Surfshark VPN on Zgemma H2

I have Surfshark installed on my Zgemma H2 and use VPN Config Changer plugin to connect to various country servers. Virgin broadband is my ISP and I am using a Superhub 3.

The issue I have is that whilst I can connect to various servers, from those close by which are faster to those elsewhere, it is SLOW, MEGA SLOW. A speed test when connected to the Surfshark VPN shows a maximum of 1.8 Mbits/sec download, and >30Mbits/sec when not connected via the VPN at all. I have tried this speed test many times. Rebooted my Superhub 3 router, rebooted the Zgemma H2 box, but when connected via VPN, the max download I get is 1.8 Mbits/sec, 1.2 Mbits/sec upload. IPTV is unwatchable. I am using the Nameserver details below, otherwise VPN Config Changer won't work:

Nameserver 1 8.8.8.8
Nameserver2 8.8.4.4

I have the Surfshark VPN app installed on my PC and it works fine with great download speeds. But when Surfshark VPN is installed on Zgemma, ALL VPN servers are slow, slow, slow.

I have online chatted surfshark support, they were unable to remedy or provide any suggestions other than to "reboot router". Does anyone know what could cause a VPN connection to slow down like this, when it works fine on a PC or laptop? Are there other Nameserver I.P. addresses I can try that may improve speed? Thanks

U probably need to change pass through settings inside your virgin media router. Then uninstall surfshark and reinstall it

Thanks. I have logged into my router but not sure where "pass through" settings are located. I can see Firewall, MAC Filtering, IP & Port Filtering, Port Forwarding, Port Triggering, DMZ etc.. Are you able to confirm where I make changes and what changes need to be made? I have never done this before so apologies for the questions. My Firewall Settings are currently as follows:

Firewall protection - Enabled

Block fragmented IP packets - Disabled

Port scan detection - Enabled

IP flood detection - Enabled

Last edited:
Sorry that this is off topic, but, i also have surfshark and my ISP is virgin, from reading up I was under the impression that one could not install a VPN on a virgin router!
I am having problems in installing surfshark on my zgemma H52TC would you be able to advise on where you picked up a tutorial.?
thanks Skabo

You can use dsayers script here as a guide, I use surfshark 70 meg without vpn 18-20 with vpn on a formuler f1 enigma box (fast enough for iptv) but on a fire stick with sursharks own plugin I get 58meg down load.

Back