Splitter Advice

Skim

Dear All

A few questions for you cable guys.

Going to split my signal just before the router - I want to be able to record one channel and watch another at the same time.

Do I need a 3 way splitter for this? (2feeds to the box)?

Also I have a Attenuateor just before the router, does this remain?

What is the best cable to use when splitting?

Does all channels transmit in HD still?

Whats the best image to use (currently use VIX on SLY)?

Going to go for a Zgemma H2 (is this OK)?

Thanks all in advance

SKIM

i thought the Zgemma Star H2 had
DVB-S2/DVB-T2/DVB-C Satellite & Terrestrial Combo Receiver
1 sat + 1 cable
you can still get hd on cable

Think this is the cheapest Dual cable box

HTML:
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Digital-HD-Receivers/Miraclebox-Linux-HD-Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Receivers/Miraclebox-Premium-Ultra-HD-2x-dvb-c-t-t2]Miraclebox Premium Ultra Triple Tuner HD Digital Receiver 2x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 - 1x Spare Tuner Slot

Yes, you will need a three way splitter, can't you get away with using a "combo" they are cheaper ?

Last edited:
HI, I will try to answer some of your questions

Leave the attenuator in place and see if you still need it, look at your power levels in the modem/router.
As for splitting to three feeds, it can depend what box you buy, I have just replaced my solo2 with an ET10000 with dual cable and dual sat tuners, I used a three way splitter to the cable tuners but they have a loop through and I tried looping the tuners with only one cable feed and it worked the same, so technically only one feed from VM for cable tuners using loop through, on my solo2 I used the different types of USB cable tuners, both needed a separate feed, but some boxes might not have the loop through.
What box to buy depends what you want to spend, the Venton Unibox Eco+ is a low priced cable twin tuner and will run VIX.

VM use triple shielded cable, you can buy a splitter kit from a well known auction site with correct splitter and cables.

Not ALL channels are HD.

If your used to VIX then stay with that until your comfortable swopping images

I have installed many H2's, but again they are one sat tuner and one cable tuner, looks like you want twin cable tuner??

u lose 8db on a 3 way splitter so what size is attenuator u would be better taking off i would asked a guy in van for two fly leads a splitter most will give u

Last edited:
Thanks All

---------- Post Merged at 09:10 PM ----------

u lose 8db on a 3 way splitter so what size is attenuator u would be better taking off i would asked a guy in van for two fly leads a splitter most will give u

Currently its a 10db

ahhh another user using the et10000 lol quick query from sat to cable takes 20 secs to change lol and from cable to sat 2 seconds,thats not right??

Mine don't, what cam you using, I'm using oscam, less than a second to switch, but mgcam takes a fraction more. I had terrible trouble with the EPG until I flashed it myself with the latest vix and set it up myself, kept crashing the box going from cable to sat, luckily it reboots very quickly.

Try the latest image, it has no version name, not hades but version number all my epg crashing cured and box runs sweet now. I just tried mgcam 1.38 and changed channels from vm to sky and back, to a little longer than oscam. Maybe 2 secs

I'm using 1.38 too, I've never noticed any lag between sat and cable. The picture is there when I change channel.

My newcamd.list file just has the two lines pasted in directly underneath each other, no other info in the file, so I assumed
they stay constantly connected to the server when the box is on and the cam is activated.

My EPG kept crashing the ET10000 running HADES 018 until I flashed the latest image, now as slick as my solo2.

Can I take a feed from the external brown box if there is a spare way in there?
If not can I replace the splitter in the brown box for a bigger splitter with more ways?

u can split anywhere but u wont have any isolator but seen boxes running for years with no isolators what size of splitter u need and how much cable

What does the isolator do ? Where is it I my current set up that feed from the brown box to an internal White box then into my BB router?

Not it opened the brown box yet but I expect to see a 2 way splitter which should have a spare way.

The he run will be approx 6 m from brown box to TV

why not split at modem the white box is the isolator if line gets hit with lightning and power surge isolators jobs

Back