Sky UK with recording facility?

Heya

The sole reason why my mum appears to be paying for Sky instead of streaming from say a firestick app or even Sky Glass, is because she wants the ability to record and that's like £30/month or so

Just wondering if there's anything out there that would allow you to also record? Even if that means recording to a NAS instead of a local hard drive?

Thanks

Heya

The sole reason why my mum appears to be paying for Sky instead of streaming from say a firestick app or even Sky Glass, is because she wants the ability to record and that's like £30/month or so

Just wondering if there's anything out there that would allow you to also record? Even if that means recording to a NAS instead of a local hard drive?

Thanks
Get a android tv box and a SD 64GB card and save all of your Recording on the SD card Or 32gb usb.

64gb will only get you about 60 hours recording(more or less depending on quality) . I bet the mum will likely want more than that...

Is say get 256gb microsd if box supports microsd. Other thing would be to get enigma 2 box. But these more flakey with iptv...

Some IPTV has catch up tv, all depends why you want to record. If it's just to watch something you missed ,then catch up is fine.
I always use Enigma 2 as they run IPTV no problem if you get a decent box with internal Hdd and they operate just like sky. All depends what you want. If you want something simple to set up go for Android.

Last edited:
There is this box Humax HDR1100S 500GB Freesat and can be had at a good price on ebay. 30 a month is a lot. I set up an enigma 2 ox for the other half 7 years ago and at 30 a month = 360 x 7 = 2520 . box cost 230 and still goin strong.

The freesat is simple to operate, enigma 2 can be tricky.

There is this box Humax HDR1100S 500GB Freesat and can be had at a good price on ebay. 30 a month is a lot. I set up an enigma 2 ox for the other half 7 years ago and at 30 a month = 360 x 7 = 2520 . box cost 230 and still goin strong.

The freesat is simple to operate, enigma 2 can be tricky.

If he wants Sky he will need IPTV,Humax is just Freesat.

What package does she have with sky would be a good start and what channels does she record.
There is nothing left on 28.2e from the card sharing days also depends on budget on what you want to spend on a box then members can guide you better on best available options for your mum

What package does she have with sky would be a good start and what channels does she record.
There is nothing left on 28.2e from the card sharing days also depends on budget on what you want to spend on a box then members can guide you better on best available options for your mum
Well, she mostly watches Indian TV channels and I think it's mostly just so that she can watch them on "her time" instead of like 9am or late at night

Tbh the cost to Sky is like £30/month atm anyway, so any alternative that feels and looks like Sky and is reliable is always good. It's annoying because we're basically only paying for Sky just to record

I say we, I mean me. I don't live there - I just pay the bills. I don't even watch regular TV

Last edited:
Are those indian channels on subscription or Free?
Subscription unfortunately. If it was free, it'd be easy to get freesat and get some kind of box with a hard drive built in

Also tbh I don't care how technical an IPTV box "has to be" if it means that my mum doesn't have to see the ins and outs. I work in networks in my day job, so I could do a fair chunk of linux-y stuff if needs be. That's preferable than paying £30/month realistically just for the ability to record.

I think my mum wants to record because some stuff comes on at 9am UK time, and she's not up then or it comes on super late and it's the same then too

Subscription unfortunately. If it was free, it'd be easy to get freesat and get some kind of box with a hard drive built in

Also tbh I don't care how technical an IPTV box "has to be" if it means that my mum doesn't have to see the ins and outs. I work in networks in my day job, so I could do a fair chunk of linux-y stuff if needs be. That's preferable than paying £30/month realistically just for the ability to record.

I think my mum wants to record because some stuff comes on at 9am UK time, and she's not up then or it comes on super late and it's the same then too
recording IPTV can be hit and miss and she may need a 'multi room' sub to allow 2 connections to the server at the same time, it can be done but if there is a break in the connection then the recording may stop. IPTV generally has catchup but it may depend if the provider chosen has catchup for the indian channels.

recording IPTV can be hit and miss and she may need a 'multi room' sub to allow 2 connections to the server at the same time, it can be done but if there is a break in the connection then the recording may stop. IPTV generally has catchup but it may depend if the provider chosen has catchup for the indian channels.
Thanks. In that case, do you know what provider may well have "catchup" for said channels? And what box I may require? Equally if there's "catchup", could I use a firestick?

No way would I recommend you set your mum up IPTV for recording. It's far too unreliable. One short pause/stop on the stream and the recording will finish. Is catch up available on the indian channels ?

No way would I recommend you set your mum up IPTV for recording. It's far too unreliable. One short pause/stop on the stream and the recording will finish. Is catch up available on the indian channels ?
No idea if it's available but I could ask in that above thread. Is there a specific box I should buy? Or perhaps it's just a firestick app?

Back