Cable Splitter Issue?

Robf23

Hello

I've recently swapped over from sky to virgin. I have everything set up correctly and it's been working fine. However I have experienced quite a bit of freezing from time to time. It can be fine for some periods and in others it can be 20 - 30 secs of freezing. I've been reading through the forums and seen people recommending having a splitter at 5-1000mhz rather than the one I have a splitter at 5-2400mhz.
Why/Will this make a difference? And is it the better option to go with?

Thank you

Hello

I've recently swapped over from sky to virgin. I have everything set up correctly and it's been working fine. However I have experienced quite a bit of freezing from time to time. It can be fine for some periods and in others it can be 20 - 30 secs of freezing. I've been reading through the forums and seen people recommending having a splitter at 5-1000mhz rather than the one I have a splitter at 5-2400mhz.

Thank you

It will make a difference, which Zgemma are you using as the H2 has a weak tuner, I have one so I've had issues. The H2H is better I'm told. Its also possible that if using the black vm hub then you might see more activity with the blue lights on the front. This I had also and after a call to vm they sent a signal from the cabinet to the box and it sorted it (noise reduction) I'm told.
Loads of updates coming through just now so it could be one or the other

It will make a difference, which Zgemma are you using as the H2 has a weak tuner, I have one so I've had issues. The H2H is better I'm told. Its also possible that if using the black vm hub then you might see more activity with the blue lights on the front. This I had also and after a call to vm they sent a signal from the cabinet to the box and it sorted it (noise reduction) I'm told.
Loads of updates coming through just now so it could be one or the other

I am using the H2H box & a virgin media super hub. Do you know why the splitter change will make a difference? I know they are only cheap but i just want to understand more about this new set up i have now ive got rid of my satellite set up. Than you

the 5-1000mhz is the ones used by vm, please get labgear or tratec as there are cheaper ones out there. As your line worked well I'm thinking it might be your superhub that needs sorted like mines as I posted above or you could try a test line to see if that solves your problem, I take it you have asked your provider if any issues their end

I have used 5-2400 splitters on all the h2h's i've set up (several) and they have all been fine... freezing is more than likely an issue with your line provider - if it were the splitter / cables at fault, I think this would cause pixellation / distortion and not freezing.

the 5-1000mhz is the ones used by vm, please get labgear or tratec as there are cheaper ones out there. As your line worked well I'm thinking it might be your superhub that needs sorted like mines as I posted above or you could try a test line to see if that solves your problem, I take it you have asked your provider if any issues their end

Yeah ive had lines before off my provider and have been very reliable. The first idea was try changing the splitter then perhaps the virgin hub then lastly maybe the line. Ill order labgear then. Thank you

I have used 5-2400 splitters on all the h2h's i've set up (several) and they have all been fine... freezing is more than likely an issue with your line provider - if it were the splitter / cables at fault, I think this would cause pixellation / distortion and not freezing.

Okay think ill try another line for a month and see if theres a change. What it the difference between the two splitters? Thank you for reply!

I had this issue, hopefully this will either sort you out or eliminate some things.

Zgemma in lounge and Zgemma in bedroom... both running individual lines per box -

* issue - when both boxes on at the same time, each constantly freeze
* solution - ensure each box does not have a line from the same provider, unless they've given you / offer multiroom
* solution - if your provider doesn't allow multiroom, ensure your boxes have lines with different providers

1 x Zgemma in the property with good line from your provider

* issue - freezing periodically or gaining pixellation from time to time
* solution - check if you have an attenuator fitted by VM, usually attached to the cable as it enters the router or TV box or both. if you have an attenuator then the signal into the house / devices is too strong.
* solution for attenuators. Either add additional attenutaors to the line (they come in various DB 3,6,10 onwards) check the current attenuator and add the same to start with. Well known auction site is the best place as youll need a forward path attenuator VM use Technetix.
* Solution - Put extra VM type cabling to the setup i.e if your router is at one end of the room but you are putting your TV box at the other end, run extra long cable, ordinarily 5-10 metres extra will lower down the signal and potentially help. if youre keeping the devices close together, use attentuators as advised.
*solution - if you dont have attenuators and your devices are close together but... using long wires, change these for smaller ones to the size youd ideally require

in terms of splitters, VM use ones from Technetix that are 5-1000mhz these would be ideal to use however, i installed a few people using generic 5-2400mhz and these worked OK, myself i use the official type :)

i would always recommend using VM cabling or equivalent due to the quality of product, you can get this from the auction site too very cheap.

if you are still incurring freezing / pixellation then it could be the the following issues.

1) the signal is not strong enough - check your connections to and from the splitter youve added and ensure a good connection
2) check again wth your line provider
3) get a booster a lot of people use auction site - youre looking for a CATV active return booster

components required to the above

5-1000mhz Splitter (Technetix)
Attenuators (if already on your installed cables, if theyre not it is unlikely to be a signal thats too strong)
VM cabling - two types - VM will install outside your house to your drop box RG56 type and inside from your access point to devices RG6 type.

Im sure this issue has been covered before but the above should help resolve some if not all issues.

I had this issue, hopefully this will either sort you out or eliminate some things.

Zgemma in lounge and Zgemma in bedroom... both running individual lines per box -

* issue - when both boxes on at the same time, each constantly freeze
* solution - ensure each box does not have a line from the same provider, unless they've given you / offer multiroom
* solution - if your provider doesn't allow multiroom, ensure your boxes have lines with different providers

1 x Zgemma in the property with good line from your provider

* issue - freezing periodically or gaining pixellation from time to time
* solution - check if you have an attenuator fitted by VM, usually attached to the cable as it enters the router or TV box or both. if you have an attenuator then the signal into the house / devices is too strong.
* solution for attenuators. Either add additional attenutaors to the line (they come in various DB 3,6,10 onwards) check the current attenuator and add the same to start with. Well known auction site is the best place as youll need a forward path attenuator VM use Technetix.
* Solution - Put extra VM type cabling to the setup i.e if your router is at one end of the room but you are putting your TV box at the other end, run extra long cable, ordinarily 5-10 metres extra will lower down the signal and potentially help. if youre keeping the devices close together, use attentuators as advised.
*solution - if you dont have attenuators and your devices are close together but... using long wires, change these for smaller ones to the size youd ideally require

in terms of splitters, VM use ones from Technetix that are 5-1000mhz these would be ideal to use however, i installed a few people using generic 5-2400mhz and these worked OK, myself i use the official type :)

i would always recommend using VM cabling or equivalent due to the quality of product, you can get this from the auction site too very cheap.

if you are still incurring freezing / pixellation then it could be the the following issues.

1) the signal is not strong enough - check your connections to and from the splitter youve added and ensure a good connection
2) check again wth your line provider
3) get a booster a lot of people use auction site - youre looking for a CATV active return booster

components required to the above

5-1000mhz Splitter (Technetix)
Attenuators (if already on your installed cables, if theyre not it is unlikely to be a signal thats too strong)
VM cabling - two types - VM will install outside your house to your drop box RG56 type and inside from your access point to devices RG6 type.

Im sure this issue has been covered before but the above should help resolve some if not all issues.

Thank you very much for your reply. You've given me plenty to investigate.
One thing you mention above though is "Attenuators". Now I've read that VM Superhub Power levels should be between -6 to +10 dBmV. Mine however seems be be slightly higher at between 13.9 dBmV & 15.2 dBmV. How strong an attenuators would you recommend?

Attachments

• downstream.jpg
    downstream.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 64
Hi I would only say use attenuators if vm has already put some on your line as that would be a clear indication you have signal that's too strong. If you want to use attenuators to see what happens then start with 6db onwards and you'll be ok, they're about £4 each on auction site. Alternatively as a test use some extra long vm cable about 5-10 metres and see if that makes a difference. If you don't have vm cable use some premade sat cable or the same length but only use sat cable as a test because it's a little cheaper but can cause noise down the line which can cause a problem for other vm users in your area. If the sat cable makes a difference in a good way, either replace it with the vm cable and it use the attenuators with your existing vm cable... hopefully that made sense?

The long cable weakens the signal due to length and attenuators Lower the signal when long cable isn't required...

I cant say this will sort the issue but worth a shot and low cost.

Hi I would only say use attenuators if vm has already put some on your line as that would be a clear indication you have signal that's too strong. If you want to use attenuators to see what happens then start with 6db onwards and you'll be ok, they're about £4 each on auction site. Alternatively as a test use some extra long vm cable about 5-10 metres and see if that makes a difference. If you don't have vm cable use some premade sat cable or the same length but only use sat cable as a test because it's a little cheaper but can cause noise down the line which can cause a problem for other vm users in your area. If the sat cable makes a difference in a good way, either replace it with the vm cable and it use the attenuators with your existing vm cable... hopefully that made sense?

The long cable weakens the signal due to length and attenuators Lower the signal when long cable isn't required...

I cant say this will sort the issue but worth a shot and low cost.

Makes perfect sense thank you. I'll give both a try and do more investigating and see what the best outcome is. Thank you again!

Hello

Thank you
Make sure the copper lead that sticks out is just over flushed with the connector.. If it's 4-5mm snip it off.
you will be surprised with the result.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

FYI - Just a update in case anyone has a similar problem and reads this post.
* I have since replaced all my cabling (From the isolator to the splitter, then from the splitter to the virgin hub & to the H2H box) with a "Webro HD100 Cable".
* Also replaced my Maplin 5-2400mhz splitter with a Labgear 5-1000mhz. (Saw a significant difference.)
* Changed my Ethernet Cables from CAT5 to CAT7. (Thought what the hell might as well change everything whilst I'm at it)
* Added 6db attenuators on my virgin hub and H2H Box. (Read my power levels where to high on my hub this brought them back down. Don't know how much of an effect it having.)
* After all that I had a much stabler picture but still had freezing. (Some short, some longer. And worse on certain days.) So got a new test line. Went from CCcam to newcamd been testing it all day today and not had one glitch/freeze. I know "newcamd" are more recommended and think I'll be sticking with this one.

Thanks to everyone that provided advice. You couldn't have been more helpful!

Glad to hear it seems to be all ok now Rob although it could have just been the line (gift) all along if it was just freezing - remember, if it's to do with signal then it would usually cause pixellation / screen distortion rather than a freeze in the picture.

You can check signal levels through your router, your box will require slightly higher levels but it gives you a good idea.

You can check signal levels through your router, your box will require slightly higher levels but it gives you a good idea.

Back