so my sons a first year student on a car mechanic course ....

halfords advanced socket sets and spanners are a perfect starter kit as the have lifetime warranty so break anything they replace it and most of the sets come with near most tools he will need ive 3 sets at my work a 200,175 and 150 piece

When i started there were no sets and bought as you needed stuff , now roll cabs can come complete with tools.
I liked my toolbox to have music playing and had a car radio ,aerial and speakers and a battery to charge to keep radio playing.
4 lever cantilever to a 6 cantilever and there to Hazet lift tray and added 2 more trays and extensions to give me space.
There are always people upgrading toolboxes and old ones going cheap.
Moving and transporting around or stuck in one place and on wheels saves your back.

I can agree wait until you know what your working on and if using ring spanners never pull it towards you as self smacking comes to mind.
When you fill an engine up with oil its NOT to the brim but a set amount of CORRECT oil for that car.
Latex or non latex to keep hands cleaner and warmer is handy.

Ive got more tool's than you can shake a stick at but its a collection over many years.
If your struggling for money you wouldn't believe the bargains you can pick up at car boot sales etc.
Everyone has to start somewhere and its about the cheapest option other than already mentioned Halford's basic mechanic kits and do go on offer from time to time.
Its a great trade to get into and technology is changing fast with hybrid electric car's etc.
Some days to him may seem boring just learning the basic's of mechanical parts on car's etc.
I'm a Injection mould tool setter / robotic' s engineer by trade and also a part owner in a Garage so have always had access to a very wide Range of tools.
Tell him to stick with it and the rewards will come later . 👍👍👍

Back