Stream media FROM Windows 10 PC TO my Android 11 phone using VLC

skepasti21

Hello all, I'm trying to stream my media FROM Windows 10 PC TO my Android 11 phone using VLC. My files are located on my 2nd D drive which I can't see them in my phone. I'm trying to make it work in 2 ways. FIRSTLY, by enabling the ''Media Stream Options'' in which I can only stream shared media files only when they are located in desktop folder. I tried to turn off sharing option for Desktop Folder with no success, also checked in computer management/shared folders/shares and no ''C:\Users\user\Desktop'' is listed for sharing. Probably, somehow, idk, is it a bug of windows maybe? Also, I put media files backwards, I mean....''C:\Users\user'' with sharing enabled, and files are not listed either, I did that in order to check if the files appear on my phone and no they do NOT! They only shown forwards I mean ex. ''C:\Users\user\Desktop/test folder/kids folder'' and so on. Moreover, sharing by right clicking on desktop folder and then shutting down sharing doesn't work, it seems share is off but actually it isn't, it stays shared FOREVER LoL!!! ..... what on earth is going on??? Why I can’t turn off sharing on desktop folder? SECONDLY by enabling sharing in every folder I want to share by fixing all the owners, privilages rights and adding ''everyone'' as a user. No luck! It keeps asking for SMB credentials on VLC. I have turned off ''password protected sharing'' and tried both options of bit encryptions and I’m logged on my computer with local account without setting up any password, I tried to use only my username but it wont work, it keeps asking for SMB credentials. I can’t make it work which makes me furious. In both ways sharing works when try with another computer. Any thoughts?

Screenshot

Not sure if I can help but this loooks like a comprehensive solution to what your after?
Please read all the link since it tells you about setting up sharing from PC to android.

How to Cast Windows Media to Your Android Device With VLC
I had to enable enable SMB1 on the Windows from windows features.

But I can’t find a way to view the shared folders through the media streaming service apart from the desktop and its subfolders which its already able to see.

Last edited:
I had to enable enable SMB1 on the Windows from windows features.

But I can’t find a way to view the shared folders through the media streaming service apart from the desktop and its subfolders which its already able to see.
No idea on the SMB thing but if its over your own network at home then the

3. Share Your Files / Create a HomeGroup

On the link above.
Thats all I can help with. Shouldn,t really need SMB unless your after something different?

Google search gave me this on SMB

Accessing files on network devices using SMBv1 on Windows 10
Like I say no clue on the SMB. :(

Back