Strange IPTV Speed/Buffering Issues.

S40TYD

Hoping someone can help with an issue I have with my IPTV on firestick.

My firestick is connected wirelessly. My IPTV provider app has an inbuilt speedtest which they recommend has to be over 16mbps.

My isp is vodafone I have a 35mbps connection. There is only a small number of other devices online on my network.

The firestick is connected to the 5GHZ band. All other services run without any issues.

I have downloaded an independent speedtest app which shows i am recieveing 35mbps to my stick. If I connect to a VPN I'm showing 25mbps.

However as soon as I open the IPTV app and do a speedtest within the IPTV app it shows 10mb or less??? As soon as I try to watch the IPTV it just constantly buffers???

Any help would be grately appreciated.

You will not be getting the full 35 meg if other connected devices are in use.
Strange that the speedtests are done right after each other on different apps and there is 24mb of difference?

It is as though something is blocking the app?

Only use 5 ghz if your firestick is close to your router. Vodafone and IPTV are not a good mix in my experience if they work out you are using Iptv they will throttle your speeds.

The built in speed test apps are inaccurate - I've streamed fhd without issue when I supposedly haven't had enough speed for even SD according to the app.

Try clearing cache and rebooting your firestick and router as this'll often solve buffering.

I tend to keep to UK on VPN with PIA you can see what speed a particular country server is running at before you connect.

Had no buffering all was fine

The apps are in accurate on smarters xciptv ect better to use on off the firestick If using android box download ookla from playstore.
Had a little buffer for 5g10 mins as streams was been moved for lb other than that, spot on no vpn

Thanks everyone so far for the suggestions. Very much appreciated!

Since I initially split my router to dual band and connected the firestick to the 5GHZ network i thought I had cracked it the in app speedtest was consistently 20mb+. But recently its between 6-12 and constantly buffering.

The IPTV provider frequently suggests restarting router deleting cache and restarting stick. This didn't seem to help unfortunately.

I have now connected to a French VPN in app speedtest was 10mb but weirdly I am watching Full HD channels without any buffering

As above it really looks as though vodafone are throttling back my connection when I am using the IPTV app. Apart from VPNs is there any other way round this?

Just had a read of all of this thread. Think the boys are giving some sound advice here. As @bazcfc1 & @pupuqiop say, the speed test on the actual apps whether it be Smarters or XC use different servers to bounce off from. Infact almost every different speed tests use different servers ect so they all vary massively. Ookla tends to be one of the better ones as it also shows ping & packet loss which is important for your service. I’d rather do a speed test, directly from a Ethernet cable with a windows laptop via command prompt to really see what my speeds are.

For the wireless side of things I’d be checking your using a channel on the router that is 1,6 or 11 which is much less likely to suffer from interference for any other device connected to the wifi.

Point a VPN app to a UK server when EPL is on is like not having one at all. You need to connect the VPN to a server that has little relation to the UK and is close. The best ones to use are Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Lithuania, Switzerland. France, Ireland, Italy are no goes!

@S40TYD if a french server is working then thats cool. I personally wouldn’t connect to France but it it varies from VPN to VPN and preference I guess. I think if you are using the standard issued router that vodaphone give then I would look to dump it!

I did it for the Sly router on my fibre connection which isn’t amazing but my wirless around the house is much better. The standard q hub I got didn’t even get signal around the house. Also ISP’s can’t pull logs from a third party router/modem or at least they would find it much harder to do it if they can do it at all with a third party modem/router. It could also be blocks and DDOS attacks on your providers servers which made your service unstable when the footy is on. Considering it’s working now and the footie is done suggest to me that it may be the provider too, they are dropping like flies right now. Loads state that you don’t need a VPN and they have a VPN on there servers ect or they are buying new servers ect. It’s annoys me so much because buying new server doesn’t work and they will work for about 10 days then blocked also, VPN on a server isn’t a thing to be fair because good providers have 1000’s of customer and you can justify the cost or the reason why you need 1000/2000/3000 vpn connections without knowing it’s for one thing. Proxies on server don’t really work as it makes a service unstable. The only protection you can put on the servers is anti-DDOS but again these are now ordered by court order to stop offering there product and ban servers ect. Very difficult now but it can be done. The end user and VPN is the only really way now to get around buffering. You won’t really have a issue when the E P L isn’t on.

But we could go around and around to be fair, there’s about 100 things it could be.

might be an idea to try find out what your guaranteed minimum speed should be with your ISP and try that route if everything else has failed!

Just had a read of all of this thread. Think the boys are giving some sound advice here. As @bazcfc1 & @pupuqiop say, the speed test on the actual apps whether it be Smarters or XC use different servers to bounce off from. Infact almost every different speed tests use different servers ect so they all vary massively. Ookla tends to be one of the better ones as it also shows ping & packet loss which is important for your service. I’d rather do a speed test, directly from a Ethernet cable with a windows laptop via command prompt to really see what my speeds are.

For the wireless side of things I’d be checking your using a channel on the router that is 1,6 or 11 which is much less likely to suffer from interference for any other device connected to the wifi.

Point a VPN app to a UK server when EPL is on is like not having one at all. You need to connect the VPN to a server that has little relation to the UK and is close. The best ones to use are Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Lithuania, Switzerland. France, Ireland, Italy are no goes!
Utter nonesense about using a UK server to watch EPL. The whole point of using a VPN is encrypt data so your isp dose not know what you are streaming., They know you are streaming just not the content which is why it clears. The only advantge you would gain by using another countrys server would be if the content was geo blocked.

Utter nonesense about using a UK server to watch EPL. The whole point of using a VPN is encrypt data so your isp dose not know what you are streaming., They know you are streaming just not the content which is why it clears. The only advantge you would gain by using another countrys server would be if the content was geo blocked.
UK is subject to court order that includes VPN servers. Soons as the EPL is on UK VPN servers get it too not just service provider servers. Again it’s personal preference and didn’t say it wouldn’t work but it doesn’t make sense to me. For me it makes sense to connect to a country that isn’t UK or has close relations to the Uk.

I think most of these companies are based where the UK courts can't touch them. As a VPN is a security feature used by many businesses and goverment any ISP provider would come up against a brick wall trying to get info. Your isp probably knows you are using a VPN just not what you are watching.

Back