slow download speed help/ideas

ianhaney

Hi

I am with good old Sky for my broadband but I am getting only 1.8mbps at the best and am using tp-link powerline adapters think it's the av1000 ones and was hoping they would improve the signal or speed but is still really bad and the picture freezes or is jumpy

I have a MAG254 box

has anyone got any ideas I can try or any ideas, Sky said fibre is not available as we are in a new build but we have been here for two years now

I was thinking of getting a mobile broadband router with 3 but it will have 40GB of data on it, will that be enough for IPTV or will the data get used up pretty quick?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
is that 1.8mbps measured at the router?
Have you contacted your isp to see if they can do anything to improve your speed.

sorry that speed is measured upstairs connected wireless but did a speedtest downstairs that is connected directly to the router and it is 2.3mbps

I have contacted my isp and they said is nothing they can do, they said we are getting 4mbps but told them am not getting 4 but only get told that can't get any better and even a engineer can't make it better

@ianhaney

I think your only option would be to get a 4g mobile broadband router as you said as internet in your area is too slow for iptv.

Even if you were getting 4mbs like sky claim it should be it would still be too slow for iptv too run smoothly.

Dont know exactly how much GB i use a month watching IPTV but i think it would be more than 40GB!

Is there no unlimited data plans with mobile broadband? That would be the best option!

To give you an idea I get through approx 200gb a month of data. It has been as high as 400gb.

That's IPTV, general Internet use and my children's addiction to youtube and online games.

Try and find an unlimited sim. I think 3 did one at some point.

Blimey is a lot isn't it, is the same this end as well with the general internet use and my youngest on youtube and online games, she comes in from school and straight on the computer putting a song on youtube and playing minecraft

I am on live chat with three now asking if they do a unlimited data sim

They just said 40gb is the maximum they do on the broadband packages

will have a look on Google and see if any other network does unlimited data but are prob roughly all around the same

I am with TalkTalk. I have their fibre (BT end lines are copper) and I get 30 Mbytes. With TalkTalk I get unlimited downloads.
This with unlimited phone calls costs me £32 a month.

Unfortunately I can't get fibre as we are in a new build and we have been told by sky that the lines have not been laid yet by BT for fibre

If your getting less than your average speeds for your area you can leave you contract with no fees go on to sky's website. All providers have to go by this now.

Do you have a smart tv?
I have the same issue only slightly better speeds with 2.25mbs.
Iptv is pointless on my zgemma box but when run through a samsung smart tv it works almost spot on, even during the footy.

Back