Sonos Arc - DTS not supported

thebesh

TK Supporter
I've got an LG OLED connected to Sonos Arc soundbar. When I purchased the soundbar I did not realise that there was no DTS audio support on the Arc, which is pretty annoying considering the "premium" market this soundbar is marketed towards.

I use Plex to play my media I have stored in digital format. Many of these files have DTS audio tracks. Plex is able to transcode this a lot of the time, however my partner is non-native English speaker and she likes to have subtitles on. When I enable subtitles on a movie, the Plex server really struggles to transcode the audio AND subtitles on the fly. Which makes it unwatchable, especially when it's 4K content.

Done a bit of research on this and I don't see a workaround when the files are digital. I just wondered if anyone else had come across this issue and what they did to resolve. I'm currently choosing 1080 content over 4k. The load on the Plex server is greatly reduced when video quality is 1080 if it needs to transcode audio and produce subtitles. Either that, or I make sure I get a file where the audio track is supported by my Sonos Arc natively.

I’d be using a different audio track as proper multichannel audio such as DTS is supposed to be played through multiple speakers not downmixed into stereo for TV’s, soundbars, etc.

I’d be using a different audio track as proper multichannel audio such as DTS is supposed to be played through multiple speakers not downmixed into stereo for TV’s, soundbars, etc.
I try to where possible. If I'm downloading torrents of movies I can often be stuck with DTS audio being the only option. I'll going to see if Sonos support DTS in the Arc 2, which is rumoured for June/July release. I will sell the Arc this year regardless, purely based on lack of DTS support.

I use Docker container for it. I run all of my home services as Docker containers (Unifi controller, Bit Torrent Client, Plex, Prometheus, Grafana, etc)
Love containers ❤️

Back