The Fourth Kind

Rocky

VIP Member
Me and the missus went to see this film tonight.

Greatest load of crap I have ever seen
:bang head:

Actress Milla Jovovich approaches the screen and speaks directly to the audience, claiming that everything in "The Fourth Kind" is backed up by actual video and audio, and is a dramatization of something truly real. We are then encouraged to believe what we want to believe, and thus, the most pretentiously tedious "thriller" of the year begins.

"The Fourth Kind" is plagued by an unyielding determination to make the audience "believe". It transfers between an interview with director Olatunde Osunsanmi and Dr. Abigail Taylor (on who the film is based), a dramatized story arc in which Jovovich plays Taylor, and split-screens are used to show actual footage alongside the performances. All of these techniques only lead to distraction, and never successfully accomplish the job they set out to do.

Weeks after "Paranormal Activity" managed to evoke dread by making the fake seem real, "The Fourth Kind" does the complete opposite. The footage meant to enhance data only slows the film, as the split-screen tactics overstay their welcome fairly soon into the running time.

And how convenient is it that the footage meant to confirm unreal events always seems to get blurry and static-filled when the supposedly extraordinary activity is being captured? It's either real, or a cheap way out. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Those who take the footage shown as concrete evidence of alien encounters will probably buy into the entire ruse "The Fourth Kind" carries in its bag of tricks. If one chooses to dismiss the rather unimpressive "facts," as I did, then "The Fourth Kind" will do nothing for you except bore and trail along on a thrill-less route to nowhere.

The burning question that "The Fourth Kind" wants to sear into the audience's mindset is whether or not alien abduction is a real occurrence. But after the movie fails as both a fact-based study and a fast-paced thriller, I believe the more important question is, why should I care?

Don't waste your time watching it....you will hate yourself if you do :hop mad:

the_fourth_kind_poster.jpg

Thanks for the review Rocky. Sounds like I will have to pass on this one.

From imdb.com:

According to promotional materials from Universal, the film is framed around a psychologist named Abigail Tyler who interviewed traumatized patients in Nome. However Alaska state licensing examiner Jan Mays says she can't find records of an Abigail Tyler ever being licensed in any profession in Alaska. Ron Adler, CEO and director of the Alaska Psychiatric Institute and Denise Dillard, president of the Alaska Psychological Association say they've never heard of Abigail Tyler. Web sites for an "Alaska Psychiatry Journal" and "Alaska News Archive" containing references to Tyler were created by the film's producers, but were outed as hoaxes when it was discovered they were registered a month before the film's release and the purported author of one of the archived news articles stated she had never written it.

The movie's hoaxed interviews have angered the families of real missing persons in and around Nome, Alaska, for trivializing their loss. Melanie Edwards, Vice President of Kawerak Inc (an organization representing tribal peoples in Alaska) described the movie as "insensitive to family members of people who have gone missing in Nome over the years". Universal has refused to discuss the movie with that organization or with local journalists.

All this supposed "based on real events" is a load of crap.

Has anyone ever seen "Fire In The Sky"? Older movie but good- True story that happened in Arizona where I live.

Has anyone ever seen "Fire In The Sky"? Older movie but good- True story that happened in Arizona where I live.

Yes Franco, I seen it a few years ago, very good movie.

So much better than The Fourth Kind :happy:

Last edited:
Back