Speed Up Utorrent 1.8.3

ok, i think i have it done, i had to change my settings on vista first before logging into the router as if i did it the other way around my other ip was still viewing it and i couldnt log in with the new one

i had to change the port number in utorrent as i was getting a port conflict in the router settings when i stuck to my old one.
seemingly it is still saved on the router from the last time i tried to set it up but its nowhere to be found to delete it, i just used the same port number as byrnie instead :)

when i added the custom service to the routers port forwarding option and named it to utorrent it says service name already exits so i just renamed another custom service to "torrent" instead, i presume the name doesnt matter?

i got the dns settings from wireless router status, changed the ip to 192.168.1.5 on both computer and router. disabled the UPnP Port mapping, should i leave NAT PmP Port mapping on? I have NAT set to open in the router already.

testing at the moment and im very impressed! mind you it is a well seeded torrent im testing but beforehand the download speed would start off quiet slow, this one shot up to 1mb/s in under 2 mins and i havent had speeds like that before!

thanks a bunch lads!!!

edit: 726mb file in 5-6 mins, new record for me ;)

edit: im also using utorrent in conjunction with the ip filter (which is in the downloads section) some say it filters out ips that can slow downloads and also blocks known addresses from spying.

Edit: to change settings in vista click on start
type network and sharing center and enter
across from connection click view status
click on properties
click on IPv4 and select properties

Last edited:
testing at the moment and im very impressed! mind you it is a well seeded torrent im testing but beforehand the download speed would start off quiet slow, this one shot up to 1mb/s in under 2 mins and i havent had speeds like that before!

thanks a bunch lads!!!

edit: 726mb file in 5-6 mins, new record for me ;)

I'm delighted that you are seeing improvements, but I'm not surprised. Thebyrnie doctored mine way back & it's humming ever since :grin:

-

Axxxo Check out a programme called "Peerguardian".Its free to use and is pretty awesome at filtering out spying ip`s- at the moment mine is blocking out - 757904523 ip`s!
Yoy can also get custom lists from other downloaders........

Phoenix Labs PeerGuardian 2

Hope this helps mate....(y)

Knotaclu fair play on the peer guardian link this is bound to help the speeds and also reduce the chance of getting a nuked packet on the .rar torrents I'll be testing till the we hours no doubt

Lovely stuff axxxo glad to see its going good

The Net gear routers can have a mind of there own, i tend to log into the router with my laptop if changing setting on my pc and vice a versa

Maybe your router needs a firmware update if you log onto the router and go to Maintenance than router status it will tell you the firmware version there
Answer
The latest is 2.0.30

The port conflict was probably that utorrent had already forwarded the port using UPNP which meant it was already open but i find 65325 to work brilliant on Ntl (don't have a clue why)

Also your downstream on your modem is low, is the point on your wall going into a splitter with only about a meter of cable and then into modem with about the same length of cable if so your Ntl tap outside the house could be corroded and needs re-heading, this may be why you could not achieve the 20mb,

I should of asked if your were on Xp or Vista but I'd say you know your way around

i used peerguardian before but it doesnt work too hot on vista im afraid, not for me anyway. i always update the ip filter before i switch utorrent on anyhow and its easy to update as utorrent is being used too.

using a splitter which is exactly as you describe, i presume the connection your talking about outside is the one in the wall of the house, house is only here 3 years would the corrosion have an effect that fast?

ill take a look anyway, think i might have a spare one lying around ;)
although there are houses down the road unoccupied, shame to see those connections going to waste lol

Have A look at this Axxxo, its not fully tested but has passed all so far...

PeerGuardian 2 RC1 Test

This is not the final version of RC1. This is an initial testing release only. Things are broken. Please do not release any new build to download or news sites!

This build has been tested with the following Windows versions:

* Windows 98 SE
* Windows 2000
* Windows XP
* Windows XP x64 Edition
* Windows Server 2003
* Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
* Windows Vista
* Windows Vista x64 Edition
* Windows Server 2008 Beta

One installer fits all: pg2-rc1-test2.exe. Vista x64 users, please read the directions below.

Please report any bugs you find at our forums.
What's new

* Ability to completely disable logging.
* Update servers are now auto-allowed while updating.
* Driver has been updated for higher performance and stability.
* Windows Vista support:
o Full support for IPv4 and IPv6.
o Detects IPv4 users masquerading under Teredo and 6to4 IPv6 addresses.
o Connections do not need to time-out like they do in XP, which means faster browsing with ad blocking lists.
o UDP "connections" are detected, meaning only the first packet of a UDP protocol will be logged. This allows for much less CPU and disk usage in new P2P projects like Rodi and Freenet.
o Compatible with ALL firewalls.
* "pgfix" recovery application no longer needed.

Why Teredo blocking is important

All Windows Vista machines come with a service known as "Teredo" enabled by default. This enables you to access the IPv6 internet using IPv4. It also means that any IPv4 user can masquerade as being on IPv6 in attempt to evade IP blockers and firewalls.

PeerGuardian fully detects these types of IPv6 users and will check them against the regular blocklist.
Important note for Vista x64 users

New in Vista x64, Microsoft requires all drivers to have a special code signature, or they won't load. They call this a security feature, but we believe this is basically snake-oil: although code signatures let you verify where the driver came from, it does not protect at all against a malicious driver (such as a virus).

Unfortunately, the certificate to perform this signing costs from $300-$500 USD/year. Until Phoenix Labs is able to afford one, Vista x64 users will need to perform the following steps.

* Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click Command Prompt -> Run as administrator.
* Copy the following exactly (without quotes): "bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS". Right click on the title bar, go to Edit -> Paste. Make sure what was pasted is correct, then hit enter to execute the command.
* Reboot the machine
* Now the first time you load PeerGuardian you will see a message like the below. If you performed the above steps correctly, it is safe to ignore this. You can make sure by turning on Show Allowed under settings, and making sure an IP scrolls by when you visit a website.
http://phrosty.phoenixlabs.org/pg2-rc1/signalert.png
I suppose every little blocker helps.:)

I wonder if anyone can help me, I have read through this thread, but it doesn't make sense to me as i am a little slow on these things till i do them once. I am with enteehell dublin, I have the scientific atlanta modem EPC 2303, followed by a netgear WGR614 v9 wireless router. I need to open a port for utorrent to use and i cant do it based on these posts alone.
i have opened the scientific atlanta page, but it just gives me the tech details of the router, not any changeable info.
any help appreciated
thanks

I wonder if anyone can help me, I have read through this thread, but it doesn't make sense to me as i am a little slow on these things till i do them once. I am with enteehell dublin, I have the scientific atlanta modem EPC 2303, followed by a netgear WGR614 v9 wireless router. I need to open a port for utorrent to use and i cant do it based on these posts alone.
i have opened the scientific atlanta page, but it just gives me the tech details of the router, not any changeable info.
any help appreciated
thanks

You need to open the port on the Netgear wheelo. You can connect it directly to the PC temporarily just to open the port.

I think the username & passwords are printed on the label on the bottom of the Netgear Router.

I think it's

Username: = admin

Password: = password

Have a read of byrnie's post HERE

-

do you mean by ethernet cable directly, not by wireless? then this will open up some sort of new page for me to tinker with?
thanks G

do you mean by ethernet cable directly, not by wireless? then this will open up some sort of new page for me to tinker with?
thanks G

Yes, connect it directly via Ethernet & open the CMD box

START

RUN

CMD then click OK

Type ipconfig (enter)

The Default Gateway number is the address to the Netgear Admin page.

It will probably be something like 192.168.1.1

Just enter that into your Browser address bar & it will open the page for you to play with (y)

-

Last edited:
it is a bit late for me to move furniture and stuff, but if you wouldnt mind keeping an eye on this thread, cos i hope to be able to do it tomorrow, and may need your help then.
thanks for your help

it is a bit late for me to move furniture and stuff, but if you wouldnt mind keeping an eye on this thread, cos i hope to be able to do it tomorrow, and may need your help then.
thanks for your help

No worries wheelo,

Take your time & do it when the mood is right (y)

You'll get all the help you need with that for sure.

I'm sure Byrnie will drop in when he sees you posting.

-

Hi Wheelo

If you type in your web browser address bar 192.168.1.1 and press enter do you get a username and password box if so it will be admin, password

Then you should see

netgear.jpg

Click on the highlighted port forwarding then you should see

netgear1m.jpg

Click add custom service then you will see

netgear2.jpg

Fill in the appropriate information

Service I presume utorrent

Port number I suggest 65325 but try whatever you like

Then the IP address of your computer then click apply

Then to confirm that the port has been forwarded you will see this

netgear3.jpg

Then set the port number in utorrent go to options preferences

utorrentxm.jpg

Give that a go and see how to get on if you have any questions just give a shout

byrnie, you are a genius, explained in language that even I understood, thanks.

Gman, you were right about the byrnie, thanks(y)

Top Notch Byrnie.........My Hat is off to you...
Quick Q for ya, I seem to see port 65325 popping up well more than is mathematically average on uploader/downloaders, and was just wondering why ?
Hope you can enlighten me as to any preference for this port number?

Wheelo much obliged no problem at all as the old saying goes a picture can mean a thousand words lol

Knot when I was first experimenting with utorrent I pressed random port a 100 times I know its a bit weird but I wanted to get an idea of the port ranges an ISP would throttle if they were researching torrents as most utorrent users will use the random port number it gives, I noticed that port range 65000 and over is never used so I researched a bit more and found that utorrent only uses 1100 to 65000 in its random port numbers, so it led me to a post on speeding up utorrent that said they found 65325 - 65330 the best ports to use it was an old post that was viewed a load of times and many other posts used the same info so I figured a lot of people starting spreading the word

That's my logic anyway there could be other perfectly acceptable reasons also which I would be glad to hear

i used peerguardian before but it doesnt work too hot on vista im afraid, not for me anyway. i always update the ip filter before i switch utorrent on anyhow and its easy to update as utorrent is being used too.

using a splitter which is exactly as you describe, i presume the connection your talking about outside is the one in the wall of the house, house is only here 3 years would the corrosion have an effect that fast?

ill take a look anyway, think i might have a spare one lying around ;)
although there are houses down the road unoccupied, shame to see those connections going to waste lol

Hey axxxo took me a while to get back to you on this one

The optimum receive level is between +10 to 12 yours is -1.4

There is an amp in the street in a man hole with ntl or upc on it depending on how new
In it is a amp with 12 connections in it to feed 12 houses/apartments

This is connected to the node its usually in what looks like a little green shed and that connects all the amps to the main line

A lot if the time the connection to your house in the man hole in the street needs re-heading but sometimes its the connection in the node that needs re-heading either of them would need ntl to fix it

If you sound anyway like you know what your talking about when you ring tech support they will put you through to 3rd level tech support and he will pass the info on to the infrastructural engineer and they should call you back in a day or two to say there sending someone out

So to find out what to say

Does any of houses close to you have ntl broadband if you could check there receive levels and if there similar to yours its the node and you could ring ntl with this information explain slow speeds and when you checked your receive level it is -1.4 and your neighbours is similar and they have slow speeds

But If your neighbours is optimum its probably better because you can ring ntl and say "there is a problem I have slow speeds and have a receive level of -1.4 but my neighbours have good speeds and receive level of 10 do the math send someone out" LOL something along thoose lines

Post back before you ring ntl as I have to integrate a few 20mb ntl lines into a student village's network next week and I can ask the Ntl Guys onsite

good to hear the torrents are still going strong

Last edited:
cheers Gman

no panic axxxo there probably be a bit of tooing and froing anyway before we get ya singing and dancing lol

192.168.100.1 is your modem which is locked down so can't change any setting there

figured out how to log into modem,
scientific atlanta cable modem
logged in through here
http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp
username= admin
password= W2402
i then went to access level 3 where i left the username blank and entered the same password as before, i can now see all the tabs, dont think anything is changeable though.

Back