Switching from Sly to Vermin

Daverfc81

Hi Guys,

If this needs to be moved admin, feel free to move.

Moving house in a few weeks and thinking of switching from my current set up (H2S with Sly) to VM set up, I would be taking out VM at the new residence. Had a browse round the forum but couldn't find out the info I've been looking for so appreciate anyone's assistance here.

What box is required (best) for VM?
Can it record programs while watching another?
Is there an idiots guide to setting this up? :)

I'm sure more questions will pop into my head but if anyone has the general info that would be great, thanks

What's your budget? I read somewhere that zgemma were due to bring out a twin cable box.

Edision mega and techomate nano aren't too bad. Both have plenty of support and I believe backups exist for both.

I think you have to spend in the region of £120+ for twin cable box

Alternatively if your new home has a sky dish the zgemma H2H is fairly good. It works by using 1 sly input and 1 vermin input thus allowing you to record 1 channel whilst watching another. Or you can setup it to just be a single cable tuner. Again plenty of support.

Depends on your budget but I would go for a combo setup because there are some channels on Sly that are not on VM. (Sly Atlantic springs to mind).
Xtrend ET8500 can have up to 4 tuners. I have 2 of each.
There is the Technomate triple tuner (2 cable - 1 sat) for about £140.
Edision OS Mega is also a good box and the Mutant HD51 but there seems to be a shortage of cable tuners at the moment.
The Octagon SF4008 also looks promising but it's brand new and we're still waiting for the ViX image to be released.

The reason for considering the switch to Vermin is because we have no dish at the new address. Can get the basic sly package for £9 (returning customer offer) a month to get the dish installed.

Budget is probably up for debate as I don't know how much a twin cable box is haha, if it's around £120 then that's ok.

im liking the look of the vu+ Uno 4k 1 fbc cable tuner you can record up to 8 channels at once add a usb sat tuner and your sorted but not cheap the box is £229 then around £50 for the usb sat tuner plus the cost of hard drive if you haven't got one

The reason for considering the switch to Vermin is because we have no dish at the new address. Can get the basic sly package for £9 (returning customer offer) a month to get the dish installed.

Budget is probably up for debate as I don't know how much a twin cable box is haha, if it's around £120 then that's ok.

If you go for the Sly installation would they fetch the dish back if you cancel?

EDIT: Another consideration is that the line for VM usually costs a fair bit more than for Sly unless you can get one that will handle both.

If you go for the Sly installation would they fetch the dish back if you cancel?

EDIT: Another consideration is that the line for VM usually costs a fair bit more than for Sly unless you can get one that will handle both.

Never seen sky take any equipment back I think it's only vm that do that

cheers for the replies guys, gave me enough to google and have a look.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean, get it installed and then cancel within the 14 days?

And if do have a dish fitted then may force skyq on you with new lnb which wont work with freesat tunner,HS2 etc as far as i know but think you can ask on install for a combi lnb that does skyq an freesat,i am more then sure that this is the case i would check it out before sign up to sky.

Back