hire and cheap

Then you have expenise

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to girdwood alaska in 2005 all i can remember was wishing i hadnt gone on the intermediate slope because the snow was so compact it was like falling on shiny marble stone and had so many bruises but was one of the best holidays i have ever had but i think that was due to the location, would recommend it in a shot , not cheap by a long way if you choose the full adventurer package like we had which included a days skiing/boarding a days rifle hunting a days fishing and a day whale watching and finally a day gold panning :(y):

Thanks for the info.

We have Chill Factore in Manchester which isn't too far, it's an artificial slope, not a dry one,
so was thinking about going there a few times.

Only going for a week so probably a 3 hr ish flight is far enough.

Sorry to sound dumb but you said you paid for a car ? what is that for.

Thinking of going self catering as I don't like to be tied to one place.

Yeah get some time on slope sure helps with balance etc and give you a good idea of speed and changing direction which i struggled with hence all the damn bruises lol ;)

Myself and the partner fell in love with a place in canada called Banff, up until about 13 years ago we went 3 years on the trot and the 1st year I went snowboarding with the snowboard school and then we went onto skiing. Ski school was always fun and it really used to be cheap. We use to pay around £400.00 10 nights with flights, accomodation and ski school and lift passes and ski hire. I can tell you boy how things have changed. I went back this year with my now 13 year old and went over the christmas period from boxing day through to the 2nd of jan. Flights £680.00 each via manchester to amsterdam and then the Calgary. Accomadation around £1400 for the week in a huge suite, Ski school and lift tickets around another £1000.00. The town was packed over the christmas period and so was the slopes. Beer prices anywhere from 6 dollars a bottle to 12 dollars and food is quite expensive. But and its a big but I would give anything to do it again this year...

Attachments

• IMG_20161227_101853.jpg
    IMG_20161227_101853.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20161228_103027.jpg
    IMG_20161228_103027.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 18
Thanks for the info.

We have Chill Factore in Manchester which isn't too far, it's an artificial slope, not a dry one,
so was thinking about going there a few times.

Only going for a week so probably a 3 hr ish flight is far enough.

Sorry to sound dumb but you said you paid for a car ? what is that for.

Thinking of going self catering as I don't like to be tied to one place.

Meant card sorry

Most now it's like your contactless card, you keep it in your pocket and when you go up to the gates of a lift they open

In canada you attached your lift ticket to your coat then then scan you through with little bar code scanners.

That's old school lol
I remember first time skiing in France with school, in early 2000s was like that

Just hope it doesn't snow when you are there
Hard as hell to ski in

One year in Livingo we had well over a foot of snow in one night
Town all clear and ready for go for 7am, no one stopped

It snowed like hell over christmas when we where in canada, our first day of ski lesson with the youngan and it dropped over 25cm on snow on us in the 5 hours we where up in the mountains. The temperature dropped a little on our last day see the photo below.

Attachments

• IMG_20161227_105654.jpg
    IMG_20161227_105654.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20161231_223042.jpg
    IMG_20161231_223042.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20170102_112435.jpg
    IMG_20170102_112435.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 22
Oh that's cold.
I remember Livingo getting -15 that was cold enough

Ah I miss it. Think we are going to go Jan 2019. Unless some Bargin comes up. But can't see it
As we DIY it

We cannot go this christmas as we are heading of the new zealand at easter but maybe christmas 2018. I spoke to a few people whilst there and people where saying the andorra is cheap. I always fancied aspen though since watching dumb and dumber. The coldest ive been in in canada was -29 and even my scarf froze in the gondola on the way up to the ski zone. The week before I went this year is was -40 but is was around -5 to -10 most the time when we where there.

Back