Surround Sound Help

GGSS

Hi guys, looking a bit of help please. I have tv in bedroom setup with a 'magic eye' (to watch sky tv) via coaxial cable which is plugged into rf input on tv. At present i am using sound from tv but would like to link tv to my Samsung surround sound. My Sharp tv doesn't have optical socket, only my surround sound blu ray player has. Is there any way that i could get surround sound to work when watching tv through the magic eye?

that can be an issue with compatible items not connecting,might your tv have phono out and surround have phono in as that will give stereo.
if you had a sat/cable box it might have options as spdif or digital out.

that can be an issue with compatible items not connecting,might your tv have phono out and surround have phono in as that will give stereo.
if you had a sat/cable box it might have options as spdif or digital out.

Attachments

• Rear Tv.jpg
    Rear Tv.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 24
  • Side Tv.jpg
    Side Tv.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 22
  • Rear Bluray.jpg
    Rear Bluray.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 21
Cactikid, thanks for your reply. I uploaded pictures of my tv and bluray/surround sound. I apologise as i am a novice with connections etc and understanding them. If pictures help understand set up and to give me a solution if possible. Thanks for your help.

looks like the rear of your tv has an optical out and the blu ray player has an optical in. It may work by connecting an optical lead from the back of the tv to the blu ray system. Just a note though that the TV may not output optical in any surround sound mode maybe just stereo with an RF feed.

looks like the rear of your tv has an optical out and the blu ray player has an optical in. It may work by connecting an optical lead from the back of the tv to the blu ray system. Just a note though that the TV may not output optical in any surround sound mode maybe just stereo with an RF feed.
Jazzie-bee, thanks, but I cant see optical out on rear of tv??

my bad it's a coaxial digital out your tv has, looks like you'll need a converter. But as before i am not sure the output you'll get using an RF feed on a tv.

my bad it's a coaxial digital out your tv has, looks like you'll need a converter. But as before i am not sure the output you'll get using an RF feed on a tv.
Jazzie Bee, thanks for your reply. I bought a spdif cable to optical but the thin end (spdif) does not fit into the back of the tv (spdif coaxial out) for some reason, it seems to thin. Do these come in different sizes? What type of converter would be best? I had a look on ebay and there are loads of different types (if you could help me please and let me know what type of converter i should be looking for). Much appreciated.

they sometimes come with adaptors, google optical lead adaptor to see which you need. Places like Maplin sell them and other good retailers.

what exactly are you trying to do?
your TV does not have spdif out, it only has digital out,
what inputs does your surround sound have?

what exactly are you trying to do?
your TV does not have spdif out, it only has digital out,
what inputs does your surround sound have?
Hi Steptoe. I am trying to link my surround sound to my tv. I mainly use my tv to watch sky through magic eye which is connected to tv. My tv does not have optical. My surround sound has optical. I bought a cable but does not fit into tv spdif coax as it's too thin.

no, you have pictures of a book ,
not actual pictures of the connections,
is the AUX in phono.?

one of these will work [cheaper versions are available]
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg03497/audio-converter-optical-coax-to/dp/AV19975

you will also need a coax connection from TV to converter
is the AUX in phono.?

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg03497/audio-converter-optical-coax-to/dp/AV19975

is the AUX in phono.?

is the AUX in phono.?

Thank you for your help. I am not educated with these things sorry, don't understand what phono means, but I think it maybe is My aux connections on surround sound are 2 slots for lead, 1 red, 1 white.

Thank you for your help. I am not educated with these things sorry, don't understand what phono means, but I think it maybe is My aux connections on surround sound are 2 slots for lead, 1 red, 1 white.
Sorry about photos, must not have uploaded them correctly

Back