Streaming World Cup 2022

The World Cup is almost upon us and it looks like we’re in for a 2-tiered experience for those of us wanting to stream the matches from the UK.

BBC have confirmed that they will be showing their matches in 4k on the iPlayer, but ITV have let the side down by delaying the launch of their new ITVX platform.

I realise those who are in the UK may just watch the linear channels - especially considering the delays of streaming.

For the rest of us: Where will you be watching the World Cup matches? Has anyone found better quality alternatives than ITV?

From my digging it looks like JioCinema (India) will be showing all matches for free in 4k, and Tubi (US) has replays of all matches in 4k for free, but likely with ads.

Keen to hear if anyone else is aware of anyone else showing the games in 4k/1080p and 50/60fps and English commentary? Ideally for free, but I don’t mind shelling out a bit on a sub for the World Cup - albeit Fubo is a bit steep 😂

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat! Looking for quality high def English comm streams. iPlayer is fine but ITV Hub is always so poor.

Has ITVX been confirmed to have HD+ quality live streams? Typical of them to launch it half way through a World Cup! 🤦‍♂️

How come there's only three or four channels that offer UHD but now the world cup is on everyone wants everything in UHD/4k?
SD and HD are fine for years but now, even though they're free, they simply won't do?

I'm in the same boat! Looking for quality high def English comm streams. iPlayer is fine but ITV Hub is always so poor.

Has ITVX been confirmed to have HD+ quality live streams? Typical of them to launch it half way through a World Cup! 🤦‍♂️
Apparently ITV won’t be showing any of their matches in 4k. So they do a massive re-platforming exercise without adding 4k capability? I know there is added costs to providing higher quality streams, but that seems silly….

How come there's only three or four channels that offer UHD but now the world cup is on everyone wants everything in UHD/4k?
SD and HD are fine for years but now, even though they're free, they simply won't do?
The whole thing is shot in 4k, so there’s no excuse other than it is technically difficult and costly to do.

I never cease to be amazed about how few streaming services can even do 1080p/50fps these days. Seems like it’s only Australia that’s consistently there - as per the Paramount+, ESPN and other threads the Americans and Canadians can’t even do it. I guess it might be driven by the price points in those markets versus the costs.

The whole thing is shot in 4k, so there’s no excuse other than it is technically difficult and costly to do.

I never cease to be amazed about how few streaming services can even do 1080p/50fps these days. Seems like it’s only Australia that’s consistently there - as per the Paramount+, ESPN and other threads the Americans and Canadians can’t even do it. I guess it might be driven by the price points in those markets versus the costs.
No excuse other than it's an expensive pain in the arse, I may have stumbled on the reason.
HD is enough for anyone

No excuse other than it's an expensive pain in the arse, I may have stumbled on the reason.
HD is enough for anyone

Not more insurmountable than the newer, progressive platforms have taken the jump to 4k - even in India. Peacock even claim they’re going to stream EPL in 4k next season. Meanwhile the laggards on legacy platforms are stuck in 720p.

I am personally happy with FHD (not 720p) but delighted by 4k. I guess it’s a personal preference, and as I said in my OP, I am happy to pay for it.

I wouldn't pay for FTA channels, I don't think you'd find anyone in the UK happy to pay for something that is free through an aerial

I actually think people will pay. People pay for ad-free (eg ITV+) and higher quality (eg Now TV Booster). Not everyone, but some people definitely will.

I’d just expect anyone doing a re-platforming in 2022 would be adding the capability. Given the re-brand and all they clearly want to signal they’re new and modern. So given they’re using the World Cup to launch their new platform (until they messed that up and delayed) it seems like an obvious thing to do.

Anyway, enough about ITV. I am looking for global alternatives and don’t care if they’re FTA or paid.

ITVX will apparently still only have SD quality live streams, unlike BBC iPlayer which has offered HD live streams for a while now and even 4K for previous World Cup/Euros/Wimbledon.

Not good for those who can’t get the HD channels on Freeview or simply cannot watch on Freeview for whatever perfectly valid reason. ITV should be offering live streams in HD at a minimum by now.

BBC will broadcast WC in 4k HDR
iTV will be on dial up Internet...sorry HD if lucky..

Lost of services will be doing WC in 4k but won't be free...Fox 4k, DSTV 4k, Astro 4k

If your going to pay then Fox 4k be your best bet on a shoppy account.

BBC will broadcast WC in 4k HDR
iTV will be on dial up Internet...sorry HD if lucky..

Lost of services will be doing WC in 4k but won't be free...Fox 4k, DSTV 4k, Astro 4k

If your going to pay then Fox 4k be your best bet on a shoppy account.
Fox 4K , would I get this by purchasing fox sports ? It’s not a separate channel ?

Fox 4K , would I get this by purchasing fox sports ? It’s not a separate channel ?
It's a app itself but you need to have a login to activate it for one of these services

1. FOX Sports app (login via TV Everywhere)
  2. fuboTV “Elite”
  3. YouTube TV + 4K Plus add-on
Fubo is easily available on shoppy ...expensive legit

Has anyone tried signing up for Fubo? I was contemplating doing their 7 day trial, and just repeating that if I can use a disposable Revolut card. Does anyone know if they take Revolut?

Given I am in Australia for most of the World Cup, I probably won’t be watching many matches live due to the timings. Maybe watching the 4k replays on Tubi and tolerating the ads isn’t too bad…

Last edited:
Has anyone tried signing up for Fubo? I was contemplating doing their 7 day trial, and just repeating that if I can use a disposable Revolut card. Does anyone know if they take Revolut?

Given I am in Australia for most of the World Cup, I probably won’t be watching many matches live due to the timings. Maybe watching the 4k replays on Tubi and tolerating the ads isn’t too bad…
No fubo will not work with revolut you will need a card that's registered in the US or Canada

Kyser143 just gave you the answer

Figures - guess I only have one shot at that trial then.

Trying to avoid shoppy accounts, but recognise that is definitely a great solution for others.

It's a app itself but you need to have a login to activate it for one of these services

1. FOX Sports app (login via TV Everywhere)
  2. fuboTV “Elite”
  3. YouTube TV + 4K Plus add-on
Fubo is easily available on shoppy ...expensive legit
Any experience with this? Multi device problems getting booted out?
Cheers.

Back