Stuttering (football)

Hi

Sorry, a second question for me today. This is more of a general query, not a problem with IPTV.

I've tried a provider and the service is good, other than my buffering problem that I have posted about separately. However, even though the picture is great and the stream appears to be working great, when I watch a sport like football, when the there is a fast movement, like the ball being kicked, the ball appears to flicker.

Has anyone experienced that? I'm assuming it's an issue with my TV perhaps. But I'm just curious what causes that.

Thanks

Hi

Sorry, a second question for me today. This is more of a general query, not a problem with IPTV.

I've tried a provider and the service is good, other than my buffering problem that I have posted about separately. However, even though the picture is great and the stream appears to be working great, when I watch a sport like football, when the there is a fast movement, like the ball being kicked, the ball appears to flicker.

Has anyone experienced that? I'm assuming it's an issue with my TV perhaps. But I'm just curious what causes that.

Thanks
Need 50fps streams or try putting tv in sports mode

It is usually caused by frames per second of the image.
You need 50 or 60 frames per second for sports. You will have to check what channel you are viewing to check this.
On Tivimate when viewing a channel you click ok and the information will pop up on the screen including frame rate.
25 or 30 is bad for sports and will cause flickering of fast moving panning pictures.
Especially ball flight.
I think you said you were from Canada from your other posts so they use 60 frames per second for sports and 30 frames per second for standard TV.
If the supplier you are with has not got channels with 60 frames per second, then I would try a different supplier especially for viewing sports.

Last edited:
It is usually caused by frames per second of the image.
You need 50 or 60 frames per second for sports. You will have to check what channel you are viewing to check this.
On Tivimate when viewing a channel you click ok and the information will pop up on the screen including frame rate.
25 or 30 is bad for sports and will cause flickering of fast moving panning pictures.
What I just said lol

We posted the exact same time, but mine was a bit more descriptive than your reply lol
They don’t do 50 frames per second in Canada
lot easier to explain the solution rather to type out the ins and outs sometimes. Keeps things simple.

Plenty of 60 fps etc aswell well should be.

lot easier to explain the solution rather to type out the ins and outs sometimes. Keeps things simple.

Plenty of 60 fps etc aswell well should be.
I am only trying to help and the person may not even understand about frames per second and given an explanation of it will help them understand better.
This will save them asking extra questions and needing more replies to explain.
I know you’re trying to help them as well, but your reply didn’t really tell them a great deal.
Putting the TV into sports mode with 30 frames per second would not help either.

Last edited:
Have a look in your TV settings as some tvs have a motion blur setting I think its called it doesn't matter if 25/30/50/60 fps as your always going to get the odd flicker with motion as its streamed TV

Mind ypu trying to think of channels that run football at 60fps. Yes cerinaly USA Sports etc do.

Have a look in your TV settings as some tvs have a motion blur setting I think its called it doesn't matter if 25/30/50/60 fps as your always going to get the odd flicker with motion as its streamed TV
I’m not sure motion interpolation would help their issue if it’s 30 frames per second they are viewing.
Maybe a slight improvement, but will still see ball flicker.
They shouldn’t get ball flickering with 60 frames per second images

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks
Even at 60 fps ball stutter can still happen if the IPTV provider is using compression on the video.

A uncompressed 25fps picture from a Satellite box has nearly no ball judder, its not all about fps.

Even at 60 fps ball stutter can still happen if the IPTV provider is using compression on the video.

A uncompressed 25fps picture from a Satellite box has nearly no ball judder, it’s not all about fps.
I don’t use satellite but I understand what you mean.
Does compression of the channels by a supplier alter the resolution and frame rate?
I would’ve thought it did.
I have never used the hardware either.
Do they have AFR switching?
When I am viewing sports I always try to watch a channel that has 50 or 60fps and it always has a smoother image than 25 or 30fps.
I always have AFR switched on in the app I am using if it has it or switch it on in my device.

Last edited:
The one thing I do is when I am trying suppliers is to check the channels are playing the correct resolution and frame rate.
Obviously, the higher the better the image will be.
If all the sport channels are playing at 25fsp and 30fps then try a different supplier.

Last edited:
I echo your thoughts on this, @thegekko83 as above regarding fps are all valid points, but if you have motion blur or some of the AI tech built into the TVs theses days switched on you'll find your movies looks great, but your sports will look shit, hence why you might see a flickering ball.

I echo your thoughts on this, @thegekko83 as above regarding fps are all valid points, but if you have motion blur or some of the AI tech built into the TVs theses days switched on you'll find your movies looks great, but your sports will look shit, hence why you might see a flickering ball.
Most manufacturers of TVs have motion interpolation on them but it is named differently on different brands.
It artificially increases the frame rate to smooth the picture.
It will help the image when it is turned on, but you may get a soap opera effect.
It has no effect on my TV when it is switched on or off viewing 50 or 60 frames per second but it does give me a soap opera effect.
Flickering is way more visible on 25 and 30 frames per second images on iptv.
Using auto frame rate can help with this and also motion interpolation may help
Sorry to be a geek, but I have done a lot of testing on this.
There a reason why broadcasters use 50 and 60 fps when broadcasting sports.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Just to confirm, it is not an issue with my TV as terrestrial channels are fine for football etc. Just with a couple of IPTV providers I've tested. I guess it's a sign that they aren't great providers if I have this issue with their channels. The FPS explanation makes sense. Thanks.

Thanks all. Just to confirm, it is not an issue with my TV as terrestrial channels are fine for football etc. Just with a couple of IPTV providers I've tested. I guess it's a sign that they aren't great providers if I have this issue with their channels. The FPS explanation makes sense. Thanks.
I have a couple of subs and I have checked FHD,HD and SD sport channels on both subs and all the UK channels played in 50fps and all the US channels played in 60fps.
This was checked on my hardware monitoring on my device.
I’m not sure what device you have but most don’t have hardware monitoring so it’s difficult to test but you can see with your own eyes when the ball is flickering.
Try some trials with some other providers and see what results you get.
If you need your sub testing for fps I can gladly do it.
Good luck.

Hi

Thanks
Sometimes I got this on my phone Samsung S21 Ultra but It's OK on my 4k TV with tivimate.

Back