Subaru overheating headache

bocard80

i have a 1995 subaru legacy with a overheating issue, radiator was flushed and burped and still overheats after 10 mins of driving it makes no sense. mechanics are not sure whats going on or never worked on a subaru before, coolant has no bubbles so i doubt its headgasket,,,maybe thermostat..water pump but im hoping its a easy fix.

If it was headgasket, you would most likely have water in your oil. Usually, but not always, when the water pump goes out, there will be fluid leaking around it.

I would take off the stat but the two housing bolts are stripped and I can't get a grip..any ideas

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

you really need to get a look at the thermostat. another thing to consider is that just because the rad was flushed it could still be plugged. if this shop doesnt know how to check for hot spots with a thermo probe you really do need to change shops. in thirty odd years of pulling wrenches ive never had an overheating problem that couldnt be solved.

UPDATE: THERE IS NO heat when the car is warm now what do you think it could be?

heater rad stuffed with tomato soup,do the impellers on the water pump rust on these car and get no circulation,can you see water swirling in reservoir?

if you had heat before chances are it has an airlock. ive had some that were a real bugger to burp. another possibility is a plugged heater core. go under the hood with the car warmed up and running and feel both heater hoses going into the core (under the hood,bonnet) if one is hot but not the other you have a plugged core or if it has a vacuum operated flow valve in the line it may not be opening.

After finally getting the bolts off I figured out that I have no tstat someone muct of removed it

seeing as you got no tstat its obviously a long running prob, so has your fan been wired so it comes on with ignition yeh?

No is that a option ? I never see the fans running unless the cars Hott when idle

Its your tstat that tells the fan to run as far as i know, so if it aint on at startup i doubt its coming on at all, wiring it to come on with the ignition is a short time fix but your best off sorting it properly with a new Tstat as you might burn the fan out eventually

Last edited:
a rad fan switch tells fan to start on most cars,thermostat is only a door that closes that allows water to heat up to a set temp then door opens allowing cool water into engine to heat up,question is ,is the car pumping water out or overheating,a sniff test will tell if head gasket is gone or not,tomato soup is thick rusty water in engine that clogs rads,other sign is hard hoses that internally crack [ sound ]when pressed hard due to coating of rust on inside of hose
a car without stat is supposed to run cooler but in winter you will have no heat inside car.
a classic car for tomato soup is the renault,bet noelyf has seen plenty of them lol

yep apologies thermo switch mixed up with thermostat, years ago I'm sure they used to be in the same place but apparently yours is by the radiator, so if youve got decent waterflow then have a look at the thermo switch aswell

Back