Swap file

dangerous

TK Veteran
Is everyone still setting up a 256mb swap file on the H2S/ H2H ?
Is it necessary or should this box have enough memory.
I keep reading conflicting threads about what And why it's needed.
Only hours ago today another member has said swap file is not needed as it can cause problems with box/SD card compatibility
Any comments welcomed[emoji3]

Last edited:
simple answer. disable it and see if you noticed any difference in speed. And keep an eye on the memory via cache flash plugin. To be honest I don't know whether swap files are needed or not, don't know whether its just habit from the olden day, but I have a barebones setup and my memory zeros out now and again even with a swap file. So god knows.

---------- Post Merged at 08:36 PM ----------

Here is a few quotes from google
Swap does not improve processor power, it helps when the STB is running out of memory, but it further loads the processor; so if you already suffer from too heavy a load on the processor, swap is a really bad idea.

Swap is really only needed on the older Enigma1 boxes that had very little memory.

Under heavy load, i.e software update you box will crash if you don't have swap file enabled

its probably also under heavy load when downloading the epg everynight depending on your settings.

---------- Post Merged at 08:42 PM ----------

I will conclude here now that adding a swapfile will help prevent EPG crashes but only until swapspace runs out, if that happens it will crash! using values that force swapfile use will only make that crash happen sooner, on the other hand a swapfile makes the box work slower day by day.

Thanks for the info Kiddac, I'll have a play around to see if it makes any difference. I've got 3 boxes set up so I'll disable 2 and leave the third one. I'll report back here if I notice anything [emoji106]

I have just disabled mine just for the hell of it. We will see if I get any crashes overnight with ABM and EPG. (saying that my box is normally on standby overnight. I might leave it on. To give it something to work with.) I will probably turn it back on for a software update though. Although I wont be doing that this week. Seems a lot of people having problems this week with infobar errors etc. Whether coincidence or not. I will wait till the noises quiten down before I do any updates.

Back