Slow data transfer...

ste

TK Veteran
Hi all! ... hope you've had a good Christmas and have enjoyed spending time with your families.

I got a new computer for Christmas (components to build one) ... all up and running but i've noticed a couple of things that i'm struggling to fix.

Before I go into the issues, this is the spec;

Ryzen 7 2700x 3.7GHz 8 core / 16 threads
MSI Gaming Plus MAX B450 Motherboard
64GB Patriot Viper RAM
WD Blue M.2 storage drive
750w PSU
Windows 10 Pro OS

All drivers installed and up to date.

First issue i've noticed is the recycle bin can take quite a while to empty ... if there's a few gb's of data in there, it can take minutes to empty.

Secondly, data transfer from the PC to my external seagate back up drive (USB 3.0) is very slow and is running as low as in the kb/s even using a program suggested to me called Teracopy.

I've spent pretty much the full day yesterday trying different settings etc. to help speed things up but i'm getting nowhere with it.

Please help!

Hi Ste, a shot in the dark really as I'm no expert, however i did build my pc some time back, but things have moved on so much since then, maybe a de-frag if it's possible on SSD? and could try using CC Cleaner, i do this regularly and pc runs ok, sometimes registry and cache can be an issue?
But not sure, i'm just trying to give you a bit of process of elimination,
Ref Recycle bin i found this if it helps -
and found this for data transfer from pc to external back up drive -
i hope you get things sorted pal, best regards

It's a brand new install so couldn't possibly need defragmenting at such an early stage.

I should of mentioned that the file transfer process begins very well and fluctuates at between 60-80 mb/s then after a minute, that's when it drops down to below 1mb/s and stays there.

I have tried probably the majority of the 'solutions' on the first 5 pages of Google search results, too :(

CPU / Memory load etc. is extremely low. I've heard that the data transfer speeds via Windows 10 are poor anyway so i'm gonna install 7 on it and see how that fares. I've been using 7 for years on the old machine and it's never failed me but as Windows 7 is getting old now and not supported by Windows anymore, I thought i'd go for 10 but seems that was a mistake :(

as above, I'm far from an expert,
but is your PSU powerful enough.?
my son's PC is waay much lower spec than that, and when I upgraded his graphics card I was recommended to upgrade the PSU from a 350W to a 500W minimum, its actually got a 780W in it as I got it on offer at the time,
his specs are something like 8G RAM, intel i5 (maybe even i3) , and 1TB normal HDD, and the GFX aren't that powerful, I think it cost aboiut £40 or £50.

I found out antivirus can slow things down even when reading folder content and transfering files so I make exceptions as to which folders are scanned.

PSU is 750w which is plenty for the hardware.
Virus protection has been disabled and no change.
BIOS updated and no change.
Optimised drive for performance and no change.
Tried on USB 2.0, 3.0 and 3.1 and no change.
Tried in safe mode and no change.
All drivers updated from the motherboard / manufacturer websites so they're all latest.

I can't think of much else to try. I know the drives are capable of much faster transfer speeds. I can watch the progress and it will jump up to around 300 at times then drop right down to under 1mb/s. It's very frustrating. I am contemplating putting Windows 7 on it to see how it performs with that.

Just tried copying a 5gb video file to my WD external drive on Windows 8.1 and it transferred at 65 - 70 Mb/s.

1609272834172.png

Have you thought about trying a Linux Live CD on a USB stick and seeing what the speeds are with that?

search for vids '5 things to do after a new Ryzen build' as there are a few settings you should do after a new Ryzen build.
You didn't provide the ram speed? your 2700X CPU is limited to 3200Mhz even though your motherboard may offer higher options within X.M.P. (causes stability/odd things to happen if set incorrectly).

What are you going to use it for? 64gb ram is excessive for the rest of the system
(16gb 2 x 8gb is ample for gaming as you wont see any noticeable improvement adding more, 32gb 2x16gb would be better suited to an editing/streaming rig & I cant thing of any reason to need 64gb with that CPU, I suspect your problem lies with the system settings/memory controller)

I would not put Win7 on it as there are too many vulnerabilities, gamers tend to use cut down variants of windows10 that basically has all the extra crud a gamer wouldn't need or use turned off

Last edited:
I will check the Ubuntu on the USB stick, thanks for suggestion.

The processor is 3700GHz and that's what the system / mobo / benchmark software says it's currently set up and running at although turbo boost is enabled and i've seen it running above 3.7

I use the computer mainly for internet browsing, music downloading and conversion etc. and yes, the amount of memory is overkill but on my previous build, I had an i5 processor and 16gb ram and that struggled. I regularly have over 50 internet tabs running and 20-30 apps at the same time.

The RAM is DDR4 3600Mhz although mobo is currently setting it to 2667Mhz according to benchmark software.

The CPU may run up to 3.7ghz but that isnt what I was leaning towards, the RAM itself you have said is 3600mhz but your chip can only handle up to 3200mhz, (I know this as I built a few with this chip & hit the ram clock speed issue myself before I noticed the limits of the CPU).
settings for X.M.P/D.O.C.P should be 3200 memory speed with FCLK at 1600mhz

With each of the last few things i've tried, admittedly, i'm seeing the speeds increase but i've now noticed the transfer 'halts' completely for up to 20 seconds a few times during the process then resumes.

Oh, i've now also changed the xmp profile so the memory runs at 3200mhz with fclk 1600mhz.

IF I were you I'd watch a couple of the 'things to do after a Ryzen build' vids then download Ryzen Master, install & have a play with it, then download benchmarking/monitoring software & run a few stability tests, once you know your system is stable then I'd start to look at why transferring data is being slowed

Your win7 box can still be upgraded for free if you want to experiment with it, also have you tried the obvious? New usb cable. Also try disabling recycle bin, first thing l do after reinstalling.

I've already tried all the '5 things' mentioned on the video plus dozens more besides.

I've got a few of the usb cables and it's the same with them all. I have to say though, I don't like the usb type in the externals these days - they seem very insecure, a bit like the micro-b type.

I put Ubuntu live desktop on a USB stick and on booting and choosing the usb boot option, there's many choices for Ubuntu but the 'try without installing' option isn't present. I don't know if it's something that have taken off the latest version or what but it isn't there.

Why is nothing ever simple in life?

Back