sub £50 vpn router

steptoe

VIP Member
as the title
can anyone recommend a sub £50 vpn or wrt capable router ?
I know it wont be capable of much at that PP, but its only for 1, maybe 2 devices for occasional streaming or downloading
I already have a GL travel router for when Im working away, but would like someting a little better for permanent home use.
saw a couple of TP link and ASUS , just wondering if they are worth it or its just a waste at this sort of money,
max home BB speed is about 70meg at present.

I had bought one of the linksys routers a few years back and installed ddwrt myself (can’t remember the model number maybe the e1200). It was about £25ish I think and around double on eBay with dd wrt installed.

and I have the liberty shield router (£20ish) too - it comes pre installed with vpn.

Both of them were pretty cack when it came to performance, maxing out around 5/6mb. A friend told me it was down to their processors not being able to handle greater bandwidth.

That has been a while, but it might be worth spending a bit more.

Last edited:
I had bought one of the linksys routers a few years back and installed ddwrt myself (can’t remember the model number maybe the e1200). It was about £25ish I think and around double on eBay with dd wrt installed.

and I have the liberty shield router (£20ish) too - it comes pre installed with vpn.

Both of them were pretty cack when it came to performance, maxing out around 5/6mb. A friend told me it was down to their processors not being able to handle greater bandwidth.

That has been a while, but it might be worth spending a bit more.
jeez
thats is really bad.!
my GL router does about 12meg, lol

I bought this last week but not had chance to hook it up yet though.
TP-LINK Archer C6 - £30.64

thanks folks,
but cant find where they can aqctually run a VPN
just vpn capable, which could in reality mean they can handle a passthrough for vpn
Im looking for something that can actually run a vpn,
I know I said sub £50 , that was because when you say £100, people start sending links for £150+ stuff, cos they cant actually read too good,,
@woody6222 thats looks pretty decent, can you confirm it can actually run a vpn without needing a client mode ?
Im not very tech savvy.

thanks folks,
just vpn capable, which could in reality mean they can handle a passthrough for vpn
I know I said sub £50 , that was because when you say £100, people start sending links for £150+ stuff, cos they cant actually read too good,,
@woody6222 thats looks pretty decent, can you confirm it can actually run a vpn without needing a client mode ?
Im not very tech savvy.
I don,t own one so l can't answer your question. Return to sender if it doesn't do what you want.:smiley:(y)

thanks folks,
Im not very tech savvy.
Dual core 1.6ghz 512mb ram can run DD-WRT and youll see 60mb with a decent VPN on this router

WRT1900ACS-UK, Linksys WRT1900ACS-UK AC1900 | Box.co.uk

Back